DVRing shows that start after NFL games

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Lessmore

DVRing shows that start after NFL games

Postby Lessmore » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:43 am

"The Orville" has an alleged start time of 8:02 (Sunday night after football). Is there any way to get my HDHR DVR to record "The Orville" or "60 Minutes" accurately after football with the correct start-stop times?

jseymour

Re: DVRing shows that start after NFL games

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 am

Boy, am I ever glad you posted this. Since we don't give a flying **** about sports, we don't tend to pay much attention to when games are on, and frequently get screwed by sports running overtime yet again.

There's no doubt that would've happened tonight Image

In answer to your question: No. There's not a thing you can do. The game will end when the game ends. Could be on-time. (HA!) Could be 20 minutes late. Could be an hour. Could be tomorrow. Who knows?

Used to be we merely didn't care about sports. Now we both actively detest them, and this is why.

As regards The Orville, you probably needn't worry about this for too many seasons. It's Fox. They'll cancel it. With any luck NetFlix will pick it up.

jbahlman@gmail.com

Postby jbahlman@gmail.com » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 am

We always add at least 1h30m to the end of any show on Sunday. Then you don't have to worry about sports. It is easy to skip ahead 10 minutes at a time and get to your show. I have had the same issue since DVRs were invented.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 am

We always add at least 1h30m to the end of any show on Sunday. Then you don't have to worry about sports. It is easy to skip ahead 10 minutes at a time and get to your show. I have had the same issue since DVRs were invented.
Good idea. Too bad there's no way to easily trim the garbage off the front.

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:09 pm

Thanks for those replies. I'll see if I can figure out how to add minutes to the DVR start time.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Gracenote (the upstream guide data provider of SiliconDust, Channels, Schedules Direct, and most other EPGs in the US, and many providers abroad) actually allow for this. Their guide data allows for querying about sporting events, including whether they are still in progress and running later than their scheduled end time. Programs than consume their guide data could then use this information to delay the recording of programs that air after sports programs (modify the start time), extend the recording of the program (modify the end time), etc.

The problem is that while DVR software may use some of Gracenote's sports information (to allow for creating recording rules to follow a particular team, for example), they very rarely if ever use the additional sports information to make their software truly unique. For instance, in addition to modifying recording times based upon whether a sporting event goes longer than scheduled (as above), Gracenote's information could also enable software to display a sports score ticker for completed and in-progress events with live-updating scores.

Gracenote's data also includes cast and crew information, which could enable DVR software to create rules based upon actors, directors, and other such information. (Imagine setting a rule to record late-night programs or talk shows when your favorite actor/director made an appearance. That other pioneering DVR hardware provider has had a similar feature to this for YEARS ...)

The problem isn't that your DVR software doesn't have the information to deal with problems such as this. The problem is that the people writing the DVR software aren't making user-centric software with convenience features taking advantage of the information they already have access to.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for those replies. I'll see if I can figure out how to add minutes to the DVR start time.
Uhm, I don't think that's what you want to do. You know it could start as early as 20:02. What you don't know is how late it'll start. So you pad the end to account for it starting, and ending, later.

Does that mean you'll end-up with a bunch of sports garbage at the beginning? Yes. Does that also mean the end of your program won't get chopped off? Probably. Does that mean there'll be Random Other Stuff at the end? Likely, but who cares?

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Thanks again, j.

Tangentially, does the HDHR DVR have a manual record button? I mean a button you can hit to start recording at any time until you tell it to stop?

spencer777

Postby spencer777 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:41 pm

I learned 30 years ago, you always record the next two shows

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 pm

Gracenote (the upstream guide data provider of SiliconDust, Channels, Schedules Direct, and most other EPGs in the US, and many providers abroad) actually allow for this. Their guide data allows for querying about sporting events, including whether they are still in progress and running later than their scheduled end time. Programs than consume their guide data could then use this information to delay the recording of programs that air after sports programs (modify the start time), extend the recording of the program (modify the end time), etc.
While the info is (in theory) provided, there are some practical problems, as the networks do not reliably start the following programs later (sometimes they join the program "already in progress"), and sometimes they just preempt the shows, and there is no consistency in the practice. And depending on the channel, the post game gibber jabber is either considered part of the game, or a is another show which can be adjusted in length to help/hurt the schedule. And local channels may also add in their own adjustments/shows (for local teams). So extending the sports recording itself may be possible, anything else may be miss (even if there is an occasional hit).

There are various longer term "fixes" being considered by the networks and the sports franchises as the various realities are addressed. Not all of them are likely to gain traction, and some could potentially be very traumatic for sports fanatics. "May you live in interesting times" is the alleged ancient Chinese curse.
Last edited by gtb on Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:45 pm

I am on the West coast and the Orville started late but it does come on again at 8:00PT but getting it to record is a PITA … I had to delete the 5:00 one. There has to be a better way as it shows the 8:00 as a candidate but I know as long as I have the 5:00 one it will not re-record... the only option is deleting it.... no way to force a re-record without deleting.

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:51 pm

I am on the West coast and the Orville started late but it does come on again at 8:00PT but getting it to record is a PITA … I had to delete the 5:00 one. There has to be a better way as it shows the 8:00 as a candidate but I know as long as I have the 5:00 one it will not re-record... the only option is deleting it.... no way to force a re-record without deleting.
If you processed the Orville file with MCEBuddy and changed it to another format like MP4, the DVR would not see it and record it again.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 pm

If you processed the Orville file with MCEBuddy and changed it to another format like MP4, the DVR would not see it and record it again.
Why would I want to do that ? it is easier to delete or move the file.… other DVR software I just go to the guide and select the 8:00 one and hit record... no need to delete or move.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:21 am

There are various longer term "fixes" being considered by the networks and the sports franchises as the various realities are addressed.
Here's a really outrageous solution: Somehow manage to fit the one hour game into the three hours allotted it.

I know: Crazy, right?

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:43 am

There are various longer term "fixes" being considered by the networks and the sports franchises as the various realities are addressed.
Here's a really outrageous solution: Somehow manage to fit the one hour game into the three hours allotted it.

I know: Crazy, right?
Just remember that American sports aren't about the sports; it's all about the marketing and commercials. With so many breaks in play—including breaks for the sole purpose of taking broadcast commercial breaks—and corporate sponsorship for every stadium, bowl game and team, there is no more joy of the game left; it's all a money-grab now.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”