deinterlacing solution

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Bkfinest

deinterlacing solution

Postby Bkfinest » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 am

anyway you can incorporate deintarling feature into the settings on the HDHomeRun app for android? i have issues with all 3x of my AirtTv 4K Player, i don't like how lets say some sports channel act. it looks laggy, it may not be noticeable to some peoples eye, but it bothers my eyes.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: deinterlacing solution

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

The HDHomeRun app enables hardware deinterlacing when viewing interlaced channels, assuming the hardware supports it. The quality of the deinterlacing varies by hardware. It's not something the app can really work around either, as good quality deinterlacing in software requires a ton of CPU power, and it doesn't thread well so it's not something that ARM CPUs are powerful enough to handle.

epee4fun

Postby epee4fun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm

I've read that some people have had success installing KODI on AirTV. If you can get it installed and AirTV hardware can handle the load, KODI includes fairly decent software deinterlace capabilities that may help with your problem, and the HDHR add-on runs well on KODI. If you are new to KODI, be prepared - the UI is a bit unlike anything else I've used before. I also suggest googling how to activate the HDHR add-on as it can be a little confusing, but once you get it working it is pretty awesome.

Bkfinest

Postby Bkfinest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 am

The HDHomeRun app enables hardware deinterlacing when viewing interlaced channels, assuming the hardware supports it. The quality of the deinterlacing varies by hardware. It's not something the app can really work around either, as good quality deinterlacing in software requires a ton of CPU power, and it doesn't thread well so it's not something that ARM CPUs are powerful enough to handle.
do you think AirTV 4k Player supports deinterlacing? hows their hardware? i know theres an option on android settings for display to set @1080p 60fps, and other options i have tried many settings but it works best at 1080p 60fps

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 am

do you think AirTV 4k Player supports deinterlacing? hows their hardware? i know theres an option on android settings for display to set @1080p 60fps, and other options i have tried many settings but it works best at 1080p 60fps
First - 60fps is not what you want for deinterlacing.. You really want 59.94 Hz/FPS since content coming in is likely in 29.97 Hz interlaced.

As to the AirTV... just because it's in hardware doesn't mean software is setup to use it.
e.g. if AirTV doesn't expose the hooks for other apps, but provides a workaround for SlingTV, then maybe nothing can use the hardware..
AirTV uses an Marvell 88DE3218 SoC, and on paper there is the QDeo Video Processing engine which in theory supports a very good De-interlace for both MPEG2 and AVC.
So the hardware is capable - doesn't mean HDHomeRun can use it though :(

Bkfinest

Postby Bkfinest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 am

First - 60fps is not what you want for deinterlacing.. You really want 59.94 Hz/FPS since content coming in is likely in 29.97 Hz interlaced.

As to the AirTV... just because it's in hardware doesn't mean software is setup to use it.
e.g. if AirTV doesn't expose the hooks for other apps, but provides a workaround for SlingTV, then maybe nothing can use the hardware..
AirTV uses an Marvell 88DE3218 SoC, and on paper there is the QDeo Video Processing engine which in theory supports a very good De-interlace for both MPEG2 and AVC.
So the hardware is capable - doesn't mean HDHomeRun can use it though :(
There is no option for 59.94 only options is like 60fps, 50fps and 30fps i think. it also has auto, but problem is idk if auto will switch between channels or if it will just set it at like lets say 30fps for all channels, and that wouldnt work as espn and sports look choppy and laggy with lower fps

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:20 am

There is no option for 59.94 only options is like 60fps, 50fps and 30fps i think. it also has auto, but problem is idk if auto will switch between channels or if it will just set it at like lets say 30fps for all channels, and that wouldnt work as espn and sports look choppy and laggy with lower fps
does it have option for 'best'?

if it's fixed to 60fps it could be they always assume progressive content and thus don't expose the deinterlacer - but slingTV has private API gets to use the deinterlacer in the case of when you add the usb tuner to it. This is my worry..
But I don't have one, so can't comment.

When you mention sports - do you mean PTV channels?
In which case - yep, it's going to look laggy since it's 30fps and not 60fps.. So am guessing display is duplicating frames.

If it's from your tuner... Will depend on content provider - but likely yes that content is coming in at 1080i and then depending on deinterlacer it can look jagged (combing effect) and if having to do 29.97 to 60fps could also result in many repeated frames causing 'lag' effect.

Bkfinest

Postby Bkfinest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:54 am

does it have option for 'best'?

if it's fixed to 60fps it could be they always assume progressive content and thus don't expose the deinterlacer - but slingTV has private API gets to use the deinterlacer in the case of when you add the usb tuner to it. This is my worry..
But I don't have one, so can't comment.

When you mention sports - do you mean PTV channels?
In which case - yep, it's going to look laggy since it's 30fps and not 60fps.. So am guessing display is duplicating frames.

If it's from your tuner... Will depend on content provider - but likely yes that content is coming in at 1080i and then depending on deinterlacer it can look jagged (combing effect) and if having to do 29.97 to 60fps could also result in many repeated frames causing 'lag' effect.
no option for best only auto option , which device do you have? and what do you recommend me to do at this point? i have an airtv 4k player on each tv at home

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:05 am

and what do you recommend me to do at this point?
If proper (MCDI) de-interlacing is important to you you have to chose a platform that can de-interlacing in hardware (the shield, I believe the xbox, most windows GPUs). Alternatively, learn to tolerate lessor de-interlacing quality (if you muddy the picture enough in your TV settings you can't tell the difference). Or go a completely different way and chose a different content source that does not provide interlaced content at all (there is a reason the OTTs mostly do only progressive). The reality is that those whose minds are sufficiently quick and perceptive to observe the interlace artifacts are going to have to pay to address their advanced capabilities.

Bkfinest

Postby Bkfinest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:10 am

and what do you recommend me to do at this point?
If proper (MCDI) de-interlacing is important to you you have to chose a platform that can de-interlacing in hardware (the shield, I believe the xbox, most windows GPUs). Alternatively, learn to tolerate lessor de-interlacing quality (if you muddy the picture enough in your TV settings you can't tell the difference). Or go a completely different way and chose a different content source that does not provide interlaced content at all (there is a reason the OTTs mostly do only progressive). The reality is that those whose minds are sufficiently quick and perceptive to observe the interlace artifacts are going to have to pay to address their advanced capabilities.
What do you mean by muddy picture in tv settings? Or go a completely different way and chose a different content source that does not provide interlaced content at all (there is a reason the OTTs mostly do only progressive?

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”