Extend: Fan kicking on unnecessarily?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gregw74
Device ID: 1050EA18

Extend: Fan kicking on unnecessarily?

Postby gregw74 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:14 pm

I have an Extend and while watching live TV via the HD HomeRun app I am hearing the Extend's fan kick on. I don't recall this happening in the past. I thought this only happened when the device was transcoding or am I wrong? Is it possible to setup the Extend so that it never transcodes (always directplay?), thus no fan kicking on? If not, no biggie... I just need to send it in to get the device converted to the fanless flavor.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Extend: Fan kicking on unnecessarily?

Postby jasonl » Sun May 12, 2019 1:29 pm

The fan on the EXTEND is temperature controlled. Once the CPU reaches a specific temperature, the fan will turn on and continue to run until the temperature drops below the threshold, and will then turn back off.

If you're using an app like Plex that directly controls the transcode setting, you have to disable transcoding within the app. If you're using the HDHomeRun app it will use the default setting as configured on the Transcode Configuration page on the HDHomeRun's web page.

gregw74
Device ID: 1050EA18

Re: Extend: Fan kicking on unnecessarily?

Postby gregw74 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:03 am

Thank you Jason for the clarification, appreciate it.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”