Lack of basic record button makes me miss shows

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

Lack of basic record button makes me miss shows

Postby averyfreeman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 am

Have been loyal HDHomeRun Prime user since 2015, LIVE and RECORD user since 2017

But lack of being able to hit "record" button and have RECORD server record a program makes me miss shows.

Case in point, tonight was the State of the Union. Lots of odd commentary specials on before and after were either thought to be other shows that ran two hours instead of one were detected as duplicates and the second hour not recorded, no option to hit "record" and have show start recording - just nothing I could do.

Happened on two separate networks tonight, too.

Also happens if a show gets cut off recording in the middle due to power outage, etc - RECORD server counts it as already recorded and the rest of the show is missed. If show airs again it won't even record a later showing because it's marked as having already been recorded.

This is a glaring omission. The damn app needs a basic record button.

I brought this up years ago and got a response but nothing has changed. Is there some sort of reason this incredibly basic feature (I'd call it a necessity) can't be easily implemented?

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Re: Lack of basic record button makes me miss shows

Postby GGRussell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:19 am

Weird... I see a red button that does just that. Doesn't work as one would expect, but it does work.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:51 am

The 'Red Button' does start a recording - now you just have to take it on faith that it's recording ('cause there's pretty much no other way)...
The problem is in order to stop a recording you have to throw the server out the window.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 am

There really are some good points here. Would probably take a fair amount of effort on both front end and back end to make work, but definitely worth noting down.

goofnroxx

Postby goofnroxx » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:17 pm

The problem is in order to stop a recording you have to throw the server out the window.
This. Want to record the state of the union? No problem, discover and select record.(I think the discover page is great BTW) Except it's on like 50 channels, and I don't like the one it randomly picked. Tried to delete the recording but that just removes it from the list and doesn't free the tuner, so now I can't even go to the channel I want in live tv since all the tuners were being used. There definitely needs to be a way to stop recordings that are in progress.

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 am

There really are some good points here. Would probably take a fair amount of effort on both front end and back end to make work, but definitely worth noting down.
Thank you for acknowledging there is at least a basic functionality issue

Just thinking out loud:

maybe to avoid having to change the front end significantly, you could have a 'record now' option in the screen that results from pressing the button that is supposed to record the program listed in the guide

People could at least start recording whatever is playing at the time regardless if it's the right show or not - they'd just have to remember that show was wrong in the guide when they go to play it back

I like the guide/tasks when it works and I think overall you did a great job with the program and the server --> client model. I just hate it when I miss shows and solely relying on the guide causes issues, especially during special content.

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:42 am

This. Want to record the state of the union? No problem, discover and select record.(I think the discover page is great BTW) Except it's on like 50 channels, and I don't like the one it randomly picked. Tried to delete the recording but that just removes it from the list and doesn't free the tuner, so now I can't even go to the channel I want in live tv since all the tuners were being used. There definitely needs to be a way to stop recordings that are in progress.
I would agree that might be a separate issue, but it could be alievated by getting another tuner box ;) In my case Comcast dinged me $10/mo for the second cable card, though (bastards).

I'm pretty sure the issue I'm having is a TV programming guide issue. It may have started upstream, it seems random.

Sure, "Meet the Press" records the same show 3 times on 3 different networks, but "reliable sources" doesn't record at all this week, even though it's listed? Go to discover and see it's there, set to record for next week already? That's happened to me several times. What's that about?

"Cuomo Prime Time" doesn't record just tonight when it recorded every other night of the week and I can see on "CNN Tonight With Don Lemon" that it was on the hour before?

I'm willing to resign the issue partially being attributable to the fact that the news genre is fluid and the broadcasters often make changes or have specials, but that's not always the case - there's something buggy going on, as well.

But at least if I were watching at the time if I could just hit 'record' and have it start recording immediately I would have an option to circumvent such issues when I'm around.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:56 am

But at least if I were watching at the time if I could just hit 'record' and have it start recording immediately I would have an option to circumvent such issues when I'm around.
I can see where such feature would be handy, but how long should it record? Since you are not going 'by the guide', should it record 1,2,3.. hours or until your hard drive is full? Perhaps a predetermined time with setting in the hamburger menu?

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:41 am

I've mentioned this before. I described it as breaking stream. If you simply want to record something currently being watched, you have to break the stream to enter a recording menu. This makes for an awful clumsy experience. I also mentioned that if SD uses their own software that issues like this should be painfully obvious as it's unique to their software. I would take more comfort if your response was along the lines of "We know, it's on the list of things we would like to change". Instead, it sounds like there is no direction in terms of improving the interface. Am I wrong? Are there any inhouse goals that you guys can share? Any (much needed) improvements regarding the UI seem quite rudderless, mostly evidenced by the lack of prior attention on the matter.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 am

Are there any inhouse goals that you guys can share?
None that I'm willing to share right now. I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but once the mostly not changed UI release is released, we have a list of improvements we want to work through, with the goal mainly to improve function and address longstanding requests/issues from the community.

edit: I should probably add a bit to this. Since I started here in August, I've been creating issues in a private github repo of every major feature request in the forum. At least every one I saw and responded to. We're now at the point where I'm actually bundling issues together because they fit in the same category of fixes. For example, believe it or not, this issue is bundled with the request in another thread to be able to buffer two channels at once, because they rely on similar underlying tech.

So we have a pretty big list of features to deal with. And there are always more. Our goals broadly speaking are to figure out how to efficiently address them all. And, of course, actually get out the GUI update that got pushed way back.

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 pm

We're now at the point where I'm actually bundling issues together because they fit in the same category of fixes. For example, believe it or not, this issue is bundled with the request in another thread to be able to buffer two channels at once, because they rely on similar underlying tech.

So we have a pretty big list of features to deal with. And there are always more. Our goals broadly speaking are to figure out how to efficiently address them all. And, of course, actually get out the GUI update that got pushed way back.
That's very nice of you to explain

I want to apologize, I don't mean to sound so irritated, I just was at the time of the post. But now that I've calmed down I should say that I think it's quite an undertaking creating this software and supporting it, and I do appreciate your responsiveness and your effort - and unlike the other user, I don't have any negative things to say about how the UI works, etc. I don't mind it at all.

I think it's mainly when I see things that are missing from the WMC days, like a record button - because, you know, I doubt few people here wanted to be forced to stop using WMC, just like I doubt you wanted to be obligated to write something to replace it...

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:58 am

Are you talking about me? Am I the negative user? lol. I'm that guy that will tell you that you have a booger on your face or spinach in your teeth. Is that negative? I may be critical but why mince words. I truly believe honest posts like yours will improve the product.

That being said, I apologize. I merely injected some emotion on the matter. You have a valid complaint though, and like me, you posted out of passion for the product. I see other posts where they seem to be willing to listen to others about their ideals and I find that promising.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”