Shield recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jessie10133

Shield recordings

Post by jessie10133 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm

how to save recordings to a external USB hard drive on the shield tv

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Shield recordings

Post by jasonl » Mon May 20, 2019 7:39 pm

See the instructions at DVR Install - Android.

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:08 pm

@jasonl thanks for the reply im actually posting here because i dont understand those instructions in DVR Install - Android its saying that i could use an external drive “Use as removable storage” to save my records but thats not happening it is saving my records in my internal storage i dont want to do this because the recording files are 7gb and higher that is just gonna kill the lifespan of my nvidia shield tv internal which would make me buy another shield dont want that "correct me if im wrong" so from what it looks like is that i need to set the external drive as internal and then move the hdhomerun app to that new adoptable storage which was the external drive is this right????

"The following is Incorrect"
Q: Can I run an external USB on the Shield Pro? Which drive will it save to?
A: Yes, HDHomeRun Record will save to the external drive

Instructions:
If you are using an external drive, attach it to the Android device and set as “Use as removable storage”

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue May 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Are you using the regular Shield or the Shield Pro? The information from your DVR indicates it had about 440GB of free space, so that by definition means it's writing to a regular spinning hard drive, not flash. If you're using the regular Shield, that would have to be the external drive. If you configured the drive as internal storage when you first connected it, it will show that internal storage is in use, but would still be writing to the USB drive.