HDHomerun View overscan and channel entry questions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
MidwesternVideoGuy

HDHomerun View overscan and channel entry questions

Postby MidwesternVideoGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:02 am

I've had great success putting together an older Google Nexus player and the later HomerunView software with my Homerun Prime and a hardwired Ethernet connection (via a USB-OTC dongle and USB Ethernet device), including protected content. This will replace a converter box I'm renting.

I have a couple of minor interface nuisance questions:

1. Is there any clever, more direct way of entering a channel number other than bringing up the virtual screen keyboard? My TV remote will actually send signals through the Nexus to HR View (presumably via HDMI-CEC) *except* number (digit) keys.

2. HDHRView plays perfectly, but has a considerable amount of overscan. I've not seen any hint of customizable settings to compensate for this, as you have in (for example) Kodi. Any tricks in this regard?

Many thanks. As noted, these are minor annoyances - the setup is what I'd hoped to achieve when I first bought my Prime but had nearly given up on protected content!

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Re: HDHomerun View overscan and channel entry questions

Postby GGRussell » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:32 am

HDHomeRun has no settings for overscan, but you should be able to compensate in Android settings.

MidwesternVideoGuy

Postby MidwesternVideoGuy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:11 pm

HDHomeRun has no settings for overscan, but you should be able to compensate in Android settings.
Thanks, GG....literally moments after I posted this, I dug deeply into the bowels of my TV and found an overscan setting. It was actually a compensation setting when using the screen as a monitor. Disabling that fixed the overscan issue. Now I just need a slicker way to enter that channel number!

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:38 pm

I recommend a flirc and an usb hub. It is an ir receiver that you program to any remote of your choice. That way, you can program it to use the number buttons on your current tv remote.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:47 pm

FYI - the HDHomeRun apps have a setting to compensate for overscan.

But if it can be fixed in the TV settings that will fix things for all apps.

Nick

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:05 pm

"Shrink for TV" just assumes a percentage of overscan and can not be changed or adjusted.

MidwesternVideoGuy

Postby MidwesternVideoGuy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:21 am

Question regarding the channel input issue...is HDHRView even written to induce a channel change if it detects a numeric keypress? Or am I always going to have to bring up the right-side channel list, then get to the direct-entry box at the top before *any* numeric entry would be recognized?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:55 am

Question regarding the channel input issue...is HDHRView even written to induce a channel change if it detects a numeric keypress? Or am I always going to have to bring up the right-side channel list, then get to the direct-entry box at the top before *any* numeric entry would be recognized?
You can change channel by typing a channel number and pressing enter/select. No need to bring up the OSD - that happens automatically.

There is a known OS bug using a remote with XBox. A keyboard plugged into XBox works.

Nick

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

"Shrink for TV" just assumes a percentage of overscan and can not be changed or adjusted.
Where is this setting found? It is not in the menu when you press Play/Pause 13 times on my Android TV devices.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Where is this setting found? It is not in the menu when you press Play/Pause 13 times on my Android TV devices.
I was able to find this setting in the Windows version of the app from the menu at the top left corner but it did not seem to make any difference.

I was able to reduce the size of the image from my AndroidTV box display settings menu to fix it but am still curious as to what the Shrink option does. Thanks

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”