Apple TV App that plays DRM channels?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
munozj

Apple TV App that plays DRM channels?

Post by munozj » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 pm

I can get play DRM channels on the HDHomeRun app but there isn't one for the Apple TV.
I use "Channels" but that doesn't seam to be able to play DRM channels.
Is there an AppleTV app that will?
Or another "Set Top Box" type unit that would play DRM channels from the HDHomeRun?

Trying to make things as simple as I can for my wife.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Apple TV App that plays DRM channels?

Post by jasonl » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:11 pm

There are no DRM options for Apple TV at this time. We are planning to release an Apple TV app at some point, but do not yet know if it will meet the requirements for DRM content. Your best option at this time is a Google-certified Android TV box such as the NVIDIA Shield, Xiaomi MiBox S, or Jetstream Android TV. Other options that will work are a Windows 10 mini PC or an Xbox One.

ReyRaym

Post by ReyRaym » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 pm

What does this mean "do not yet know if it will meet the requirements for DRM content."
All I have is Apple TV boxes, to have to buy Android boxes is not really a good "solution."
DMR didn't work with HDHomerun viewer at first, whats the problem with porting over to tvos?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 pm

ReyRaym wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 pm
What does this mean "do not yet know if it will meet the requirements for DRM content."
All I have is Apple TV boxes, to have to buy Android boxes is not really a good "solution."
DMR didn't work with HDHomerun viewer at first, whats the problem with porting over to tvos?
It means we won't know until we get into the "nuts and bolts" of the system. There are a lot of variables, including Apple's specific requirements for tvOS (as opposed to general iOS development), and both regulatory and technical requirements to secure the video path for DRM-restricted channels. Maybe it will be easy, maybe it won't, but we can't make promises until we know more.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:36 pm

munozj wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:28 pm
I can get play DRM channels on the HDHomeRun app but there isn't one for the Apple TV.
I use "Channels" but that doesn't seam to be able to play DRM channels.
Is there an AppleTV app that will?
Or another "Set Top Box" type unit that would play DRM channels from the HDHomeRun?

Trying to make things as simple as I can for my wife.
Channels has a beta that can play and record live TV from tv everywhere apps. No DRM.

https://community.getchannels.com/t/new ... ta/17405/5