DRM

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Sammy2

DRM

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Will DRM ever get supported in the HDHR App? I might get basic cable and a Cable card again as well as PremiumTV is dead but a better GUI is necessary in the HDHR App.

rpcameron

Re: DRM

Post by rpcameron » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:04 pm
Will DRM ever get supported in the HDHR App? I might get basic cable and a Cable card again as well as PremiumTV is dead but a better GUI is necessary in the HDHR App.
DRM is supported in SD's app. No other app supports it though.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:13 pm

I want to record too.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Yes, support for recording DRM content in the HDHomeRun DVR is still being worked on.

wutdarthur

Post by wutdarthur » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Is there any estimate as to when recording might be available? Also, is it possible to surface the HDHomeRun DVR recordings in Android TV's live channels? Having a simple interface with a grid guide would make the WAF significantly higher.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm

wutdarthur wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm
Is there any estimate as to when recording might be available? Also, is it possible to surface the HDHomeRun DVR recordings in Android TV's live channels? Having a simple interface with a grid guide would make the WAF significantly higher.
Anecdotally, DRM recording won't show up until they release the Prime 6. There's no real technical reason—at least as far as I can tell—for the software and hardware to coincide. SD has made many statements in the past that DRM recording won't show up until, even though apparently it seems to be working fine for them in private testing.

As far as recordings in Live Channels: only non-DRM will integrate as they currently do when using the Live Channels as your DVR. Only SD's software will allow for DRM viewing, recording, and viewing of recorded programs.

wutdarthur

Post by wutdarthur » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 am

rpcameron wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 pm
Anecdotally, DRM recording won't show up until they release the Prime 6. There's no real technical reason—at least as far as I can tell—for the software and hardware to coincide. SD has made many statements in the past that DRM recording won't show up until, even though apparently it seems to be working fine for them in private testing.

As far as recordings in Live Channels: only non-DRM will integrate as they currently do when using the Live Channels as your DVR. Only SD's software will allow for DRM viewing, recording, and viewing of recorded programs.

Interesting, that doesn’t sound like the best idea? Why not have many, many testers and users of Prime 3 to ensure everything works now? Prime 6 would simply scale it out even more. Sounds like an opportunity to resolve issues earlier.

I’m still holding out hope they make it better looking and eventually add a grid guide. I wish they would partner or BUY the Channels DVR app. They have the GUI down and DVR engine down, just pricey and does not support DRM.

Live Channels apparently does indeed work with DRM channels if you use HDHomeRun as the source, not network tuner. I’m not sure if you can record them or not, I would doubt it.

My question is whether or not programs recorded and scheduled via HDHomeRun DVR would appear in the Live Channels app. Regardless of whether or not it was DRM. I did not know if HdHR DVR integration could go this far or not.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 am

Using Live Channels' DVR means that it handles the DVR process. This means no integration with SD's software; either you use Google's or SD's, but not both integrated together.

As far as releasing DRM recording: there is no good reason I can see for delaying its release. All I can report is that in the past SD has said its release with be with the new Prime. (Well, we all actually originally expected it with the original DVR release as promised, but that never materialized. DRM viewing was actually removed for a while.)

Grid guide may be coming. Within the past year they are no longer saying "No, never", but whether it materializes is another question. (They say it's tied to their "New UI", which has broken DRM viewing for some.)

As always, just base your plans and purchases around current and available features. Planning because something "is coming soon" is never a good idea, because plans can change.

dsnyder86
Device ID: 107389FD, 1073B766

Post by dsnyder86 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Here is my guess about drm and sd's implementation.

SD will provide an encrypted/protected harddrive for drm recordings attached to their tuner (Scribe / Servio/ Prime 6?) . Non drm may be recorded on your own device.

Their software would combine actual locations to be logically merged into one 'recorded' collection for user selection and recording rule verification.

Just my 2 cents.

rrussis82

Post by rrussis82 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:22 am

dsnyder86 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:16 pm
Here is my guess about drm and sd's implementation.

SD will provide an encrypted/protected harddrive for drm recordings attached to their tuner (Scribe / Servio/ Prime 6?) . Non drm may be recorded on your own device.

Their software would combine actual locations to be logically merged into one 'recorded' collection for user selection and recording rule verification.

Just my 2 cents.
I had that same thought, and when I posted it, SD said that was not the case.. It actually makes no sense anyways as the scribe is an OTA device, so why tie DRM recording with an OTA device?

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx » Wed May 01, 2019 10:49 am

I would guess it's more likely an encrypted file written to any normal DVR location, with the decryption/validation coming from the cloud.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Wed May 01, 2019 1:40 pm

rpcameron wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 am
As far as releasing DRM recording: there is no good reason I can see for delaying its release.
Having done (and reviewed (and found lacking)) crypto codes, I can imagine a number of scenarios which requires process approvals that effectively delays both items through the same process. Some of those have been previously conjectured here (so you can read the archives if you want), but since SD has not (and likely never will) share the details of their implementation those will continue to be just conjecture, even if they do provide plausible explanations.