Ignoring tuners?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
manorfan

Ignoring tuners?

Postby manorfan » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:16 pm

I have several HDHR tuners. I would like to have the HDHR app (on nvidia shield) only use a couple of these tuners (I noticed it seems to grab them all), leaving the rest for other software. Is there a way to disable/enable only certain tuners in the HDHR app?

Thanks!

gtb
Expert

Re: Ignoring tuners?

Postby gtb » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:05 am

I have several HDHR tuners. I would like to have the HDHR app (on nvidia shield) only use a couple of these tuners (I noticed it seems to grab them all), leaving the rest for other software. Is there a way to disable/enable only certain tuners in the HDHR app?
It is not exactly clear which type of problem you are trying to handle (nor what the other software is). If all apps use the newer (http) streaming protocols they should all share the available tuners (first come, first served) reasonably well. If you have more apps trying to tune tuners than you have available tuners, the easiest solution may simply be to acquire more tuners (or tell those other users to stop watching?). If you have apps that are using the legacy interfaces(*) and those apps neither use the new streaming protocols, nor lock the tuners using the legacy capabilities (just presuming they fully control all the devices), and you don't want the shield to use some devices so that those other apps can be configured to use those devices, there are a couple of possible answers. The easiest may be to go to the devices that you don't want the shield to use, and disable all the channels. Those apps using the new protocols will respect the tuner channel disablement, and not use the tuner (there is nothing (for them) to see there), so (in your case) the shield will not use those devices. If neither solution is possible for you, you may need to more completely specify your environment and requirements so that other options can be suggested.

(*) Some legacy solutions have the option to use the newer streaming/sharing interfaces with different configurations. For those that do not offer that option, you may want to ask the developers to add such support.

manorfan

Postby manorfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Emby, SageTV for recording and the HDHR app for live TV. As a test, I set Sage and Emby to record the same show at the same time from the same tuner (nothing else running) and they both failed siting external issues. So it looks like not everything respects the protocol (probably Sage in this case). But I can assign each of the programs to specific tuners, and that works fine. I noticed however that I could not find a way on the HDHR app to do this. Thus my question. It's not a big issue, as we rarely watch live TV. I understand that there's a protocol in place with should make assigning specific tuners irrelevant (in a perfect world). It's just surprising to me that SD's own app doesn't support assigning specific tuners when most other external apps do. This isn't a dig at SD. I love their hardware. It's all I use. And again it's not a big deal. I just thought I would inquire.

Thanks!!

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:24 am

The HDHomeRun app runs on a slightly different design philosophy. Emby and SageTV are both power user apps. With HDHomeRun, the goal is to have the simplest setup imaginable. That means we've actively designed the app so that multiple devices are invisible to the user. In fact, the whole concept of "tuner" mainly doesn't exist in the app at all. Right now you can't even run a channel scan from within app, because the app assumes the box will have done so at boot up. All that is show in your programs and your shows.

I think because of demand, we're slowly moving over to open up some of those power user functions. But it's going to remain a balancing act, because we really want the experience to be as dead simple as possible.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm using Emby, SageTV for recording and the HDHR app for live TV. As a test, I set Sage and Emby to record the same show at the same time from the same tuner (nothing else running) and they both failed siting external issues. So it looks like not everything respects the protocol (probably Sage in this case). But I can assign each of the programs to specific tuners, and that works fine. I noticed however that I could not find a way on the HDHR app to do this. Thus my question. It's not a big issue, as we rarely watch live TV. I understand that there's a protocol in place with should make assigning specific tuners irrelevant (in a perfect world). It's just surprising to me that SD's own app doesn't support assigning specific tuners when most other external apps do. This isn't a dig at SD. I love their hardware. It's all I use. And again it's not a big deal. I just thought I would inquire.

Thanks!!
I share all my tuners with the HDhomeRun App , EMBY and SageTV … in order for this to work you need to make sure you are running OPENDCT with SageTV this is the only way that you can POOL tuners in SageTV.

All these apps check for tuner usage before assigning a tuner if in use will move on to next available tuner. So you will never be able to record the same channel using 1 tuner.

manorfan

Postby manorfan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am

Nateb: I think some power user functions would be nice. As for the tuner hardware, I'd like to see the ability to assign static IP's and be able to save/restore the lineup (favorites and X'd out stations) for each tuner or to easily load other tuners with the same lineup. Also, is it possible to disable finding new stations? Every couple weeks I get drift from other stations that are not so near that automatically become part of the lineup, even though they just drift in and out reception wise. Maybe this is already a feature?

NYPlayer: Yes, I need to look into the OpenDCT feature set. I have that running, but admittedly I am overwhelmed by all the features and settings in the .properties. I will make it a point to study the pooling.

Thanks!!

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:52 am

Nateb: I think some power user functions would be nice. As for the tuner hardware, I'd like to see the ability to assign static IP's and be able to save/restore the lineup (favorites and X'd out stations) for each tuner or to easily load other tuners with the same lineup. Also, is it possible to disable finding new stations? Every couple weeks I get drift from other stations that are not so near that automatically become part of the lineup, even though they just drift in and out reception wise. Maybe this is already a feature?

NYPlayer: Yes, I need to look into the OpenDCT feature set. I have that running, but admittedly I am overwhelmed by all the features and settings in the .properties. I will make it a point to study the pooling.

Thanks!!
it is really not hard to enable pooling. Just look for these in your properties … if you do decide to make these changes make sure OPENDCT is stopped... make sure to make a backup of your existing OPENDCT properties file before making any changes.

pool.enabled=true

For OTA Tuners … do on all ota tuners
encoder_pool=atsc

For Prime Tuners do on all prime tuners ...
encoder_pool=dct

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Nateb: I think some power user functions would be nice. As for the tuner hardware, I'd like to see the ability to assign static IP's and be able to save/restore the lineup (favorites and X'd out stations) for each tuner or to easily load other tuners with the same lineup.
Static IP address assignments are only available on the commerical TECH line of tuners. Silicon Dust has repeatedly stated in the past that static IPs will not be supported on their consumer devices because … (No real valid answer has ever been given, other than the hand–wavey “If people accidentally set a wrong IP address, then maybe they won’t be able to properly restore access. And, it might make for a poor user experience.”
Also, is it possible to disable finding new stations?
This; a hundred times, this. Not only must it be annoying for OTA users where stray and fringe frequencies might get picked up (or not) depending upon myriad factors, but for users with Primes and flakey tuning adapters provided by cable companies this would help with the randomly disappearing/re-appearing of SDV channels with their favorite status forgotten once they are “rediscovered” by the unwanted background channel scans.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am

Nateb: I think some power user functions would be nice. As for the tuner hardware, I'd like to see the ability to assign static IP's and be able to save/restore the lineup (favorites and X'd out stations) for each tuner or to easily load other tuners with the same lineup.
Why not just set up the tuners to have a static IP in your router? That is what I do for them even though it is technically not needed for the app.... just makes it easier for me for when I want to open up a browser window to the tuner's web page so it is the same IP address in case it were to ever be renewed and be different.

+1 on the ability to "export" channel line up's and import them back to the same or to new tuners that you might add later on.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am

... or to easily load other tuners with the same lineup.
There is already a 3rd party solution to provide that. Go look in the development support topic area.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 am

There is already a 3rd party solution to provide that. Go look in the development support topic area.
I frequently use your script to copy settings from one tuner to the other, so thank you for that. Now I just need to modify it to also accept input from a local JSON file, so that when all of my tuners have forgotten their favorites because of bad TAs and background scans I can use a previously known good state to set all my tuners.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm

The HDHomeRun app runs on a slightly different design philosophy. Emby and SageTV are both power user apps. With HDHomeRun, the goal is to have the simplest setup imaginable. That means we've actively designed the app so that multiple devices are invisible to the user. In fact, the whole concept of "tuner" mainly doesn't exist in the app at all. Right now you can't even run a channel scan from within app, because the app assumes the box will have done so at boot up. All that is show in your programs and your shows.

I think because of demand, we're slowly moving over to open up some of those power user functions. But it's going to remain a balancing act, because we really want the experience to be as dead simple as possible.
The two goals; simple setup, and power user, are not orthogonal! Apple has been making this mistake over and over for the last few years (after years of getting it right) and pro users are abandoning them in droves. The mistake is thinking that one must remove all power user functions or stupid people will get confused. Simply make the power user functions, hidden. Simple. Make them a text configuration file, or command line, etc. This does not take much thought or code.

The problem with "simplest setup imaginable" is that it means the app is only geared to one perspective; the idiot (or teenager, take your pick). Granted there are a lot of those out and about, and I can see the attractiveness, but it really puts off pro users. Pro users are the ones that recommend to family and friends. I used to recommend Apple products, bar none, to everyone, but not anymore. Apple has transitioned to a toy maker in their hast to remove complexity, because they are also removing functionality, usability, performance, and personalization.

manorfan

Postby manorfan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 am

it is really not hard to enable pooling. Just look for these in your properties … if you do decide to make these changes make sure OPENDCT is stopped... make sure to make a backup of your existing OPENDCT properties file before making any changes.

pool.enabled=true

encoder_pool=atsc

encoder_pool=dct
NYPlayer, I finally had time to work on this, and it does work. Thank You!!

manorfan

Postby manorfan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:36 am

Found that. Thank You!

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:23 am

pool.enabled=true

encoder_pool=atsc

encoder_pool=dct
NYPlayer, I finally had time to work on this, and it does work. Thank You!!
You are welcome.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”