Servio and Scribe

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jseymour

Re: Servio and Scribe

Postby jseymour » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 am

Yes a switch is cheap, but "cheap" 4 port switches are not very good.
Define "cheap," I guess. I've used both managed and unmanaged NetGear ProSafe 5-port switches ($50 and $35, respectively), and neither has ever given me a lick of trouble.

In our HT system I've currently got four devices on wireless: The BD player and TV, via an 802.11n wireless bridge, the ChannelMaster DVR+ (no longer actively in-use) and the Amazon FTV. If I ever get ambitious and run Cat6 over there, I'll drop a managed NetGear 5-port switch in there in w/o a second thought.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 am

The router routes the packages to the appropriate Mac Address.
Actually that is a definition of a switch... a router is layer 3 and routes between networks.
Yes, you got me there, but in a home environment how many people run more than one LAN network. Most that I know stick with just one subnet.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:08 am

SD should put a warning on the box.
:lol: We're basically the Pringles of the cord cutting world. You can't stop at just one.

To answer the larger question (and for a quick peek behind the curtain), part of the reason it was comparatively easy to take both of these products to market was because we could adapt our existing hardware/software relatively painlessly. I agree a daisychain would be really cool, but it probably would have added 6 months to development, because our existing hardware/software stack isn't built for it.

The other issue is that each ethernet connection has a hard 100Mbps limit. If you started daisychaining devices behind that limiter, you'd start losing functionality really quickly. Now, we could up the connection to a 1Gbps one, but again, you're adding 6 months to development.
Thank you Nate. Maybe the next generation can include 2 - 1 Gig Ethernet ports with switching abilities for this purpose. but now what about the other question.. If I were to buy a Servio the day it comes out, would I be able to view the content I record on it through my network and point a Plex library to it for viewing and perhaps recording to from Plex. This would be a great for the purpose of being on a business trip and viewing my recordings remotely, and in the event I want to record a last minute show.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am

Now, we could up the connection to a 1Gbps one, but again, you're adding 6 months to development.
And adding to the cost of the product for what is almost certainly a corner case use. A manufacturer has to ask itself: "Will this feature draw enough additional customers to make the investment worthwhile, or will the increased cost lose more customers than it would gain?" I doubt many customers who need the additional sophistication will balk at $35, or less, for a small switch, but some number of those who don't need it, which is probably the majority of buyers of this product, might be persuaded to look at the competition if it hiked the price more than insignificantly.

goofnroxx

Postby goofnroxx » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:06 pm

Now, we could up the connection to a 1Gbps one, but again, you're adding 6 months to development.
And adding to the cost of the product for what is almost certainly a corner case use. A manufacturer has to ask itself: "Will this feature draw enough additional customers to make the investment worthwhile, or will the increased cost lose more customers than it would gain?" I doubt many customers who need the additional sophistication will balk at $35, or less, for a small switch, but some number of those who don't need it, which is probably the majority of buyers of this product, might be persuaded to look at the competition if it hiked the price more than insignificantly.
Exactly. Users that want/need more stuff attached probably have fairly robust networking setup to being with. No need to clutter up something that already works with a so-so solution when there is already tailor made products available that would likely do the job better.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 pm

but don't they recommend plugging the DVR device and the Homeruns directly into your main router? So if one has 2 connects or Primes, Gets a Servio for DVR, that's 3 out of the 4 ports most home routers provide. So Everything else in your home will have to run off separate cheap switches?

That's my point why the Servio or the Scribe should have 2 Ethernet Ports for daisy chaining Tuners too. Yes a switch is cheap, but "cheap" 4 port switches are not very good.
I disagree. I think there is a common misconception that all traffic runs through the router which is not true. The router is basically like the office manager that assigns you with a work station. Bob is work station 1 and Joe is work station 2. If Bob wants to talk to Joe he doesn't have to talk to the office manager to speak Joe because the office manager already told Bob that Joe is in work station 2. All Bob has to do is walk over to work station to and talk to Joe.

A better setup is to have everything connect to a switch.

On my setup at home there are only two connections to my router, the switch and a cable modem. My switch has 8 connections to wall jacks throughout the house and then is also connected to my NAS and three HDHomerun devices.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I would think the majority of people only have one device anyway, just making the device more expensive for unused features.
That's how it all starts. You buy one tuner device because you're curious and just want to experiment and the next thing you know you're hooked. You wake up one morning and you have 5 devices with 12 tuners feeding 3 different DVRs, and that's not even counting the 6 tuners from two "Brand X" PCIe tuners you might have. I had to get a RTL-SDR to play with so I wouldn't buy even more TV tuners. SD should put a warning on the box.
Yeah started with a Prime sitting in my Dad's storage room, now I have 2 primes and a quarto.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:28 pm

I would think the majority of people only have one device anyway, just making the device more expensive for unused features.
That's how it all starts. You buy one tuner device because you're curious and just want to experiment and the next thing you know you're hooked. You wake up one morning and you have 5 devices with 12 tuners feeding 3 different DVRs, and that's not even counting the 6 tuners from two "Brand X" PCIe tuners you might have. I had to get a RTL-SDR to play with so I wouldn't buy even more TV tuners. SD should put a warning on the box.
Yeah started with a Prime sitting in my Dad's storage room, now I have 2 primes and a quarto.
I started with 2 legacy tuners now a whole network full of devices down in the basement.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Postby foxbat121 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:32 pm

A daisy chained network? No thanks. 1980s want it back. Seriously.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

Also on the Servio, would we be able to navigate to the drive from another networked device like a NAS or a laptop and have the ability to point a library in Plex or Emby to it to view the recording on those systems? I currently point to my HDHomerun recordings in Plex to view them outside my network.
Too bad I had to wait until the Lon interview came out to get this answer.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:46 am

Also on the Servio, would we be able to navigate to the drive from another networked device like a NAS or a laptop and have the ability to point a library in Plex or Emby to it to view the recording on those systems? I currently point to my HDHomerun recordings in Plex to view them outside my network.
We don't have an answer for this yet.

The recordings are available to third party apps via http but you can't SMB mount the filesystem remotely. We will make the APIs public but it will be up to the third party apps if they support it.

Nick

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm

The recordings are available to third party apps via http but you can't SMB mount the filesystem remotely. We will make the APIs public but it will be up to the third party apps if they support it.

Nick
Hmm, so "if" SD does not support commercial removal, and you cut out existing commercial removal products like Comskip, it will be left to the 3rd party developers to support that function. Right? I would guess some will (eventually), but it does introduce questions about how playback would work in that scenario. :?:

Gary

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 pm

Nick
No SMB does that mean you cannot move the recordings or copy them?

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:56 pm

Nick
Maybe that will be the answer to DRM... sigh

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:24 pm

Maybe that will be the answer to DRM... sigh
It kind of makes sense, they will have their own hardware that you may not be able to copy or move off it, only delete or record. Makes a perfect environment for recording DRM using their own software on protected content. It's not the perfect solution we would be hoping for, but if it's the only way i'm sure many would embrace it.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”