Roku Supporting Mpeg2 decoding

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
congo1981

Roku Supporting Mpeg2 decoding

Postby congo1981 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Hey guys. Just found out about this. According to Lon Seidman, which you can see his latest weekly wrap up that talks about it at https://youtu.be/lfOPuqgMVtk, Roku now supports mpeg2 decoding. So SD, Nate, Nick. Anyway we can get the app for roku please. Greatly appreciate it.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Roku Supporting Mpeg2 decoding

Postby ACraigo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm

What about the other 99.994% of Rokus on Earth that can't?

No, Virginia - there will be no HDHR App for Roku soon.
Plex just found out how many legacy Roku devices are in play - way more than they had anticipated!

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Postby foxbat121 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:33 am

Why start another thread when it is already discussed here viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69440 ?

From my personal experience, it will not work out because:
1. Most cable channels does not play (MPEG2, non-DRM). Only local broadcasting channels play.

2. No AC3 decoding at all on any Roku.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 am

Are you sure about that? I would imagine that Roku TVs need to support AC3/Dolby Digital as it's part of the ATSC spec.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:16 am

Are you sure about that? I would imagine that Roku TVs need to support AC3/Dolby Digital as it's part of the ATSC spec.
My Rokus have been working fine with AC3 for a long time. There may have been some issues with my old Roku2HD, but all after that have been very well behaved. AC3 ain't the reason there isn't going to be an HDHR-App for Roku. Those ten trillion legacy Rokus that can't do MPEG-2 is the reason and as Plex found out recently - if you want to start a riot, just do something that breaks 'em and the Rodney King incident will seem like a day at the beach.

;)

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:39 am

I have 2018 version of Roku Premier. MPEG2 playback is only supported after Rolu 9 firmware update. But it still does not work properly playing channels from my Prime tuner via DLNA.

As for AC3, it can pass AC3 out but will not be able to decode them into PCM. If your TV does not support AC3, you will be out of luck even if you managed to get MPEG2 video to work. You can easily test this by set your Roku to 2-ch stereo output and see if you get any audio out of your Roku when playing anything that only contains AC3 audio.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:17 am

I have 2018 version of Roku Premier. MPEG2 playback is only supported after Rolu 9 firmware update. But it still does not work properly playing channels from my Prime tuner via DLNA.

As for AC3, it can pass AC3 out but will not be able to decode them into PCM. If your TV does not support AC3, you will be out of luck even if you managed to get MPEG2 video to work. You can easily test this by set your Roku to 2-ch stereo output and see if you get any audio out of your Roku when playing anything that only contains AC3 audio.
I did just find out my Ultra (4660) won't decode AC3. Apparently it passes it through because I do have audio when using AC3 audio streams - any flavor (5.1/2.0):
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... eo+Support

Ultimately, whatever you have at the end of the line should be able to handle what you've got and if that is the case - all is well. Anyone expecting a cheap Chinese streamer to act like a Media Server is likely to experience disappointment - but none of this is the reason there will be no HDHR App for Rokus. <---- it's those vast clouds of little black hockey pucks and sticks still in use out there that won't do MPEG-2. Period.

SD simply doesn't need any more hitches in the getalong and developing an app for a device, most of which can't do what is needed, is a sure-fire path to pain and suffering on a planetary scale.

Channels DVR developed a very beta Roku App that about half works, but apparently read the writing on the wall and abandoned the effort. Too many hurdles to cross. Probably a wise move.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:32 am

Most ppl buy these cheap streaming stick/box to use with their cheap TV or old TVs. In most cases, those TVs don't support AC3 at all.

The Rokus are way over priced for use with HDHR even if it works. Android TV boxes (even the cheap ones from Walmart) support HDHR apps and DRMs and MPEG2 as well as AC3 w/o issues and cheaper in most cases. Even the FireTV sticks and boxes support HDHR app and AC3 (but DRM is another issue).

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 am

My sister lives in Atlanta and they talk about Roku like it's the best thing since sliced bread. I couldn't convince her otherwise. They even bought a 55" Roku TV on Black Friday. As long as it plays Netflix, guess they are good.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:11 am

If you are on Comcast you do get streaming and on Demand on the Roku. They have yet to charge and I do use the beta... that alone is worth a cheap Roku stick.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:18 am

I think we covered it already in that other thread, but there's a list of show stoppers we have to work through if we want Roku support.

1. Variable speed video playback (how you get the clock sending the stream to match the clock on your device. Important for live feeds.)
2. A dramatically reduced buffer for changing channels (10 second buffer is crazy)
3. Building a UI (Unfortunately, Roku doesn't support the code we wrote either our old or new UI in, which means we'd need to make either a "HDHomeRun Lite" app based on the Roku media player, or spend months and months building a new app)

Three isn't really a big deal. The first two are the larger issue, because it means Roku will have to take an active hand themselves, since they're super locked down and we can't touch the player. There's certainly a conversation happening, but time only knows where exactly that conversation will go.

With that said, if you happen to have a Roku with mpeg-2 support, feel free to download the Roku media player. Our live channels are listed as DLNA options in the player, and you can play around with them right now.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am

I would love to use my FireTVs more, but unfortunately I'm a Plex User. If you haven't experienced the pain and suffering of using a FireTV (V1) for Plex, you just haven't lived. My FireTV is also vomiting on a regular basis with HDHR-DVR, is a little better with Channels DVR, but I'm still getting slapped regularly - no matter what I use on my FireTVs.

The most recent disaster served up by Plex for Roku limits the options, pretty much down to Zero, but out of all the non-working Plex options my Roku is still the go-to device. It's way less painful than anything else.

I don't need, or expect an HDHR app for Roku. That sounds like a whole new set of work-arounds and my work-around bench is full.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”