Problems with recent changes firmware?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tspin

Problems with recent changes firmware?

Postby tspin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:01 am

Hi,

I have been really frustrated since about mid December with the quality and reliability of the product. I am not sure if this is hardware or software to be honest. I have been a user of the product for a long time (5 years?) and have purchased at least 3 units and now own a extend which has worked well for about a year.

I am running the most recent firmware on the Extend. My clients are an newish Windows 10 i7 hardwired desktop and 2 Amazon 4K firetv sticks that are also hardwired. These are all on the same flat network with no firewall restrictions. I am using an i3 qnap NAS to run the record engine.

Again - somewhere around mid December there was a firmware update to the HDHR software and the QNAP. Ever since then things have been bad. Freezing, protocol errors, black screens, etc..... I have disabled the record engine to just evaluate the stream of the HDHR and Antenna quality. The record engine appears to be working properly and not causing any issues.

The main issue I would like to solve is the playback quality. Here is a copy of Tuner 1 and 0 Status
Tuner 0 Status
Virtual Channel 15.1 WMTVNBC
Frequency 503.000 MHz
Program Number 3
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 100%
Signal Quality 67%
Symbol Quality 32%
Transcode Profile none
Streaming Rate 11.107 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.10.99

Tuner 1 Status
Virtual Channel 27.1 WKOWABC
Frequency 545.000 MHz
Program Number 3
Modulation Lock 8vsb
Signal Strength 100%
Signal Quality 86%
Symbol Quality 77%
Transcode Profile none
Streaming Rate 10.644 Mbps
Resource Lock 192.168.10.99

Tuner 0 is on the i7 windows 10 HDHR app.
Tuner 1 is being used on the HDHR app on 4K FireTV
Both are hardwired on 1G Ethernet ports.

I am getting glitching and tearing consistently. Can anyone give me some troubleshooting to see if I can track down the issues? Again - I have not made any changes to the system and these issues did not appear until mid December. So this is somewhat recent.

Any feedback appreciated. To be clear - this has been well worth the investment and rock solid for a long time. I am just not sure what changed and want the system to get back to ... just working.

Thanks

JoeHanson
Device ID: 107098AC, 10460A2B

Re: Problems with recent changes firmware?

Postby JoeHanson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:28 am

Have you checked the physical connection to your antenna or tested reception on a television set?

tspin

Postby tspin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:10 am

Have you checked the physical connection to your antenna or tested reception on a television set?
I have not... and kinda can't without much trouble. I have the antenna feed to the network rack where he HDHR lives.... and no coax to where the TV is on the wall. I could get a temp TV close or to test perhaps.

I thought with the signal strength at 100% and 86% I would be good.... Good idea and I will keep that in mind.

JoeHanson

Postby JoeHanson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:34 pm

I thought with the signal strength at 100% and 86% I would be good.... Good idea and I will keep that in mind.
But Symbol Quality is important too.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:04 pm

Worst thing one can have when troubleshooting is 100% strength as you don't know how much above 100% it is. The symbol quality is the most important.

JoeHanson

Postby JoeHanson » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:19 pm

tspin,

If you've installed the HDHomeRun exe, you can launch the HDHomeRun Config GUI application to monitor the Signal Strength and Quality and the Symbol Quality in realtime. You can see how stable your signal is.

It's installed in "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" on my PC.

I installed it on a small windows 10 tablet and used it in my attic to help aim my antenna.

tspin

Postby tspin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:46 am

But Symbol Quality is important too.
Thank you for this - perhaps the antenna is the issue.
Last edited by tspin on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tspin

Postby tspin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:47 am

tspin,

If you've installed the HDHomeRun exe, you can launch the HDHomeRun Config GUI application to monitor the Signal Strength and Quality and the Symbol Quality in realtime. You can see how stable your signal is.

It's installed in "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" on my PC.

I installed it on a small windows 10 tablet and used it in my attic to help aim my antenna.
Thanks for this - I will investigate and report back.

tspin

Postby tspin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 am

Worst thing one can have when troubleshooting is 100% strength as you don't know how much above 100% it is. The symbol quality is the most important.
Found this thread - helped. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=70008
Last edited by tspin on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tspin

Postby tspin » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 am

So - the symbol quality is varying all over the place... sometimes 0 to 70 or 80%. This occurs on most of the channels. hmmm..

My trouble with all this is nothing has changed.... I am using an ancient Terk TV 50 that has been there for at least 10 years. It is passive with no preamp. I will get into this and check the cable in-between and inspect the TV itself. Perhaps some critters have decided to make a snack of the cable. I know it can happen.

I may attenuate the signal down and see if there is an improvement, or if that aids in troubleshooting. I will then rule out the antenna and cable. I have a field test strength meter I can dust off to take this to the next level as well to verify the antenna at the source.

Again, I would have not thought to check the fixed elements of this system.... as they are usually the least likely to fail - or when they do it is complete failure. I do appreciate the information and will do my due diligence.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”