Cable channels periodically disappearing

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Jpsd1

Re: Cable channels periodically disappearing

Postby Jpsd1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Given the responses from the experts can we conclude the following in regard to Prime / HDHR DVR users?

1. We lose certain channels when the TA loses contact with our cable provider. When this happens we can still tune in to the most popular stations the system always broadcasts across our cable provider’s network but we tend to lose the less popular switched digital video channels that can’t be received without the TA.

2. The TA doesn’t appear to reconnect unless it is rebooted. Has anyone ever had one reconnect on their own?

3. When our primes run an automatic scan when the TA is down, the channels that have been lost disappear from our channel listing.

3. When we reboot the TA and run a scan the channels reappear although they no longer retain the delete or favorites annotations.

4. The issue with the TA’s (firmware, etc.) will probably never be addressed by the cable providers since they are not particularly interested in solutions that allow folks to avoid cable box rental fees.

The only question that appears to be something that could be addressed is whether or not Silicon Dust should eliminate automatic scans. This should mean that when we have to re scan after a reboot of the TA’s the channel information would not have disappeared from the channel list. Not certain, but with this solution we might not receive changes to the cable providers lineup until the user ran a manual scan on their devices.

Any thoughts?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:52 pm

The only question that appears to be something that could be addressed is whether or not Silicon Dust should eliminate automatic scans. This should mean that when we have to re scan after a reboot of the TA’s the channel information would not have disappeared from the channel list. Not certain, but with this solution we might not receive changes to the cable providers lineup until the user ran a manual scan on their devices.
Well, since the cable companies by law are required to publish lineup changes prior to them taking place, I imagine allowing a manual rescan to pick up new channels should be fine. You are usually notified on your bill when a lineup change is going to occur; if not, all providers publish a list of where lineup changes are published (usually with links to online versions of the publication) so you can see what the changes are going to be.

But, the background scans that the tuner performs should either be disabled, or at least a user-set preference to allow or disallow. The need to reboot a TA and then reapply channel favorite settings is quite a hassle. Also, the need for channel scans for a CableCARD-based device is unnecessary, as the CableCARD has its channel list and mapping; the only benefit to having the tuner scan the channels is so the UI and other software can differentiate between SD and HD versions of channels (which isn't always accurate anyway).

SiliconDust, again, please remove background channel scans from the Prime firmware: it causes more issues than it tries to solve, including the problems it creates for itself.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm

The other benefit is to know subscribed channels as for 95% of providers the maps aren't tailored to your subscription and the map will have all channels whether subscribed or not.

The way cablecard devices are expected to have full lineups and if you attempt to tune a channel not subscribed it states so at that time.

Personally I have not seen favorites/disabled not go back to how set once the TA is back up but i usually have a couple of days of it still being used/seenby the tuner but fail for many sdv requests prior to it being "dropped" back to cablecard-oob and probably end up resetting it before a background scan kicks in.

Jpsd1

Postby Jpsd1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:30 pm

But, the background scans that the tuner performs should either be disabled, or at least a user-set preference to allow or disallow. The need to reboot a TA and then reapply channel favorite settings is quite a hassle. Also, the need for channel scans for a CableCARD-based device is unnecessary, as the CableCARD has its channel list and mapping; the only benefit to having the tuner scan the channels is so the UI and other software can differentiate between SD and HD versions of channels (which isn't always accurate anyway).
Please excuse my ignorance but since I am not privy to SD's reasons for running background scans on the Prime I have a couple of concerns based on your response. Would really appreciate a comment from SD as to why automatic scans run on the Prime and if they are aware that when the TA is down the automatic scans result in the loss of SDV channels and the favorite / remove annotations that have been entered for those channels.

I utilize the SD "channel lineup" that in my case is very accurate in identifying channels as to SD, HD, and DRM. Are you suggesting that SD eliminate scans altogether or that they provide us with a toggle that turns off automatic scans? Would removing scans altogether result in the diagnostic menu being unable to provide us with a "channel listing" that includes those SD, HD, and DRM annotations? That wouldn't work for me since those annotations are accurate and what I rely on to pick my "favorites" and remove channels I will never choose to watch or record.
Last edited by Jpsd1 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jpsd1

Postby Jpsd1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Personally I have not seen favorites/disabled not go back to how set once the TA is back up but i usually have a couple of days of it still being used/seenby the tuner but fail for many sdv requests prior to it being "dropped" back to cablecard-oob and probably end up resetting it before a background scan kicks in.
Thanks for explaining why my experience has sometimes been similar to yours when my SDV channels fail to tune but are still listed on the channel lineup so when they are re-detected after the reboot of the TA the favorites / disabled info is still there. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective my SDV channels are those that I tend to watch the least so usually by the time I get around to noticing a problem, the TA has already lost all contact with my cable provider, a background scan has been run, the channel lineup is being obtained from the cable card and my favorites / disable info is long gone.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Postby thedoomster » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

I wanted to add that on the last tech visit for this issue, old splitters were removed for a couple of TVs that I had cabled for QAM (if cable box stopped responding or was being rebooted) as well as an amplifier that was no longer needed - my overall signal was actually too strong. He then verified my cable signals were "balanced". Didn't make any difference, the issue reappeared right on schedule.

The cablecard support guy I had talked to said all techs were getting a cablecard refresher. I wonder how true that is...

On Saturday I discovered missing channels again on myhdhomerun, the count down to 356 from 405. And I couldn't tune various SDV channels. After a TA/Prime reboot still couldn't tune those channels. After a rescan Sat. night, the channel count was restored and I could see the slices again but still couldn't tune some channels. Another reboot Sunday didn't help. Finally this morning a reboot restored access to those channels. This has become a regular weekend occurrence (except the missing channels, which happens less frequently).

I read on DSLReports that last year one TWC user's TA was changed to talk back at 12mhz instead of 10mhz to fix the problem. Anyone else get this fix or can verify that might be the problem?

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”