Throw in the Towel with SD's Video Software

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
themusj

Throw in the Towel with SD's Video Software

Post by themusj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Is Plex a good alternative to SD's video recording software? I mean, I have had with SD's program not recording key programs as expected. Tonight Monk season finale and episodes were set to record and it skipped all of them. This time the log said the "Line 1901: 20190314-20:59:30 Recording: Monk 20020712 [20190314-2000] same as previous recording and Line 1902: 20190314-20:59:30 Recording: Monk 20020712 [20190314-2100] same as previous recording.

Several times this went on I assume for each episode it skipped. Yet I clearly do not have any of those episodes recorded.

I want something dependable and this is not it. Besides this nonsense, I want something to avoid scheduling conflicts. I understand Plex will do that. Any negatives?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Throw in the Towel with SD's Video Software

Post by nickk » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 pm

Wondering if these are episodes that have been previously recorded and deleted - when you delete a recording the HDHomeRun DVR gives you the option to delete (don't re-record) or to delete & re-record.

It could also be caused by not having episode information in the guide data.

I can check both of these if you post the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm

I own a Lifetime Plex Pass but for my household I decided to go with Channels. I wish SD would give up on their DVR software solution and focus on hardware which is where they excel. I would prefer they partner up with Channels and bring DRM to that platform. I no longer use SDs DVR.

https://getchannels.com

themusj

Post by themusj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

My history was just cleared last week for another issue; but I've never recorded Monk before so I know that is not the issue.

Device ID: 10718B3B

themusj

Post by themusj » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

I'll look at Channels thank you. Overall I have been pleased; but like many others, it seems the software improvements promised just are not coming. But these issues where I get so close to completing a entire series and loose it like this is extremely frustrating.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 pm

If it was a history issue you wouldn't even see it mentioned in the log. The issue here is no episode data so you already had a previous recording with the same date. Back when SD had data from fyi, they had "fixed" this by recording anything that matched the series start date... since going to gracenote, they no longer provide that date (a lot of my apps still try to display that field so show an error and is something i need to fix before sharing some of them) but they may have also updated the engine to no longer even check since it is not provided.

themusj

Post by themusj » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:37 am

So you are saying in essence it was a SD bug?

I know two things. One, the episodes missed we're indeed the ones listed by all TV guides and schedules as I checked, and even watched live the last one it failed to record near it's end. Two, never tried to record the series before before.

The episodes missed we're indeed NOT in the same folder or previously recorded. So when it just randomly stops recording season finale and pilot it is very irritating and one starts to look elsewhere for a solution.

themusj

Post by themusj » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Nick any feedback on this following giving you the device ID?

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:08 am

I tried going to Channels and it didn't work for me. I am back to SD unfortunately. See reference post for issues I've had with Channels. https://community.getchannels.com/t/new ... ight/14607

themusj

Post by themusj » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:08 pm

I've been looking more closely at Plex. My co-worker has an HD HomeRun device and has shared good results with it and Plex running on a PC. For my part, I actually at present just use SD's Video software to record and watch and playback using Kodi pointing to three different My Clouds. So when it doesn't record right, the least of what I am asking to do, it is quite disappointing. I still do not know what the issue was and am waiting on an answer so others can benefit from what I experienced.

If I go with Plex, I am opt for a Nvidia TV Shield to host the Plex server, still pointing to my other sources for playback.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:59 pm

If it just shows the show name and original air date like that with no episode number in between, that indicates that episode data was not present in the data from the guide provider. In that case, the DVR doesn't have any way to know that the episode is different from the next, and will not record subsequent airings because it thinks they are repeats. We can request that missing data be added, but we would need to know about it at least 2 days ahead of time in order to get a request in and give them time to add it and for us to receive the update.

themusj

Post by themusj » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:34 pm

It had the show name, episode number and both air date as well as original air date. That's how I knew clearly I was looking at the closing of the series and the pilot. And I believe the summary was spot on too, but since I can't say that for 100%, I'll give that one.

sjtsnix

Post by sjtsnix » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:28 pm

MinistryOfMagic wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm
I own a Lifetime Plex Pass but for my household I decided to go with Channels. I wish SD would give up on their DVR software solution and focus on hardware which is where they excel. I would prefer they partner up with Channels and bring DRM to that platform. I no longer use SDs DVR.

https://getchannels.com
March 5th, is the end of my two month Trial of HDHomerun DVR, and after being annoyed with no Grid Guide and seeing shows not recording that were set to record, I decided to take a look at Channels DVR offering. So far, I'm liking my experience with it better... I don't think I can justify staying with the HDHomerun DVR subscription.

Silicondust, you make an awesome piece of hardware (the Prime in my case, I own two, and will most likely purchase the Six tuner model when and if it becomes available... but... your software DVR offering... isn't ready to be a paid for product in my household at this time. I'll be back should it ever improve from what it is today. Perhaps sooner if Channels DVR disappoints me as well. I will never go back to Plex for DVR services. (Plex Lifetime Pass holder)

Perhaps I'll dust off one of my Windows 7 Pro Laptops, and fire WMC up again....

Thanks for the ride, I'd like to say it was fun... but then.. that would not be truthful... Keeping my fingers crossed that Channels DVR using your Prime Tuners is my 'golden ticket' to replacing WMC

Stephen

themusj

Post by themusj » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

What are the issues with Plex?

I just want a reliable recording engine. Kodi handles all my viewing needs.

I know SD hardware is great. After a year and a half, not sure why their DVR software has not improved. Even little improvement's would have been appreciated and would have given their users encouragement to stay the course.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:13 am

themusj wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am
What are the issues with Plex?

I just want a reliable recording engine. Kodi handles all my viewing needs.

I know SD hardware is great. After a year and a half, not sure why their DVR software has not improved. Even little improvement's would have been appreciated and would have given their users encouragement to stay the course.
If you want reliable recording and great Kodi integration, then I suggest using Tvheadend. Configuration can be a bit tough, but their recording rules are some of the most flexible, and the DVR is pretty lean and written in decent straight C.