Can tuner work without installing software?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tronager

Can tuner work without installing software?

Postby tronager » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Does the HDHomerun software need to be installed on a network device (win 10 computer in my case) in order for any network devices to use the HD Homerun App?

I have been trialing Plex and Emby but find their Live TV experience deplorable on all accounts. Curious if the HDHomerun device itself is doing all the serving to the official app, or if it's running the signal through the computer. The official app loads channels very quickly and with very little issue, including when the DVR service is running and recording. While the plex live tv as I understand is serving TV through the plex server (sometimes as a directplay stream) but takes a while to tune, and often just times out for me.

An emby developer pointed out to me that pressing the play button on the remote rather than the select button will play instantly (have not tried this) but then it lacks the TV buffer for timeshifting etc..

So I was curious if Emby / Plex could have the ability to just point the client to the HDHomerun network tuner directly instead of going through the plex server itself

But still, the option of paying once, as low as $75 for a plex premium lifetime subscription is more appealing than $35 a year for SD's DVR which is much less robust in terms of recording options..

Thanks
Eric

tronager

Re: Can tuner work without installing software?

Postby tronager » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:04 pm

well I had the brilliant idea of turning my computer off which showed me the answer to that

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”