Signal Strength - OTA - with quatro

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rmansava

Signal Strength - OTA - with quatro

Postby rmansava » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 am

Is there anyway to see the strength of OTA signals?

I had a channel for awhile, but now it's not tuning. I'd like to do some micro adjusting of the antenna to dial it in.

When I tune it within the software I get Unable to Play Channel, no video data. None of the tuners from the quatro's webpage list the tuner in use.

jseymour

Re: Signal Strength - OTA - with quatro

Postby jseymour » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 am

Is there anyway to see the strength of OTA signals?

I had a channel for awhile, but now it's not tuning. I'd like to do some micro adjusting of the antenna to dial it in.

When I tune it within the software I get Unable to Play Channel, no video data. None of the tuners from the quatro's webpage list the tuner in use.
http://my.hdhomerun.com/ -> HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro <device i.d.> -> Tuner Status -> Tuner <N>

HDHomeRun Config GUI (hdhomerun_config_gui on Linux, hdhomerun_config_gui.exe on MS-Windows)

iOS: Signal GH

Android: ???

But if the Quatro can't see it, you won't get anything via those, either. Does a TV connected directly to the antenna see the channel in question?

rmansava

Postby rmansava » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:14 am

I think I'll have to try the TV tuner route. The quatro was picking them up this weekend but no signal today.

I think I was barely getting that signal. I tried opening the channel in vlc from the hd homerun setup which yielded a black screen. The only value filled in on the tuner info page was signal strength 78%.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

There was an Android app called "hdhomerun signal meter", but it isn't on Google Play anymore. You can find it on various APK sites if you know how to load an APK app in Android.

If you have a laptop, probably the best way is to go to the tuner status as described and keep reloading the tuner status every time you move the antenna.

You might also want to check https://antennaweb.org first. Local channels do change from time to time.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491

Postby elabra » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:46 pm

There was an Android app called "hdhomerun signal meter", but it isn't on Google Play anymore. You can find it on various APK sites if you know how to load an APK app in Android.

If you have a laptop, probably the best way is to go to the tuner status as described and keep reloading the tuner status every time you move the antenna.

You might also want to check https://antennaweb.org first. Local channels do change from time to time.
It is still available for download from a number of repositories - search google for "hdhomerun signal meter download" and download at your own risk. I have used it for years and find it easy to use, simple and reliable.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”