HDHomeRun extend direct to chromecast

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Knox

HDHomeRun extend direct to chromecast

Post by Knox » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:56 am

Looking to pick up one of these tuners for me, my father in law, and my parents.

I have a plex server so I don’t think I need the extend but my parents don’t have plex, can the extend stream directly to chromecast because it transcodes or is there an not chromecast app built? I’ve built a number of my own chromecast apps if the latter is the case.

If i plan on using plex anyway is there any reason to get the extend? Other then it might save my plex server some cpu cycles?

Another question, did plex fix the issue with locking/unlocking tuners? I had a HDHomeRun for my cable box 2 years ago and plex didn’t handle it well.

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun extend direct to chromecast

Post by jasonl » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Simply transcoding the video isn't enough; Chromecast doesn't support the audio or container formats either.

The EXTEND will save a lot of CPU cycles on the Plex server by handling the transcoding.

As far as I know, Plex works fine as long as it is the only thing using the tuners. It still does not play nicely with others.