Toshiba Fire TV 2018 cannot find Prime

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ctbarker32

Toshiba Fire TV 2018 cannot find Prime

Postby ctbarker32 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 pm

I just installed a new 2018 Toshiba Fire TV. Installed HDHomeRun and when it is launched it claims it can not find my HDHomePrime tuner. The TV I just unplugged with a Fire TV 4k pendant had no problem finding my HDHomeRunPrime tuner. Seems it is something specific to this new TV with Fire TV embedded? I rebooted and checked network (wifi-5ghz) but still no go. Wired ethernet really not easy to hookup in this location. Using Google WiFi Mesh. I have 1 gig Fios. Really this should work since everything else works?

rpcameron

Re: Toshiba Fire TV 2018 cannot find Prime

Postby rpcameron » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm

I just installed a new 2018 Toshiba Fire TV. Installed HDHomeRun and when it is launched it claims it can not find my HDHomePrime tuner. The TV I just unplugged with a Fire TV 4k pendant had no problem finding my HDHomeRunPrime tuner. Seems it is something specific to this new TV with Fire TV embedded? I rebooted and checked network (wifi-5ghz) but still no go. Wired ethernet really not easy to hookup in this location. Using Google WiFi Mesh. I have 1 gig Fios. Really this should work since everything else works?
Mesh wifi networks are often sources of problems, especially with high bandwidth streaming that comes with TV streams. Ensure that your TV and your tuner are on the same subnet of your network, because that's necessary for the app to discover the tuners.

ctbarker32

Postby ctbarker32 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:59 am

It has now started working? There were several firmware updates to the Fire TV and after a few hours it now works.

It is not the network. I regularly stream several 4k streams around my house. Rock solid network.

Thanks for your help.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Postby foxbat121 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:47 am

It is not the network. I regularly stream several 4k streams around my house. Rock solid network.
To find the tuners, the device needs to be able to receive SSDP broadcast packets from the tuners. Those broadcasting packets are often get dropped by network devices like routers, firewalls and in some cases reported here, mesh networks.

It has nothing to do with the capability to stream videos.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”