HDHR - Still Supported?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
PCTools

HDHR - Still Supported?

Post by PCTools » Thu May 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Was going to pick up a used "white" model as a cost save, and wanted to ask if the firmware is still supported?

That is, is the current firmware on the website able to "update" this model? As I would like to purchase the older generation with the dual input antennas and it is new in the box. (Is this risky?)

And, is the new model HDHR5 a big difference in sensitivity?

Thanks again, as I want purchase one of these.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHR - Still Supported?

Post by jasonl » Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm

The latest firmware update for the old HDHR-US models was about 19 months ago. I wouldn't count on ever seeing another update for them, simply because at this point it's unlikely that there are any bugs that haven't been found. The older models do not support the advanced features available in newer models, such as HTTP/DLNA streaming and channel scanning built in to the device, both of which are required to use the HDHomeRun DVR, and are a big help in most other third-party applications like Plex. The newer models have significantly better tuning performance due to having 10 years of technological improvements. I'd say you probably want to stick to getting a new model.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Thu May 02, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks for the fast response.

My main question is the receiver sensitivity.

I do not use any of your software.

I just wanted to inquire if there is a difference if you would put this model against the HDHR5 and IF there would be any noticeable difference in the ability to capture fringe signals.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 02, 2019 6:46 pm

Yes, there is a noticeable difference. The newer tuners are far better at receiving weak signals than the older ones were.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Thu May 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Not sure if this is still a thing, but not long ago I emailed support and they exchanged my old tuner for a new one at reduced pricing on the newer models.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm

Jason,

Thanks for being so helpful. :-)

With all the firmware updates since the launch of the original HDHR (White in color model) with the individual coax cable connections:

1) Am I better off loading a specific version of firmware to avoid any issues?
- The newer firmware is catered to the "current" models and have additional features that the original models do not support?
- Could this hinder the old legacy model and create unnecessary confusion?

2) I think there is a order of operations to load firmware on the legacy devices - Been searching the forums, but if you have a linky that would be awesome.

Thanks again

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo » Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm

PCTools wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm
With all the firmware updates since the launch of the original HDHR (White in color model) with the individual coax cable connections:

1) Am I better off loading a specific version of firmware to avoid any issues?
- The newer firmware is catered to the "current" models and have additional features that the original models do not support?
- Could this hinder the old legacy model and create unnecessary confusion?
Each model has its own firmware version containing only the code that model can use. The latest for the 1st and 2nd generation (white box) Duals is dated 20170930. If you install the latest software (currently 20190417) it will upgrade your Duals to 20170930, which will make it possible for those old models to work with View's watch-only (non-DVR) program guide. I have 2 2nd-gen Duals, an HDHR4-2US and an HDTC-2US. I held off upgrading firmware for several years because I knew I couldn't downgrade the 4th-gen models and wasn't sure about the Duals (it turned out I could). But I've found no reason to downgrade. My Duals work fine with their latest firmware.
PCTools wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:13 pm
2) I think there is a order of operations to load firmware on the legacy devices - Been searching the forums, but if you have a linky that would be awesome.
You can manually install any FW version you have for the Dual (but not later models; you can only upgrade them) using HDHomeRun Config GUI, in the HDHR program directory. You can download just the FW (latest version) from Support|Downloads|HDHomeRun Software for Linux and scroll down to the bottom of that page. Despite the title, you don't need Linux to install it.

You asked in another post if the newer models are better than the Duals at receiving fringe signals. My 4th-gen models definitely are, and I've read that the current 5th-gen models are even more sensitive. But sensitivity comes at a cost. If you have strong local stations they could overload the tuners, requiring that you attenuate the input signal. If you also have weak signals, attenuation could prevent receiving them, requiring a more complicated setup such as a highly directional antenna aimed at the weak stations and away from the strong ones. TVs usually have just one tuner so they can use Automatic Gain Control to set the needed level for the station being received. But a wideband preamp feeding multiple tuners (which is what the powered splitter in the single-input models actually is) can't do that. So a strong local transmission could overload the preamp. It doesn't have to be the station you're trying to receive or even a TV station at all.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Sat May 04, 2019 7:07 am

Ebo,

Thanks for the narrative update. Looks like you have been using these models and very familiar with them.

Is there a way to determine if my HDHR is the first or second generation?
- I noticed some models have the entire white enclosure, while others are a two tone (white/grey).

I will proceed and upgrade to the latest version. And, yes their is an advantage to having the ability to change the firmware with these older models, as I like to tinker and measure signal strength. Thus, trying different firmware to see if there is any improvement(s).

I will keep you updated as my project continues. :-)

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Post by elabra » Sat May 04, 2019 9:53 am

PCTools wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:07 am
Ebo,

Thanks for the narrative update. Looks like you have been using these models and very familiar with them.

Is there a way to determine if my HDHR is the first or second generation?
- I noticed some models have the entire white enclosure, while others are a two tone (white/grey).

I will proceed and upgrade to the latest version. And, yes their is an advantage to having the ability to change the firmware with these older models, as I like to tinker and measure signal strength. Thus, trying different firmware to see if there is any improvement(s).

I will keep you updated as my project continues. :-)
I have a mixed environment as well and don't notice a difference in signal strength or sensitivity between the new and old models - IN MY AREA- your experience may/will be different.

I use the old model with PLEX since it doesn't care and uses it just fine to record while the HD DVR requires newer models to use as recording sources. You can't beat a $20-30 dual network tuner for PLEX since that is what I got it for as I recall a while back. Been using it with the latest firmware it supports for a long time without issues. It will only work as a VIEW device with the HD software.

The device itself must be 12-13 years old but SD makes great hardware and it has never had a problem.

HDHomeRun DUAL
Model: HDHR-US
Firmware: 20170930

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 pm

Device IDs starting with 1010-1012 are gen 1; 1013-101F are gen 2. The tuners in gen 1 drew more power and required a 2A power supply, while gen 2's were more efficient and only needed a 1A supply.

There is no reason not to use 20170930. It fixes a couple bugs, and if you use anything older than 20170815 you'll lose support for accessing via the HDHomeRun app.

There is no bootstrapping needed to get to the current firmware. It's not like something with a database where the schema has to be updated; since there's nothing stored on the device you can go from any version to the latest without an issue.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Wed May 08, 2019 4:37 pm

Well, the purchasing of a HDHR Generation 2, was for sure a bad idea and a complete time waster.

I highly recommend that anyone trying to save some cash in "attempting" to purchase these "vintage" models - should rethink and walk away. For the time spent debugging and trying to troubleshoot, I would have been better off purchasing a "newer" model.

This model had terrible sensitivity. I could see the channel on the TV, yet the HDHR would not detect it.

At the end of the day, I put this unit in the garbage and had an adult beverage to help diffuse the loss.

Now, I need to find a good deal on a HDHR4-2US.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am

I wonder if there is really much of a difference between the two models. HDHR4 and the HDHR5

That is, they probably use the same tuner and software.

So, what I am asking if there is any advantage to purchase the HDHR5 over the HDHR4 for simply OTA reception.

No DVR or anything will be used.

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am

HDHR5-2US/HDHR5-4US use newer, better tuners than what was in HDHR4-2US. There is an advantage for OTA reception.

PCTools

Post by PCTools » Thu May 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Jason,

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Now, I know what to purchase.

Outstanding customer service. :-)