Random short freeze/pixelation with Windows 10 app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
beefjerky

Random short freeze/pixelation with Windows 10 app

Postby beefjerky » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:26 am

So, I have a weird issue and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen it and/or has any suggestions.

I have 3 different Windows 10 laptops running the HDHomeRun app, and they all have the same weird issue. When "docked," the HDHomeRun app will randomly freeze for a few seconds, show some pixelization, then continue playing. Sometimes it will happen every few minutes, sometimes less. It happens on all channels.

My docking setup is simple: power supply, USB 3.0 hub and a USB-C to HDMI adapter to a 55" 4K TV/monitor. I also run software called Displayfusion, which basically allows me to split that monitor into 4 separate 1080p monitors. I don't seem to have the issue when undocked, so it does seem related to using the external monitor in some way, but I don't understand why. Note that all these laptops have no problem playing high bitrate videos via MPC-HC, both MPEG2 and MPEG4. I also have no problems playing streaming videos via any of my browsers or the Netflix/Hulu apps. HDHomeRun is the only app that has this weird issue.

These are the laptops that I have, all of which behave the same:
1) Razer Blade 14 - i7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB RAM, Intel 630 graphics and nVidia 1060 graphics
2) Dell Precision 5530 - i7-8850H CPU, 16GB RAM, Intel UHD 630 graphics and nVidia Quadro P2000 graphics
3) Dell Latitude 5480 - i3-7100U CPU, 16GB RAM, Intel 620 graphics

On the 2 laptops with dedicated graphics, I've tried running the HDHomeRun app on the dedicated graphics, but it still behaved the same way.

Any thoughts, suggestions, questions welcome. Thanks!

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”