Closed caption

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
The_Jonathan
Device ID: 10715F9E

Closed caption

Post by The_Jonathan » Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi, this closed captioning is always on. It must be closed manually.

This happens in old and new ui

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: Closed caption

Post by GetMatt » Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 pm

The_Jonathan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm
Hi, this closed captioning is always on. It must be closed manually.

This happens in old and new ui
Not sure what device you are using, but are you by chance using optical out stereo/sound bar and have the regular volume on the device muted?

The_Jonathan

Post by The_Jonathan » Wed May 01, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi,

This happen on my nvidia shield and it does not happen on my iOS devices.

And yes i am using a sound system and but my tv sound setting is not at zero ( even if my tv doesn’t produce sound). My stp hasn’t changed and the closed captionning always being on at first is new.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt » Wed May 01, 2019 10:10 pm

The_Jonathan wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:22 pm
Hi,

This happen on my nvidia shield and it does not happen on my iOS devices.

And yes i am using a sound system and but my tv sound setting is not at zero ( even if my tv doesn’t produce sound). My stp hasn’t changed and the closed captionning always being on at first is new.
So if your device volume is set to 0 then closed captions come on automatically. The only case where you could have volume at zero and have sound is with optical to a sound system. The only other case where closed captions turn on automatically is if you have captions turned on in the android settings under accessibility. So if the captions come on every time one of those scenarios is likely happening.

I don’t have a shield so I don’t even know if the first scenario is even possible.

Edit: When I say device volume I mean the shield not the tv. If it does not have its own volume control then the first scenario is probably not possible.

badbob001

Post by badbob001 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:31 pm

I see this on FireTv as well. Before, the CC setting would automatically turn on if FireTV's accessibility setting has Closed Captioning enabled. But now the CC setting always turns on after starting, regardless of the CC setting in the OS.

The_Jonathan

Post by The_Jonathan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:35 pm

This problem is still present on nvidia shield. As said previously, this isn’t present on iOS

By the pass, if I brought volume to zero, cc would turn on automatically.

Cc always on from the start is really annoying. Would be fun if some one from SD would respond to this...

As some one else from another topic said, SD often just ignore problems on this forum and seems to just hope problems goes away.

I really like the HDHomeRun product and i really wanted to give a chance in the software side especially with new ui coming. But I am starting to think to look at other options.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 am

The_Jonathan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:35 pm
This problem is still present on nvidia shield. As said previously, this isn’t present on iOS

By the pass, if I brought volume to zero, cc would turn on automatically.

Cc always on from the start is really annoying. Would be fun if some one from SD would respond to this...

As some one else from another topic said, SD often just ignore problems on this forum and seems to just hope problems goes away.

I really like the HDHomeRun product and i really wanted to give a chance in the software side especially with new ui coming. But I am starting to think to look at other options.
You didn't respond to the other user for a whole month, and we've haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I'm not sure what you want us to do in that situation.

We do use our own software, by the way. Even my father uses the HDHomeRun app on the Nvidia Shield every day. No one is ignoring problems being posted here, but not every forum thread contains enough information for us to determine what is going on in the first place, and often people don't return to post to say if a previously suggested solution worked or not.

In your specific case, have you checked to see if closed captions are turned on in Android's accessibility settings?

badbob001

Post by badbob001 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:55 am

I have firetv3 (pendant), firetv stick 4k, and firetv cube and I ONLY see this problem on the cube. The app on all devices is version 20190430 and the CC setting in accessibility is set to OFF.

On the cube, CC will re-enable itself every time I switch to another channel and even if I switch back to a channel that I had previously disabled CC. It'll actually flash 'Subtitle:On' in the GUI, indicating a change. Clearing cache/data/re-installing/toggle-new-or-old-gui doesn't help. Strange!

Does the app read the system's accessibility settings on every channel change? If it does, then there must be a problem with that feature and we should just have an option to ignore the system settings.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am

Are you using passthrough? If volume is 0 (and volume has no bearing on passthrough so you might not notice it is set to 0), captions will be turned on.

badbob001

Post by badbob001 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:37 pm

signcarver wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am
Are you using passthrough? If volume is 0 (and volume has no bearing on passthrough so you might not notice it is set to 0), captions will be turned on.
FireTV devices don't support internal volume control and at least for the firetv cube, audio-out is only through HDMI.

It seems like there is a lot of logic to try to determine when to enable subtitles but I'm not sure if this is to make it easier for the user or to save the programmers from having to create an options screen. Only in the new gui is there actually an options screen but it is mainly for troubleshooting and testing features.

The_Jonathan

Post by The_Jonathan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:37 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:59 am
You didn't respond to the other user for a whole month,
Nothing constructive to add, other then I was hoping that the problem would disapear as it appeared, all by itself.

NedS wrote:
and we've haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I'm not sure what you want us to do in that situation.
This is an acceptable anwser that I would have like to receive. This mean that it is a problem on my end.

NedS wrote:
In your specific case, have you checked to see if closed captions are turned on in Android's accessibility settings?
I didnt know that there was an overall option of having Closed captionning on the nvidia shield. I will have a look later tonight and report.
signcarver wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:21 am
I am not sure what is passtrough. My nvidia shield is plugged directly to TV (HDMI) and then sound goes to my sound system from TV. Nvidia shield sound is not at zero and tv sound is not at zero.

The_Jonathan

Post by The_Jonathan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Very bad on my part. In closed captionning section, we had "display" at on. We taught this was just to preview the closed captionning options and not to have closed captionning at on. We did this when we subscribed to cravetv and this app uses the CC options (colors) from the shields. I didnt at all do the link since i tough HDhomerun didnt use CC from the shield.

Neds your anwser oriented me well to the right direction. Thank you.

Jonathan

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:51 pm

FYI - I have filed a ticket internally regarding volume=0 with audio passthrough. Will get that fixed so CC doesn't false trigger.

(Not the OPs issue but it was something other people noted in this thread)

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:22 pm

We confirmed the app is working correctly - the CC auto-shows when the volume is controllable and set to zero. When AC3 passthrough is used auto-show feature is disabled as the volume level isn't known.

Nick

badbob001

Post by badbob001 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 am

nickk wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:22 pm
We confirmed the app is working correctly - the CC auto-shows when the volume is controllable and set to zero. When AC3 passthrough is used auto-show feature is disabled as the volume level isn't known.
So for my firetv cube, is CC auto-showing on every channel change because it thinks my volume is controllable and set to zero?

Can we please have a little more control on when cc is enabled? Are there many consumer products that auto-enable cc when the volume is set to zero (and ignores accessibility setting and user disabling)? What use case is this feature for anyway? For devices that only have channel up/down and volume up/down buttons?