NAS Selection

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Post Reply
Retired1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:06 pm

NAS Selection

Post by Retired1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am

With WMC reaching End of Life in January, It's time for me to start thinking of replacing it. It will be hard after using it for almost 15 years. to start with I was thinking of getting the following NAS:
Synology DS218+

Is this a good choice or bad. If not, why?

Thanks

techpro2004
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by techpro2004 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 am

Personally, I had some issues with a new synology burning out a few years back and will never buy a synology again, although that does not seem to be too common. Nas are like cookies, you always want more. The trick with nas is to plan for future needs. a dual core 2.5 Ghz cpu seems like a lot but in reality it is not. It meets the minimum specs for the hdhomerun dvr, but what happens when you decide to watch tv out of the house and need plex or emby. I says it does transcoding but I have run into issues with fly by night transcoding support on these nas devices where one update removes this feature with no hope of getting it back. My advice is to go for an dell t30 (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Newest-Powe ... way&sr=8-3). It is much much more powerful, very reliable and very expandable/future proof. It is also very reasonably priced for an 6 bay system (4x3.5" and 2x2.5"). I personally have several of these and there precursor, the t20. They run any operating system out there with ease weather it is linux, windows, or freebsd based. I wholeheartedly recommend the t30. Please keep in mind, everyone here has their own opinion of what they like and all that matters is what works for you and your situation.

clarkss12
Posts: 1198
Joined: Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 am
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951
Location: Michigan, USA
Contact:

Re: NAS Selection

Post by clarkss12 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:49 am

techpro2004 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 am
Personally, I had some issues with a new synology burning out a few years back and will never buy a synology again, although that does not seem to be too common. Nas are like cookies, you always want more. The trick with nas is to plan for future needs. a dual core 2.5 Ghz cpu seems like a lot but in reality it is not. It meets the minimum specs for the hdhomerun dvr, but what happens when you decide to watch tv out of the house and need plex or emby. I says it does transcoding but I have run into issues with fly by night transcoding support on these nas devices where one update removes this feature with no hope of getting it back. My advice is to go for an dell t30 (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Newest-Powe ... way&sr=8-3). It is much much more powerful, very reliable and very expandable/future proof. It is also very reasonably priced for an 6 bay system (4x3.5" and 2x2.5"). I personally have several of these and there precursor, the t20. They run any operating system out there with ease weather it is linux, windows, or freebsd based. I wholeheartedly recommend the t30. Please keep in mind, everyone here has their own opinion of what they like and all that matters is what works for you and your situation.
What is the power draw?? Just a quick look, but I did not see it.

NYPlayer
Posts: 3538
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A
Location: Portland OR, 97217

Re: NAS Selection

Post by NYPlayer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 am

I got the Synology DS1019+ x64 (Celeron J3455) 1.5-2.3 Ghz …. I upgraded to 16GB Memory … Run HdHomeRunDVR+Comskip, Plex, Emby, Channels DVR and Windows 10 Virtual machine on it … does hardware Transcoding... a bit Expensive but worth the Price …. No problem if you want to upgrade the Storage if needed .. there is also an 5bay Expansion Unit DX513 if you want to add more drive bays. I have it sitting on my Main Entertainment Center very quiet and runs cool.

BTW it replaced my Windows Server no longer have a Desktop running Only Have Laptops and tablets.

GetMatt
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:45 pm
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Re: NAS Selection

Post by GetMatt » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am

Really depends on what you plan to run on it. If just HDHomeRun DVR a less powerful NAS will do fine. If using Plex or anything else that transcodes you need something with more power. Just running HDHomeRun DVR we use a MyCloud EX2 Ultra and it has no issues. It can also handle 1-2 transcodes from Plex.

Also if you need DRM support you will only be able to use HDHomeRun DVR (once record support arrives later this year) and the requirements for content protection are currently unknown so it’s pissible whatever you select won’t work. We will just have to wait and see.

Retired1
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by Retired1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 am

So I am planning on using HDHomeRun for Recordings including DRM support. I thought that was all worked out and working now. What exactly does DRM keep you from recording. I can’t believe that only Microsoft was able to do that. Maybe I should wait a little. Right now I am still using windows 7 withMedia Center and windows home server.

rpcameron
Posts: 837
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:55 am

Re: NAS Selection

Post by rpcameron » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:31 am

Retired1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 am
So I am planning on using HDHomeRun for Recordings including DRM support. I thought that was all worked out and working now. What exactly does DRM keep you from recording. I can’t believe that only Microsoft was able to do that. Maybe I should wait a little. Right now I am still using windows 7 withMedia Center and windows home server.
DRM only applies to CableCARD users. Cable operators can mark certain channels (or even individual broadcasts) with particular flags. The copy-freely flag basically equates to no DRM; you can basically do what you want with the recording. The copy-once flag means that you can make a single recording of the broadcast, but to ensure that it cannot be copied off your device, playback requires a protected playback path; this is what is generally referred to as DRM. There is also the copy-never flag, which means you can watch the broadcast live, but you cannot make a recording of it; this is infrequently used, but was originally geared towards sports and PPV type situations. (There are some other flags and bits, but those are the most significant and relevant.)

DRM recording has been stated to be coming, and IIRC SD recently stated that DRM recording was required for the Prime 6 release. It is believed that they will debut together, although I can't see a technical requirement about why releasing DRM recording support would necessitate the availability of the Prime 6. Of course, when the Prime 6 will be released is anybody's guess as it hasn't received CableLabs certification yet as far as I am aware.

smithkt
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by smithkt » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:32 am

Retired1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 am
So I am planning on using HDHomeRun for Recordings including DRM support. I thought that was all worked out and working now. What exactly does DRM keep you from recording. I can’t believe that only Microsoft was able to do that. Maybe I should wait a little. Right now I am still using windows 7 withMedia Center and windows home server.
DRM recording/playback is still not supported. Only live viewing of DRM using the HDHomerun app on supported platforms which are currently Windows 10, Android TV, and Xbox One.

If you need DRM recording, stick with what you have.

Beerman
Posts: 1430
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by Beerman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:55 am

I've used the Synology DS415+ with only 2gb memory and it runs HD DVR and Plex just fine for me. I've thought about upgrading the ram but see no need to though if I ever replace this with an newer version, I would. I've had this since HD DVR was first released.

I also have a QNAP TS-451 with 8gb memory that I use mainly for true work and backups. While I do keep some music and video on it, it's not used for that though it is also a great NAS. I would recommend either of these brands and have no knowledge of other brands.

techpro2004
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by techpro2004 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:50 am

I have never measured the power draw on the t30. I have the pentium models which they don't make any more so it would not be accurate for the new xeon chips. I used to use an xeon t20 for the hdhomerun dvr and emby but as I said nas are like cookies, you always want more so I upgraded to a t330 which is excessive for just the hdhomerun dvr and emby/plex. (I do other things with it as well). That being said, the t30 is an excellent system and I am in the market to purchase another one for offsite storage, I am just waiting for a sale on it as I have seen the price go as low as $299 in the past. I am in no rush.

techpro2004
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by techpro2004 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:02 am

I used to have a qnap ts-251+. Emby required the media streaming add on for hardware transcoding. This was back before plex supported gpu transcoding. Qnap removed gpu support from the media streaming add on for licensing reasons and I was stuck unable to use emby. I also had a windows vm running on the qnap so that I could use mcebuddy to remove commercials which burned out the cpu on the qnap. My advice is to stay far away from qnap/synology and use a proper system.

demonrik
Posts: 1104
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 10:03 am
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Re: NAS Selection

Post by demonrik » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 am

From all the replies you should be understanding now it's never a simple choice :)

If you just want a NAS for the DVR storage there are many alternatives to Qnap/Synology/Asustor or others.
Would encourage you do do some research into the benefits any solution might provide and weight them up against your needs/desire.

For example.. you could simply buy a raspberry Pi, an SD card and a 1TB USB drive and be up and running for <$100
But you have to build to be comfortable with the overheads of creating the SD card, working in linux, etc.
The T30 above is like a bigger/better version which add incremental potential.. which ultimately is going to be up to you to invest your time into to realize for both.
The T30 or any other PC based system advantage is the bigger CPU, potentially GPU transcoding (depends on config), single large case for adding drives, better drive performance than USB, etc..

The advantage of a commercial NAS is the companies do a lot of work and you have minimal investment over and above $
I originally purchased a NAS for something else other than DVR.. I have tried many different build your own solutions for NASes for years before that so I learnt what i wanted/needed, where gaps were and ultimately what advantages you get with these devices. Advantages include:
- low power/heat ; even building small ITX NAS the heat of running 40-150W did keep the room warm
- easily access to drive bays to increment storage - but beware.. it's not as simple as many think.. you have to match capacity, or end up doing strange things.
- easily setup backups for client devices to the NAS.. and from NAS to cloud service(s)
- prepackaged applications for various aspects of data management from Plex/Emby on video, to photo managment, etc.
- smaller unit which is easily placed/hidden than large PC

My advice is to take your time. Look at options, weight up costs in both $ investment, and time you want to spend on setting up, etc.

If you already have decided to invest.. then the Synology 218 is a good entry point.
Personally I prefer QNAP - main difference I would say is that Synology is more geared to a less experienced user, so if experienced it can be infuriating when you can't easily get to what you want. Qnap is better.
But I would also recommend Asustor.. their NASes tend to be a little cheaper, and after playing around with them IMHO they hit a nice sweet spot of providing nice high level interfaces, while still providing the more advanced options when needed. Package availability is not as extensive as the other 2, but growing and pretty decent.

Rickt1962
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by Rickt1962 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 am

Retired1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:43 am
With WMC reaching End of Life in January, It's time for me to start thinking of replacing it. It will be hard after using it for almost 15 years. to start with I was thinking of getting the following NAS:
Synology DS218+

Is this a good choice or bad. If not, why?

Thanks
WMC-7 will still work afterwards DRM will still work with cable providers as for channel guide you will have to pay $ 25.00 http://epg123.garyan2.net/

TJH132
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Re: NAS Selection

Post by TJH132 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 am

NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 am
I got the Synology DS1019+ x64 (Celeron J3455) 1.5-2.3 Ghz …. I upgraded to 16GB Memory … Run HdHomeRunDVR+Comskip, Plex, Emby, Channels DVR and Windows 10 Virtual machine on it … does hardware Transcoding...
Bought the same thing a month back. Have moved Plex server and security cam recording over to it with no problems, but was horrified to see it really couldn't handle interlaced video (recorded with hdhomerun) sent to a Chromebox (how I watch TV in the computer room). It was buffering down to even SD levels. I think it Direct Plays just fine to the Nvidia Shield TV. In the end, I decided against setting up the DVR engine on the DS1019+

NYPlayer
Posts: 3538
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:45 am
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A
Location: Portland OR, 97217

Re: NAS Selection

Post by NYPlayer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 am

TJH132 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:59 am
NYPlayer wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:27 am
I got the Synology DS1019+ x64 (Celeron J3455) 1.5-2.3 Ghz …. I upgraded to 16GB Memory … Run HdHomeRunDVR+Comskip, Plex, Emby, Channels DVR and Windows 10 Virtual machine on it … does hardware Transcoding...
Bought the same thing a month back. Have moved Plex server and security cam recording over to it with no problems, but was horrified to see it really couldn't handle interlaced video (recorded with hdhomerun) sent to a Chromebox (how I watch TV in the computer room). It was buffering down to even SD levels. I think it Direct Plays just fine to the Nvidia Shield TV. In the end, I decided against setting up the DVR engine on the DS1019+
I think that has to do more with Plex … Because I watch Interlaced 1080i Remotely on my phone transcoded to 480 and it works great in Channels DVR.... Maybe Plex is not handling the hardware transcoding … have you Installed the latest Plex server not the one that comes with the nas and enabled hardware transcoding.

Just tested 1080I on my Cell Data at 480p and it works just fine using Plex.

Post Reply