Can't play 4K/HDR HDHR Prime Recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JerryB

Can't play 4K/HDR HDHR Prime Recording

Post by JerryB » Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Verizon Fios broadcasted their first 4K/UHD/HDR recording last Saturday (FS1 4K channel). My HDHR Prime recorded the program perfectly. Unfortunately, the HDHR apps on my Android TV, Windows 10 Computer, and Android phone will not play the recording. I suspect your app software doesn't know what to do with a 4K HEVC/HDR recording. If this is the case, I wanted to bring this to your attention for future work and, if not, then I need support to figure out why I can't get this recording to play in your app on any of my devices. Of note, the recording is not copy protected. If I change the container to HEVC MKV, the recording plays fine in full 4K/HDR glory using a 4K compatible Plex app on my 4K TV.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Can't play 4K/HDR HDHR Prime Recording

Post by nickk » Tue May 14, 2019 6:56 am

Hi,

If you upload the recording to something like Dropbox or Google drive then PM me the share link we can test it here.

Nick

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

From what I can gather, the program is HEVC encoded. For Win10, Microsoft no longer support HEVC out of box. You need to purchase HEVC Extension app in Windows Store for $0.99. So, that's probably the first hurdle to overcome.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 am

foxbat121 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am
So, that's probably the first hurdle to overcome.
Similar possibilities for the Android devices. Not all devices support HEVC (either in hardware or software), especially the off-brand or budget or older Android version devices.

For the OP, what is the brand/model of your Android devices? That will probably help SD be able to check to determine if this is something about your devices, or something generic for all variants (and, of course, it could be both, so more information the better).

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:11 am

Yep. If OP could provide SD with the file, it would help everyone.

I wasn't aware that Verizon offered this 4K last weekend. The channel only plays 4K for the specific event. From what I can tell, the next event is 7/20 evening. That's a few months away and we don't know if Verizon will still carry it by then (FS1 4K channel 1499).

Also, according to what posted, the broadcasting is 23mbps Hevc stream. Does anyone think Prime6's 100mbps network port is really a bad idea when more 4K contents are online?

techpro2004

Post by techpro2004 » Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 am

I know the win 10 and android app support h265/ac3 as I have mcebuddy transcode all of my recordings to that.

JerryB

Post by JerryB » Tue May 14, 2019 1:47 pm

For simplicity, I try to reply to several questions at once.

1) I'm currently uploading the file to OneDrive (it's taking a while since it's 33.4 GB long) and I'll PM Nick the URL as soon as the upload finishes.

2) I have a fully updated Windows 10 computer (v1809) and have previously purchased the HEVC extension. I also have a Google Pixel 3 XL as my Android device. I work with HEVC files on a regular basis and know that my computer, phone, and 4K TV are able to play these files. As I tried to allude to in my first message, I could play the 4K/HDR recording on all of these devices once I changed the container to an HEVC MKV so the issue is not a problem with playing HEVC files on my devices. I just couldn't play the pseudo mpg version of the file using the HDHR app. The file shows up in the app but it doesn't play.

Lastly, I want to make sure that everyone knows that I'm not complaining. I doubt that SD has had much experience with 4K/HDR QAM cable recordings but I hope that the prevalence these recording increases and, if possible, I'd like to be able to play them with the SD app. Until then, I can always convert the file to a 4K HEVC MKV using VideoRedo, as I did with this recording, and then play it using a 4K compatible version of Plex.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks for the test recording.

You have to laugh... it won't play because of the audio track.

We will debug and fix.

Nick

JerryB

Post by JerryB » Tue May 14, 2019 3:23 pm

That is funny and the last thing that I would have suspected as causing the playback issue.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue May 14, 2019 6:15 pm

If I covert the audio format the 4k video plays (tested on Windows 10).

I can't make any sense out of the audio format. It is marked as AAC ADTS but doesn't looks to be ADTS.

JerryB

Post by JerryB » Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 am

I'm not an audio format expert so I can't help much with the audio issue. I do know that VLC recognizes the audio as ADTS and is able to play original HDHR mpg recording including audio without any difficulty. There are also parts of the recording where the audio drops to an extremely low volume, including the initial minutes of the recording. From what I've read, that's something that Fox Sports 1 does during their 4K broadcasts. When the regular (non-4K) FS1 cuts to a commercial, the 4K broadcast doesn't and just continues the 4K video stream with the announcers' mics turned off. I can still hear a low level of background noise so apparently, they leave the crowd mics on. Finally, here is the audio parameters from MediaInfo from the original mpg file and the file after I used VideoRedo to convert it to an MKV (using intelligent recording so it only changes audio and/or video formats if required to by the protocol which, given the speed of the conversion was not required in this case.)

Original mpg:
Audio
ID : 1162 (0x48A)
Menu ID : 116 (0x74)
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Format version : Version 2
Muxing mode : ADTS
Codec ID : 15-2
Duration : 3 h 30 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Delay relative to video : -352 ms
Language : English

VideoRedo produced MKV:
Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Duration : 3 h 30 min
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

I hope this helps.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed May 15, 2019 1:59 pm

ADTS is a header that is added to AAC to provide framing and parameter information. It is normally aligned withing PES frames.

The data within the PES frame doesn't start with an ADTS header and is different in each PES frame. This suggests the data is not aligned which is unusual but our code handles that.

Searching for ADTS headers there are possible sync hits but no headers reporting valid length information.

I haven't worked out how VLC is playing it.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Wed May 15, 2019 2:32 pm

It looks like there is a fault with the Microsoft HEVC codec as well.

With older versions of Windows 10 HEVC just worked if you have a CPU or GPU with HEVC support.
It seems now you need to buy the Microsoft HEVC Extension to get HW acceleration and that extension seems broken.

On my desktop with a RTX-2070 GPU the video plays but the video is a washed out pale white.
On my laptop with a 6th gen Intel CPU the video plays but the frames are out of order and the video is a washed out pale white.

Software HEVC decode works but it is maxining out an i7.

Running more tests.

Nick

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Post by ACraigo » Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Just as a personal observation... it's conversations like these that make me pretty sure I don't need to rush out and spend a bunch of money I don't have on 4K.

Carry on.

:D

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Wed May 15, 2019 3:15 pm

ACraigo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm
Just as a personal observation... it's conversations like these that make me pretty sure I don't need to rush out and spend a bunch of money I don't have on 4K.

Carry on.

:D
Heh. I'm personally not totally convinced HEVC is even the definite codec of the future. The licensing scheme under it is terrible compared to h264. I'm sure we'll get to 4k eventually, but I think we've still got some pretty good years out of mpeg2 and h264 left.