Install to Ubuntu should be simpler

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
yourpalfranc

Install to Ubuntu should be simpler

Postby yourpalfranc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:02 am

I'm an intermediate Linux user but I've really been struggling to get HDHomerun installed on Ubuntu 18.04. I think the Linux installation instructions provided on the Website are sketchy, at best. I think I finally got the ./configure and make commands to run. After the sudo make install command I got the following return:

sudo make install
Making install in ../libhdhomerun
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/libhdhomerun'
(ignoring request to make install)
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/libhdhomerun'
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui/src'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui/src'
/bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/bin'
/usr/bin/install -c hdhomerun_config_gui '/usr/local/bin'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || /bin/mkdir -p "/usr/local/lib"
/usr/bin/install -c ../../libhdhomerun/libhdhomerun.so /usr/local/lib
/usr/bin/install -c ../../libhdhomerun/hdhomerun_config /usr/local/bin
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui/src'
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui'
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/fcromer/Documents/hdhomerun-files/hdhomerun_config_gui'

So, what's next?? How do you run HDHomerun from this point?? Obviously, I've tried a few commands that haven't worked, and it's getting a little frustrating.

Thanks, in advance, for any help provided.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: Install to Ubuntu should be simpler

Postby signcarver » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:21 pm

What are you trying to "run" most never need to do any of that if you have a modern tuner that supports http streaming. Generally the only reason for doing so is a few legacy apps and to get hdhomerun_config if needed to update firmware (modern firmware now lets the device update).

Typically on linux one uses kodi with the addon.

yourpalfranc

Postby yourpalfranc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:28 pm

Then I guess I don't understand the product. For example, I just installed the HDHomerun app on my Windows 10 PC. When I run that app, I can stream OTA programming from the HDHomerun device. Same with mac. I was expecting a similar app for Linux without the overhead of a media center like Kodi.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm

Then I guess I don't understand the product. For example, I just installed the HDHomerun app on my Windows 10 PC. When I run that app, I can stream OTA programming from the HDHomerun device. Same with mac. I was expecting a similar app for Linux without the overhead of a media center like Kodi.
There isn't one. Silicon Dust does not make a viewing app for Linux. They make a command line tool, and a GTK-based UI for viewing the status of your tuners.

On Linux, you can use the command line tool to send a stream to a local UDP port (for older non-HTTP capable tuners), and regardless of your tuner you can then use a local media player that can access network streams to view. (Most seem to like VLC, I personally use mpv for this.)

yourpalfranc

Postby yourpalfranc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for that information. It's a bit more than I want to tackle, though. I'd just like to be able to stream to Linux devices and not need to subsidize Microsoft or apple for that capability.

I actually have a Plex Pass subscription, but I've never really had good success with their live TV using HDHomerun. The buffering is just unwatchable. But, maybe trying to troubleshoot those problems is the best way to go??

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm

If you're just want to watch live TV, you can use VLC. Go into the Playlist > Universal Plug 'n' Play, double click on HDHomeRun DMS xxxxxxxx, then channels, and will give you a list of your channels you can play. If you want anything more complex, like a program guide or DVR support, Kodi is your option.

yourpalfranc

Postby yourpalfranc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 am

Hey, jasoni, THANKS!! That's a HUGE help!! VLC works perfectly for just displaying the TV stream on Ubuntu 18.04.

You mentioned Kodi, and I have just a little experience with it. I actually have run Plex and have a PlexPass, but I'm not real happy with it. I can't get the HDHomerun DVR feature to work on it and it seems I can never get questions answered with I need help from Plex. Is it a better HDHomerun experience on Kodi?

Thanks again for your help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

The HDHomeRun DVR just works with the HDHomeRun add-on in Kodi (make sure you're still using Kodi 17 rather than 18 though, it needs an update for 18). There's also an add-on from forum member djp952 that integrates the HDHomeRun DVR into the Kodi DVR system, rather than going through the video add-on, which some prefer. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65776

epee4fun

Postby epee4fun » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm

KODI with the HDHR add-on is a great (and only viable really) option for Linux. Google how to activate the add-on, especially if you are new to KODI.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”