HD Homerun View not working

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bitemydust

HD Homerun View not working

Post by bitemydust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:29 pm

I have an older model HDHR4-2US running on a Windows 8.1 w/media center PC. Not that I ever use the HD Homerun View software that often, I notice with the latest software that this program simply doesn't work anymore. Windows Media Center works fine but the view software just gives me a blank screen with some info at the bottom saying demo failed and no channels/scan required. It has all the channels in the setup and I've re-scanned and as I said WMC works fine. Has support completely ended for this model? I'm actually thinking about getting some new tuners as this one doesn't do as good as my TVs tuner. Also I think that direct tuners such as a PCI or USB has better quality than network based tuners even though I'm running this direct via LAN. Are the new HDHomerun tuners any better? I'm thinking of getting a Hauppauge. The clarity just isn't there when I compare my TVs tuner to this one. I've had the HDHomerun for at least 6+ years now. Maybe time to move on?

bitemydust

Re: HD Homerun View not working

Post by bitemydust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:57 pm

oops, maybe this needs to be in the software forum. Now how can I move it? hmm

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Getting the no channels/scan required message means that the app could not retrieve the channel lineup from the device. For an HDHR4-2US, that would typically mean that you either have an ancient firmware version installed, you haven't run a channel scan, or there's some sort of software running on the PC interfering with the app communicating with the HDHomeRun, such as a VPN, firewall, or parental control software. What firmware version does your device have installed?

You're not going to see a clarity difference from one tuner to the next. Every tuner is going to be outputting the same bits, excluding any reception errors, which would appear as corruption in the video, not loss of clarity.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Running home run setup software version 20180921. Not sure about firmware as I don't see any mention of it. When I scan, all the channels are there in the setup software digital antenna page. . When I open view, the bottom line says 103B7E51: no channels/ scan required.

As far as clarity, I meant I have channels that break up on the homerun that don't break up on my TV tuner.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:17 pm

OK, so that's not an HDHR4-2US, that's an HDHR3-US, which is completely different in what might generate that error. Is the HDHomeRun connected in a way that it can reach our server? For the old Dual devices like that, the device doesn't have the capability of storing its own channel lineup. The HDHomeRun Setup program uploads the channel scan data to our server, then the HDHomeRun device asks the server for an access code to get its lineup, then provides that access code to the HDHomeRun app, which it then uses to retrieve the lineup from the server. If the device can't reach our server, it won't get the code, and the app will report that error since it has no way to get a channel lineup without one.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:09 pm

The Homerun device is connected to the computer via Ethernet LAN. The computer also has a WiFi USB dongle which is how it connects to the internet. The computer has built in WiFi but I have it disabled as I was having problems with it.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:54 pm

What signal source is the HDHomeRun connected to?

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:44 pm

OTA antenna in. Then hooked up directly to Ethernet port on the computer. I'm not using this on the network, strictly for the computer.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm

You'll need to enable internet connection sharing on the wifi dongle, sharing to the ethernet port the HDHomeRun is connected to, then disconnect/reconnect the network or reboot the HDHomeRun. Give it 5 minutes to reach out to the server and get the access code, then try the app again.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 am

Couldn't figure out how to do that. It's no biggie, I never really use it anyway. As long as WMC works that's all that matters. I'm getting new tuners on Friday anyway. Thanks for your help though.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Fri May 03, 2019 7:27 am

Yeah I tried it on 3 different computers. The Win 8 /media center machine and 2 Win10 machines. The view software simply doesn't work on the HDHR3-US units.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Fri May 03, 2019 8:56 am

The legacy devices to work with SD's apps require to be on modern firmware, a channel scan done from a windows machine (with recent full software package), and that the devices and tuner have access to the internet as the channel list is retrieved from SD as the device itself does not maintain a lineup. Also if pre win 10, make sure 32 bit vlc is installed (don't let 64 bit vlc touch the machine), and ac3 codec/filter must also be installed. For windows 10, most people would probably want the mpeg2 decoder pack (video extension) from the MS store. There have been some issues reported with the win 10 app and legacy equipment if on the new UI.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 am

I'm not talking about any apps. I'm talking about the "view" software program that comes from the software download. It use to work. With latest software it doesn't work anymore. I don't use any apps. I uses this strictly for the attached computer.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 am

They renamed "VIEW" to HDHomeRun (app) years ago though on win 7/8 it is still just VIEW but how it works is the same as the UI is essentially still updated/controlled remotely and REQUIRES to retrieve a channel list and in the case of legacy devices, this list is retrieved from SD based on a scan done from a windows machine (this goes for all SD's "apps" with the exception of the even older quickTV). As the result, the tuner and the client must have access to the internet.

infobits

Post by infobits » Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 pm

bitemydust wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:29 pm
I have an older model HDHR4-2US running on a Windows 8.1 w/media center PC. Not that I ever use the HD Homerun View software that often, I notice with the latest software that this program simply doesn't work anymore. Windows Media Center works fine but the view software just gives me a blank screen with some info at the bottom saying demo failed and no channels/scan required. It has all the channels in the setup and I've re-scanned and as I said WMC works fine. Has support completely ended for this model? I'm actually thinking about getting some new tuners as this one doesn't do as good as my TVs tuner. Also I think that direct tuners such as a PCI or USB has better quality than network based tuners even though I'm running this direct via LAN. Are the new HDHomerun tuners any better? I'm thinking of getting a Hauppauge. The clarity just isn't there when I compare my TVs tuner to this one. I've had the HDHomerun for at least 6+ years now. Maybe time to move on?
I just noticed that my HomeRun software on Windows 8.1 Pro also stopped working properly. I start it up and it gets the channel listings but the screen is black and there is no audio. I then tried updating to the latest version of HDHomerun software from the download site. Still does not work. They broke something for Windows 8.1 it seems. I am on a Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit OS. Like you, I also have Windows Media Center running and that works fine. I have the HDHomeRun Prime with 3 tuners hardware. My Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS using the same latest software version works also. So something peculiar with Windows 8.1 going on.