DVR - dug

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dug

DVR - dug

Post by dug » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

I am also looking for solution for the issue seen with the latest DVR firmware update. DVR is broken with the last update. (WD MyCloud)

I guess I will trying going back to the previous DVR firmware version.

Update: The good news is that the older version of DVR firmware works fine. The new firmware version doesn't recognize my activation. So, I will stick with the working firmware.

Working firmware is: hdhomerun_record_linux_20180817
Firmware that fails to activate: hdhomerun_record_linux_20190417

Doug

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: DVR - dug

Post by jasonl » Mon May 13, 2019 4:25 pm

20190417 was not working for you because it looks like the DVR was started without the configuration file. How did you install/start the DVR?

dug

Post by dug » Tue May 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Here is what I have on my WD Cloud: (sorry for any typos; this is hand typed)
* In directory /shares/Public/HDHomeRun:
- Subdir DVR for the recordings
- hdhomerun.conf, with RecordPath=/shares/Public/HDHomeRun/DVR, and StorageID=(the ID number)
- symlink hdhomerun_record -> hdhomerun_record_linux_20190417
- and the file "hdhomerun_record_linux_20190417"
* In directory /etc/init.d:
- symlink hdhomerun_record -> /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun_record

With cwd=/shares/Public/HDHomeRun, I tried stopping the service, then starting the service, and then checking status of the service. Eg, "./hdhomerun_record stop". All looks good from WD Cloud.

From a computer in my LAN, using chrome browser, http://my.hdhomerun.com/, the web page tells me I don't have DVR service. The tuner is found, just not DVR service.

If I go back to the previous version of hdhomerun_record, and stop/start the service, then all works fine. http://my.hdhomerun.com/ is able to tell that I have DVR service.

Q: Another person mentioned there was a change to the StorageID. Is that a real issue or misinformation? How would I query the StorageID to ensure the correct value in hdhomerun.conf? (or, is there an automated way to update the file?)

Thanks!
Doug

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue May 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Probably better to create an actual startup script so you can point it to the config file rather than just symlinking the binary. Remove the symlink in /etc/init.d and stop the DVR and then run this:

Code: Select all

cd /shares/Public/HDHomeRun

dd if=hdhomerun_record_linux_20190417 bs=4096 skip=1 | tar -xz hdhomerun_record_arm

sudo chmod +x hdhomerun_record_arm

echo -e \#\!/bin/sh\\n/shares/Public/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun_record_arm \$1 --conf /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun.conf | sudo tee /etc/init.d/hdhomerun_record

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/hdhomerun_record

sudo ln -sf /etc/init.d/hdhomerun_record /etc/rc2.d/S99HDHomeRun

sudo /etc/init.d/hdhomerun_record start
That should get it started in a way where it finds the config file and works normally.

dug

Post by dug » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Thank you for the help. All is working perfectly once I provide the config file with "--conf file".

Much appreciated!
Doug