Weird Fast Forward issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ScaryChickens

Weird Fast Forward issue

Postby ScaryChickens » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 am

Greetings Forumland.

I have an odd issue that I wonder if anyone else has.

On recorded shows with OTA channels; FF through commercials is a dream. When FF through recorded PREMIUM channels is a horror show; and i cant tell why.

What happens is the audio gets off track from the video, or sometimes it just hard locks the whole HDHomerun app and I have to exit out and reopen the app. then it works fine for a while. It happens at random spots. So if I rewatch an episode it doesn't lock in the same spot so I don't think its a problem with the file. What I cant wrap my head around is that a file is a file whether its recorded from OTA or Premium so I cannot reason out why it would be different. But its definitely repeatable between OTA recordings and Premium Recordings.

Setup:
Connect
Connect quatro
Nvidia Shield TV With 2 TB USB3 hard drive attached (Shield is the DVR no NAS)
All Devices are hardwired to the network.

Harmony 650 remote that does 30 second jumps ahead for ff through commercials. This just worked this way I did not program the remote at all.

I can live with it but just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this. Thanx

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Re: Weird Fast Forward issue

Postby GGRussell » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:18 am

What I cant wrap my head around is that a file is a file whether its recorded from OTA or Premium
Not necessarily. I don't have Premium, but it probably uses a different Codec than OTA. I have seen all kinds of weird stuff with H264 and H265 using other software trying to watch/skip.

ScaryChickens

Postby ScaryChickens » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am

Ah ok. Thanx for the reply. So if I am understanding correctly: even though the end result is an MP4 file (i think?) The codec used to record it is the difference here?

Makes sense. Hopefully Stage 2 will fix this.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:03 am

The PTV quality is so bad (really, really bad of late) there isn't enough tracking info that survives after a giant glitch to get the audio and video sync to line up - unless you stop the stream and restart it, or get past the glitch or missing sync info, back up a bit and try it again. This morning I was watching a History Channel show I recorded last night and it was 'Glitch City', then suddenly it was KeyStone Cops in fast action with the audio about 15 seconds behind... stop stream, restart stream, fine until the next magnum glitch... lather, rinse, repeat.

It's been like this since day one.
We've been promised a 'new method' is in place to detect these issues - with no positive results.
An upstream trouble ticket (several are likely by now) has so far not produced any edible fruit.
There is a general lack of interest for the promised Stage Two.

I'm beginning to think, at this point, PTV is as good as it's going to get 'cause, no, I don't think SD is just ignoring us as we scream about the quality... I just don't think they can do anything about it (or they would have by now).

ScaryChickens

Postby ScaryChickens » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am

OK. Good info thank you. I did notice it since day 1 but only recently pieced together that it was different between OTA and premium.

So another question, if I may that I hope doesn't violate the Forum rules...

Has anyone tried PLEX for commercial skipping? My research indicates that it is either serviceable or straight up sucks. I am resisting only because I would have to create yet ANOTHER online account that could potentially be breached (My own paranoia not a slight on PLEX at all). So I would consider this option if the commercial skip was good but I wonder if the same metadata glitch for fast forwarding would be an issue here as well; meaning PLEX couldn't "sense" when the commercial is. But otherwise I am happy with the HD app. The Slice guide is fine; the DVR is otherwise excellent.

Thank You.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 pm

I do NOT watch Live TV (Live Advertising - except a few minutes of Weather Channel, when applicable). ALL I watch is de-advertised with MCEBuddy and Comskip (with a custom comskip(ini) file found on MCEBuddy's site). I think I'm using 'Comcast USA(ini)' and apart from the occasional leaving of an advertisement, or poor cut, the success rate is around 95%. Not bad for automatic.

Using the custom naming string for MCEBuddy shows/movies are renamed for Plex and moved to the appropriate library where they are viewed in Plex.

MCEBuddy has been a buddy of mine for a long, long time. When Plex came along I saw no reason to change. When HDHR came along MCEBuddy knew exactly what to do (after I told it where to look for new stuff).

If it wasn't for having to manhandle:
De-Interlacing
Identifying mystery audio tracks (so Plex will behave properly when subtitles are present)
It would be a completely hands off operation.

The 'Slice Guide' is NOT fine for us.
I abandoned HDHR DVR for Channels DVR for that reason.

ScaryChickens

Postby ScaryChickens » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm

WOW Thanx ACRAIGO. I have not heard of MCEBUDDY.

A quick search seems to be that I would need a plex server on a windows box? I was hoping to avoid that (I kinda like having everything centrally located on my shieldTV). But if its as slick as you say I will check it out. I have the available hardware and the technical know how to do it. So this is good info. Cant thank you enough!!

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 pm

MCEBuddy isn't plug and play, but if you have some know-how it's easy enough. I mean I did it and there are a lot sharper knives in the drawer.

I wrote this (before Plex banned me for a year):
https://forums.plex.tv/t/1080i-mpeg2-co ... nt_1321322
I think that pretty much covers it.

Yep, you gonna need a Plex Server.
or
Yep, you gonna need an Emby Server.

Plex is a little more polished, but has long running bugs (some you may have to work around). If you only run one TV Show Library and one Movie Library it'll be fairly painless. You will probably have to buy a Plex/Emby app (4.99). You DO NOT need Plex Pass/Emby Super-Duper (whatever they're calling it).

If you've never spent much time in a Plex Environment, you'll quickly see what all the rage is about. You'll never use your HDHR app again - except to set up recordings - and if you do engage Plex Pass for Plex DVR... there's where the trouble starts, so I'm told. Don't use Plex-DVR myself.

Note:
I am using the donator Version of MCEBuddy and am doing 'Unprocessed' remuxes of the DVR material for the most part. I require H264 streams for most of my devices and, of course, those MPEG-2 streams from my OTA need fixing. The 'Unprocessed' profiles probably only exist for the Paid Version, but you'll have to look way down the list to see if they're present. MCEBuddy, through some clever manipulation of the MCEBuddy content filters and task profiles, does what I need to do with what I have to work with - automatically.

For instance, I don't need to remove advertising from TCM Movies (there are none), and I don't need to remove advertising from my PBS shows (OTA). I have task profiles and filters that send those jobs down the right conveyor belt for the appropriate type of processing.

Except for some manual work with PTV streams that are lacking (and previously mentioned) it's painless.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:20 pm

MCEBuddy isn't plug and play, but if you have some know-how it's easy enough. I mean I did it and there are a lot sharper knives in the drawer.

I
Note:
I am using the donator Version of MCEBuddy and am doing 'Unprocessed' remuxes of the DVR material for the most part. I require H264 streams for most of my devices and, of course, those MPEG-2 streams from my OTA need fixing. The 'Unprocessed' profiles probably only exist for the Paid Version, but you'll have to look way down the list to see if they're present. MCEBuddy, through some clever manipulation of the MCEBuddy content filters and task profiles, does what I need to do with what I have to work with - automatically.

For instance, I don't need to remove advertising from TCM Movies (there are none), and I don't need to remove advertising from my PBS shows (OTA). I have task profiles and filters that send those jobs down the right conveyor belt for the appropriate type of processing.

Except for some manual work with PTV streams that are lacking (and previously mentioned) it's painless.
+1 on MCE BUddy - note that the free version works but is very slow - i.e. an hour or more to remove commercials from a 1 hour show. It is good to use to test out and see if you like it & it does what you need but I would quickly move to the paid version of MCEBuddy. My commercial removal tasks went from over an hour for a 1 hour show to about 10 minutes per show when I upgraded to the paid version.

Also to note is if you go the PLEX route is that deleting watched shows in PLEX is do-able but since they were deleted outside of the HD DVR it may re-record the show again since it did not do the deletion itself and keep track of the deletion - this is more common with cable channels like History, etc. vs. traditional networks since History may air the same episode of Vikings multiple times a week whereas CBS will only air NCIS once.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 pm

I see an hour of de-advertised/remuxed and placed in the Plex Library in about 2 minutes. My rig has lots of horsepower.

The thing to note is that MCEBuddy should just pick up new recordings, process those recordings and with the custom naming string put those processed recordings into one of two Plex Libraries (Movies/TV Shows) with the proper names and structures (leaving the original recordings intact and in place). Deleting the recordings is done manually from within the HDHR app (or in my case the Channels app), so no funny bidness goes on (and you can choose to re-record one if you want).

One of the most grievous errors many people make is to use a folder designed to be an 'arrival' folder (the ones HDHR is using and MCEBuddy is monitoring, for instance) as a Plex Library. That is bad ju-ju on an epic scale. Plex already knows how to mess up real bad - you don't have to give it any help.

;)

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”