Throw in the Towel with SD's Video Software

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
themusj

Re: Throw in the Towel with SD's Video Software

Post by themusj » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:43 am

In development is always a good first step, but I don't know of any DVR release improvement's since I signed up in September 2018. Or do I have that wrong,?

themusj

Post by themusj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 am

Knock on wood..

Everything recorded properly since the change by SD.

Thank you, the warm feelings are coming back :-)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:03 am

There has not been any change... you are still subject to same limitations that the show has episode data available at the time of recording (when it gets the rule, most recent hour of the last 4 it was able to retrieve such)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Gracenote has indicated that they resolved the issue that was causing episode data to not propagate to the H&I affiliates.

themusj

Post by themusj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:05 pm

i was referring to the 'solution' of moving the guide for H&I to generic. I understand this isn't a solution in stone, and I am hoping this thread has encouraged SD to find a more reliable solution. But that being said, I appreciate them stepping in and addressing my problem.

themusj

Post by themusj » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:26 pm

So this coming Sunday, The Office, in the HDHomerun DVR schedule does not list any episode numbers though it list 20 listings for March 31st on that day. All day on channel 63.3.

Then it picks up listing the episodes and numbers Monday April 1st.

Does that mean it will not record ANY of those episodes???

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Correct, but it might get one if you don't have any. In the past, SD has indicated one offs should work but i have never seen such work once there is a recording with no data.

You could try an alternate source and see if some are repeated through the day... then make a rule with large enough padding to cover (may need to select a middle episode as a one off as padding values might limit out as i think max is 1 hour before and 3 hours after)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Case opened.

themusj

Post by themusj » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 am

I appreciate the case being opened. I really do.

But is it just me, or should there not be a way to force recording of shows? It seems a lot of work for SD to have to open a case each time this comes up due to scheduling information lacking for successful recording.

If this is now happening frequently to me, it surely is happening to others.

Seems if a program is on, seen by the DVR as so, it shouldn't have to have the season and episode number to record.

If a person selects episodes manually so that they show up in the task list like movies, will that fix the issue of it skipping them?

At least then, though a chore, I could be on the lookout for these, "quirks" and manually select the episodes (if this would force record them).

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Post by JeffRand » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:52 am

themusj wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:39 am
But is it just me, or should there not be a way to force recording of shows? It seems a lot of work for SD to have to open a case each time this comes up due to scheduling information lacking for successful recording.
It is not just you. They have stated that they will be looking at improvements after they get the new UI done (whenever that will be).
IMO, they really need to do a lot to get their DVR on par with other DVR's. I plan to retire my Windows 8.1 Media Center, if they ever get to a point where the functionality is about the same. But, I need the ability to record and watch DRM cable channels, otherwise I would have moved on long ago.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:57 am

themusj wrote:
I appreciate the case being opened. I really do.

If this is now happening frequently to me, it surely is happening to others.

Seems if a program is on, seen by the DVR as so, it shouldn't have to have the season and episode number to record.

If a person selects episodes manually so that they show up in the task list like movies, will that fix the issue of it skipping them?

At least then, though a chore, I could be on the lookout for these, "quirks" and manually select the episodes (if this would force record them).
It's certainly always worth talking through ways of both giving more control over recordings (and information about when a show will and will not definitively record) and coming up with ways to more intelligently automate recordings, even when issues like Gracenote messing up show up. We have ideas for how to solve these issues, but we still need to fully develop them out.

And as JeffRand said, it's certainly not just you. We've definitely heard from many that they'd like similar improvements.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:30 pm

themusj wrote:
As I said:
jasonl wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:24 pm
The #1 DVR-related thing I'm trying to get on the development schedule is an option to bypass duplicate detection for recordings.

Individual recordings do not go through the duplicate detection and will always record. Only series recordings are checked for duplicates.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:10 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:30 pm
Individual recordings do not go through the duplicate detection and will always record. Only series recordings are checked for duplicates.
That does not seem very robust as even single recordings can be broadcast on multiple channels and at multiple times. But maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:04 pm

If you go into the DVR and select a single airing of something to record, it will record even if you have already recorded that episode in the past. If you have a series recording set up and it comes across an episode that has already recorded in the past, it will not record it again, unless you had selected the 're-record" option in the DVR when deleting it. The issue themusj had in this thread is that if there is no episode data in the listings, the DVR doesn't know how to differentiate one from the next, so it thinks they're all the same episode, and considers them duplicates and only records the first one. If it's a show like The Office that should have data but doesn't, then that's a glitch in the guide listings and we ask the provider to fix it, as long as someone notices it ahead of time. What I am pushing for is an option to record all episodes, even if the DVR thinks it's the same as a previous recording. This requires changes to the scheduling backend, the DVR software, and the UI, so it's not a small undertaking, and requires scheduling engineering time to implement all of that.

themusj

Post by themusj » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 pm

It is working. While the program guide information was not fixed in time; selecting the individual episodes manually is allowing them to record even as we speak. Must be some Office marathon. About 20 episodes, all with the same title, are recording.

The good news about this 'solution' is I am not missing any episodes with no episode information. The bad wrinkle is when you select manual episodes, it un-checks apparently the selection of 'record entire series.' Hence, before it skips tomorrow's episodes, I have to re-select record entire series or I'll miss the rest.