Strange Audio Issue on Nvidia Shield

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
leenypost

Strange Audio Issue on Nvidia Shield

Post by leenypost » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Nvidia Shield 2015 16GB
Using Android App Version 20190305
Prime version 20180817
WDPR4100 DVR version 20181107

When I change a channel or press rewind or fast forward on a recording it takes anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds for audio to begin playing. When it's 1 second it's not so bad but 3 seconds makes using fast forward through commercials very difficult as you miss what people say when the show first returns and you also have to hit rewind once or twice and wait up to 3 seconds again.

There is also this strange clicking sound (almost like a faint sound of a woman walking in heels) in repetition coming from the speakers during the 1-3 second wait for sound to start.

I have a sound bar connected to the TV via optical audio cable but the TV also has its own speakers so I tried to use just the TV speakers to see if it had something to do with the sound bar but the TV speakers do the same thing.

I have tried turning on and off use AC3 passthrough when possible in the HDHomerun app settings and turning it off seems to eliminate the delay but then the audio goes out of sync with the video. Turning this on brings the delay and clicking noise back.

I also very rarely get a crazy high pitch noise that will not go away until I leave the app. It's unmistakeably loud. I close the app , go back to the shield homescreen and it goes away. When this noise is present all other sounds cease to exist on the device.

Also, I do not have this issue on Xbox One X , only on Shield.

I hope I have provided sufficient information. If anyone has any idea what else I can try please let me know. Thank you.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Strange Audio Issue on Nvidia Shield

Post by nickk » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm

The symptom suggests your TV takes time to detect and switch to AC3 mode.
When you pause or FF the audio likely stops for long enough that your TV drops out of AC3 mode and had to re-detect again.

XBox always outputs AC3 so won't have this problem.

Quick test - try connecting the sound bar directly to the Shield - if that fixes the problem it suggests the TV is the problem and the sound bar is better at AC3 detection.

Turing off "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" should fix things however if using optical you will be stuck with stereo sound.

Nick

leenypost

Re: Strange Audio Issue on Nvidia Shield

Post by leenypost » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:39 pm

nickk wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:34 pm
The symptom suggests your TV takes time to detect and switch to AC3 mode.
When you pause or FF the audio likely stops for long enough that your TV drops out of AC3 mode and had to re-detect again.

XBox always outputs AC3 so won't have this problem.

Quick test - try connecting the sound bar directly to the Shield - if that fixes the problem it suggests the TV is the problem and the sound bar is better at AC3 detection.

Turing off "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" should fix things however if using optical you will be stuck with stereo sound.

Nick
Thank you , I'll give that a try and see how it goes 👍