Antenna plugged into HDHomeRun vs Antenna plugged into TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
smicale

Antenna plugged into HDHomeRun vs Antenna plugged into TV

Postby smicale » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

I have a HDHomeRun Connect and I have been struggling with it to send OTA content to all my devices in my house. Sometimes my channels come in great and sometimes they drop out or get real choppy. I was contributing this to my antenna not being good enough but now I have directly connected my antenna to my TV and it is working flawlessly. My antenna was not a cheap one. I ended up going with the Clear Stream 4 Max 70+. The problem is I can't feed my other TV's this way. So I am wondering why my HDHomeRun Connect is not doing what it should. All my devices are wireless. My Connect is plugged into a switch in my bedroom and the switch in my bedroom is wired to my router in my office. Even on things that I record if the OTA content is coming in clear shouldn't my recorded connect be complete with no choppiness or dropouts? I know my house wifi coverage is real good as we stream other content all day long with no problems. I know the Connect does not do Hardware Transcoding but like I said I can stream these large files with no problems but my HDHomeRun content its like the broadcasts are breaking up but when plugged directly into my TV no issues. Any help provided would be great.

Version 20180817

Model: HDHR4-2US
Device ID: 104779AF
Firmware: 20180817

rpcameron

Re: Antenna plugged into HDHomeRun vs Antenna plugged into TV

Postby rpcameron » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

[removed by moderator]

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Hi,

The diagnostic log from today shows perfect reception, however the record engine is having problems. At one point the hard drive took 17s to respond to a write.

What is the record engine running on?

Nick

smicale

Postby smicale » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm

So this issue has been happening long before enabling the DVR service this past week. I have re-routed my DVR'd shows to my Buffalo Link Station (NAS) device. I am more concerned with getting the LIVE TV to play flawlessly all the time on all TV's. I may not keep the DVR service. So from what you can tell my OTA reception is really good?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:37 pm

I checked one recording (which failed badly due to not being able to write to disk).

Suggest unplugging the NAS, then watching live tv - if you find a problem station please stay on that channel for 10 minutes and post the date+time so I can check the logs.

We can run tests on the NAS once we have investigated live TV without the DVR.

Nick

smicale

Postby smicale » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:40 pm

I will have to do this tomorrow. It is late now and I need to get to bed. I appreciate you helping me get this fixed. I am going to rerun the setup and disable the DVR also. I will try and make this happen tomorrow.

smicale

Postby smicale » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I tried rerunnning the setup on my Mac and left DVR unchecked. It still seems to be enabled when I launch the HDHomerun App. How do I disable it?

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:50 am

I tried rerunnning the setup on my Mac and left DVR unchecked. It still seems to be enabled when I launch the HDHomerun App. How do I disable it?
I checked one recording (which failed badly due to not being able to write to disk).

Suggest unplugging the NAS, then watching live tv - if you find a problem station please stay on that channel for 10 minutes and post the date+time so I can check the logs.

We can run tests on the NAS once we have investigated live TV without the DVR.

Nick
See Nicks previous post

smicale

Postby smicale » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:03 am

Nick,

I have my NAS shut down and I am now unable to watch any station. I am getting a message saying, "Unable to play channel. Protocol error".

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 am

Hi,

You have a record engine running on your Mac, and it has been configured to use "/Volumes/DVR/HDHomeRun/" which doesn't exist.

There is a script in /users/HDHomeRun/ which will uninstall the record engine. It can easily be installed again at a later date by running the installer again.

Nick

smicale

Postby smicale » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:44 am

Ok,

I have the DVR service uninstalled. I currently have 2 stations playing on 2 devices. Waiting to see if the stream starts to scramble and break up.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”