HDHR DVR expandibilty & limitations?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
pplwin

HDHR DVR expandibilty & limitations?

Postby pplwin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:17 pm

In my search for a NAS based DVR, I ended up with HDHR Quattro & DVR running on WD-MyCloud, both hardwired on GB Ethernet. So far so good. I ran into the same noted complaints on DVR issues like non-English selections and series recording repeats. Hopefully, those'll improve in time. Overall, still pretty acceptable. High praise from a Dish Hopper3 DVR user who is hoping to cut them off soon. Due to this, I have some questions regarding the HDHR DVR limitations.

Does the DVR support more than a single HDHR tuner unit? Can I add another HDHR Quattro into the network to get 8 tuners? The Hopper 3 currently supports 16 tuners; more than I need; but dropping to 4 is a bit too much. Who watches TV live anymore?

Is there a limit on the amount of HDD storage space supported by the NAS-DVR? If so, what is it today?

How is HDHR Prime supported by the NAS-DVR? I assume Prime is a streamed function (opposed to OTA tuner function). If so, how many streams can the DVR support concurrently? IMHO, Prime pricing vs network coverage is not competitive in the industry, compared with YouTubeTV (which gives you DVR free).

How many concurrent viewing streams can the NAS-DVR support? I expect the NAS's hw has some limits. So far, I have tried 2-3 concurrent streams from WD-MyCloud and it has been acceptable. 1 to HDTV, 1 to Fire Tablet and 1 to my Android phone. Don't know if the tablet and phone streams are adaptive which can help the bandwidth but both are 1080p devices.

Thanks for any feedback.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: HDHR DVR expandibilty & limitations?

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:30 pm

Does the DVR support more than a single HDHR tuner unit? Can I add another HDHR Quattro into the network to get 8 tuners? The Hopper 3 currently supports 16 tuners; more than I need; but dropping to 4 is a bit too much. Who watches TV live anymore?
The DVR detects all the (modern) HDHR tuners on the same network subnet)... you should make sure to reactivate whenever you install another tuner just in case the one you activated with is missing a channel and/or not found when it retrieves its orders every hour (for the next 4 hours) as the tuner has the "key" to your account.
Is there a limit on the amount of HDD storage space supported by the NAS-DVR? If so, what is it today?
There is no limit on space but you may need to look into adding an engine/nas as a storage only server for some "archived" content and/or add additional paths to the RecordPath.
How is HDHR Prime supported by the NAS-DVR? I assume Prime is a streamed function (opposed to OTA tuner function). If so, how many streams can the DVR support concurrently? IMHO, Prime pricing vs network coverage is not competitive in the industry, compared with YouTubeTV (which gives you DVR free).
were you asking about Premium TV? the prime is a CableCARD tuner that works with a cable subscription and card from your cable provider. The DVR supports as many streams that can be handled by your network/NAS (in testing I was getting 8 in and 8 out with a single bay my cloud). Premium TV is limited to 4 streams per account and occupy a tuner slot of the device.
How many concurrent viewing streams can the NAS-DVR support? I expect the NAS's hw has some limits. So far, I have tried 2-3 concurrent streams from WD-MyCloud and it has been acceptable. 1 to HDTV, 1 to Fire Tablet and 1 to my Android phone. Don't know if the tablet and phone streams are adaptive which can help the bandwidth but both are 1080p devices.
answered before that I was able to do 8 in and 8 out on minimal hardware... results can vary based on network. Some of the devices you mentioned are generally limited by wifi which is more specific for your exact environment. Though better with the DVR, live direct streams can be problematic with wifi as it can't be redelivered if there was an error.

pplwin

Postby pplwin » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed replies. Very informative & useful for my plans.

You are correct that I have Premium & Prime confused. CableCard don't really get one into cord-cutting mode. I am hoping OTA for local w streaming service will provide a hybrid solution. Premium vs YouTube TV favors the latter since it provides unlimited DVD & 6 streams. Service cost about the same per month. GUI for YouTube TV is a real downer. One also need to hack to sideload the app on FireTV since Amazon has no official support of anything Google.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm

Thank you so much for the detailed replies. Very informative & useful for my plans.

You are correct that I have Premium & Prime confused. CableCard don't really get one into cord-cutting mode. I am hoping OTA for local w streaming service will provide a hybrid solution. Premium vs YouTube TV favors the latter since it provides unlimited DVD & 6 streams. Service cost about the same per month. GUI for YouTube TV is a real downer. One also need to hack to sideload the app on FireTV since Amazon has no official support of anything Google.
Don’t forget that some things cannot be recorded on YouTube TV. Also recordings expire after 30 days. We tried it for about a month while transitioning between houses and it was ok but not great.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”