Unable to apply Firmware update

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
usafle

Unable to apply Firmware update

Post by usafle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:19 pm

For whatever reason, my LiveTV stream stopped working today. So, I pulled the plug on the tuner and the HDhR box to reboot everything. Went to the my.hdhomerun.com noticed there was an update, applied the update (Version 20190417) however, my HDhR Record says it needs an update. It's currently on Version 20180817. No matter what I do, I can't get an update to go to it. I've re-downloaded and re-installed the hdhomerun_windows_20190417.exe, re-scanned everything... made some changes in there to try and get the update to push to the device... nothing.

Any suggestions?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Unable to apply Firmware update

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:22 pm

It looks like you're running the DVR on some sort of Linux device. How did you install it on there in the first place? Normally updating would just be a matter of reinstalling the same way you installed it to begin with, whether that's using the NAS Install button in HDHomeRun Setup, installing the latest package on a NAS, or downloading the hdhomerun_record binary and replacing the existing one with the new version.

usafle

Post by usafle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:27 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying, for whatever reason I'm no longer getting the email notifications from this forum. I need to look into that.

You are correct, I've got the recordings saved to a unRAID machine in my home. I'm using a Docker that someone built located https://hub.docker.com/r/yoshiofthewire/hdhomerundvr/

So you're probably saying, that person would have to update his Docker before the DVR will update? In the interim, I'm assuming I won't be able to record anything? Asking because the Wife is going to be pissed at me... I just need to prepare the excuses ahead of time :D

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Yes, the Docker would need to update since he has the binary included inside it. You may want to contact the author of the package and ask for it to be updated, since he may just not realize that the new version is available. You could also clone his repository and build it yourself with the new version, although I'm not super familiar with the inner workings of Docker and what would be involved in moving all the recordings from one to the other.

The old DVR version will continue to work, you just won't get any of the changes that have been made since that version. The main change in the 20190417 release was related to DRM channels for PRIME, so it doesn't affect everyone.

usafle

Post by usafle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:34 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:05 pm
Yes, the Docker would need to update since he has the binary included inside it. You could also clone his repository and build it yourself with the new version, although I'm not super familiar with the inner workings of Docker
The old DVR version will continue to work, you just won't get any of the changes that have been made since that version. The main change in the 20190417 release was related to DRM channels for PRIME, so it doesn't affect everyone.
That makes two of us. I'm just lucky and glad someone made a unRAID docker and I found it. I would have ZERO technical ability to update it or clone it.

I will inform the wife not to mess with any recordings that are scheduled. Hopefully the author of the docker realizes something has been updated and he pushes out a change.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond.