DVR: first impression....

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mrxyz

DVR: first impression....

Postby mrxyz » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Finally, got hdhomerun going, both with and without kodi (windows 10). My main reason trying out out hdhr was dvr capability.

Unfortunately,

- I find there is no grid style tv guide. This is the most intuitive.
- i find there is no way to edit channels, i don't want to see the non-english channels, which are 50% in my area.
- when recording say, pbs newshour. it records all the shows on all channels. in my area, with 3-4 pbs stations, and the show being broadcasted 3 times on each, it comes to 9 recordings a day. I just want to tell it which channel and what time, seems no way to do it.
- when recording shows, it seems there is no way to tell it to record new shows/episodes only.

thanks,
MR

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: DVR: first impression....

Postby nateb » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:31 pm

Finally, got hdhomerun going, both with and without kodi (windows 10). My main reason trying out out hdhr was dvr capability.

Unfortunately,

- I find there is no grid style tv guide. This is the most intuitive.
- i find there is no way to edit channels, i don't want to see the non-english channels, which are 50% in my area.
- when recording say, pbs newshour. it records all the shows on all channels. in my area, with 3-4 pbs stations, and the show being broadcasted 3 times on each, it comes to 9 recordings a day. I just want to tell it which channel and what time, seems no way to do it.
- when recording shows, it seems there is no way to tell it to record new shows/episodes only.

thanks,
MR
You can remove channels by visiting http://my.hdhomerun.com/ and clicking your channel number. If you click the star next to the channel twice, it will hide the channel from the app.

The PBS Newshour thing is actually an intentional thing. Some news shows have multiple airings with new content in a day and some don't. So if you attempt to record a show, it'll record all of them. Now you can choose to record a specific episode, but we don't have a rule that's in between. If you remove channels in the previous step, you can cut those out here.

When starting a new recording rule, you can tell it to only record "this season." That will only get new things going forward.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:32 pm

Isn't this season the equivalent of recording something that aired within a 90 day period ?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:15 pm

yes, if first aired in last 90 days (too many people didn't understand "recent" so it got "renamed" even more incorrectly... note that when it is on another network/station (most notably pbs) it may be marked as new again overriding any logic to "not" record if the series is set to record (as opposed to a one off).

Personally I think recent is better than new as I have never had a dvr that still obeyed "new" if for some reason it couldn't record (most recently my wmc machine recorded something it failed to record over 3 years ago for a series that was set to new). It is easy enough to force "new" if people really want such with 3rd arty tools or manually.

Note that just because there is a red dot, it does not mean it will record that, only that it is a candidate to be recorded. Also note that if you recorded it and the DVR sees that you have, it should not record it again unless marked as "new" and if you delete the show and don't want that episode recorded again make sure to delete through app and the default choice is to not record again... if deleted outside of app or one selects to rerecord, it will record when it airs again.

By the way, when I just checked pbs news hour it has season/episode number (most news programs don't) so "should" only record once per station and possibly only once if at the same time (though I think because of sports it may now honor the new setting on each station thus record both if at same time), however looking at gracenote's data, it marks it as new on the first airing on the subchannels as well so it would record twice for me (out of 3-4 airings) unless I disable the subchannel or use a 3rd party tool to set a ChannelOnly rule.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:59 am

If you don't watch all those PBS channels for anything else, you could hide all but one of them on the tuner.

mrxyz

Postby mrxyz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:19 pm

I appreciate the effort in trying something different/new, but unfortunately IMHO that is not practical, specially for HTPC users trying to do things with remote. So, for now I am going to pass on SD, but will be back again in future to see where your software is. I just need a good Media Center for movies and TV for my HTPC, with an excellent 10ft interface!

Thanks
MR

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”