DVR Engine Tuner Allocation

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
TBlankenheim

DVR Engine Tuner Allocation

Post by TBlankenheim » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:28 pm

I have come across a situation where the DVR engine seems to allocate an additional tuner on the same channel that a recording is taking place on.

When setting up DVR recording schedules I usually pad the front end of the recording by 1 minute and the back end by 3 minutes. When there are two consecutive recordings on the same channel, everything seems to be working as expected and only 1 tuner is used. If I begin watching the channel live, it again works as expected and only 1 tuner is used.

However, if the live stream is still active during the transition from the first show being recorded to the second show being recorded, it looks like the DVR engine allocates a second tuner on the same channel. Two tuners are now in use until the live stream ends or the recording completes, which ever comes first.

Is this the expected behavior?

This could be a problem if there doesn't happen to be an available tuner when the second show is scheduled to record.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: DVR Engine Tuner Allocation

Post by jasonl » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:50 am

That is expected, yes. The DVR will split a channel for up to 2 uses, which can be live+recording, or 2 recordings.

TBlankenheim

Post by TBlankenheim » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Bummer! Might I inquire why the 2 stream limitation?

I suppose I can train my wife to view the recorded stream, but old habits die hard!

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Has something to do with the internal architecture of the DVR, I'm not entirely sure on the details.