Unexpected DVR behavior (in a good way)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
vttom

Unexpected DVR behavior (in a good way)

Postby vttom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:31 am

Yesterday I rebooted my Linux computer in order to install an update. I run the HDHR DVR RECORD software on said Linux computer.

I later realized that I'd rebooted the machine right in the middle of an OTA show that it was recording and I thought "Oh no, I've messed up my recording". But when I watched the recording a little bit later, it was completely intact!

Kudos to SD. The HDHR Connect must've buffered the OTA feed while the DVR was offline. And then when the DVR came back up, the DVR software was able to make up for what it missed and put together a complete MPEG stream on disk.

Very cool! :D

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Re: Unexpected DVR behavior (in a good way)

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:44 am

Kudos to SD. The HDHR Connect must've buffered the OTA feed while the DVR was offline. And then when the DVR came back up, the DVR software was able to make up for what it missed and put together a complete MPEG stream on disk.

Very cool! :D
Ah no.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:03 am

The HDHomeRun DVR will auto restart an interrupted recording and the HDHomeRun apps will play smoothly over the interruption.

If the reboot happened during an ad break you probably skipped right over the transition without noticing.

Nick

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:34 am

Can we have a script to reboot each time a commercial comes on???

vttom

Postby vttom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am

Interesting. So I stand corrected about some of the details.

But still, it's good to know that if there's some issue, the DVR can go offline and then continue to record when it comes back online.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”