HD Home Run App Locks up on Fire Stick 4K and Android Appp

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
wpb29

HD Home Run App Locks up on Fire Stick 4K and Android Appp

Postby wpb29 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:23 pm

I have recently purchased the HD Homerun and Fire 4V Stick 4K with the intent to streaming live TV. Within ~10 minutes of launching the HD HomeRun App on the Fire Stick 4K, Android app or iOS app, the channel locks up. I can clear the condition by changing the channel then returning the original channel.

Since I have it connected to my Plex server, the HD app uses tuner 0. The modulation is 8vsb, the signal strength is 100%, the signal quality is 90% and symbol quality is 100%.

If I watch live TV on Plex (with Fire Stick 4K), the channel freezes, but recovers, using the Plex server, the live TV uses tuner 1. The tuner stats are the same as tuner 0 listed above.

Shows recorded on the Plex do not freeze as they do on live TV.

Are any suggestions for further troubleshooting or solutions?

Thanks,

Update January 18, 2018: My guess the firmware upgrade to my router addressed the issue. For your record, my router is the Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 the router firmware version is V1.0.4.26.
Last edited by wpb29 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: HD Home Run App Locks up on Fire Stick 4K and Android Appp

Postby nateb » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 pm

Do you have a PC or other device you could test on? This may be a case of the Fire Stick 4k being a bit odd.

Edit: Sorry, I misread that. It locks up on iOS, Fire Stick, and an Android device? Then you'll probably want to show support. Enable logging as described in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=69066

Then your best bet is probably to email support@silicondust.com with your device ID. You can also post it here, but they tend to check emails faster.

wpb29

Postby wpb29 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for the feedback. Per your suggestion, I set up my tuner to send diagnostic information and reproduced the issue on Android and Win10. Then sent an email to the support team with my device ID and time when I reproduced the issue.

I can reproduce the issue on the HDhome Run app on the Fire Stich TV 4K, Android, IOS and Win10.

Regards,

lkraus
Device ID: HDHR3-US 10333F68

Postby lkraus » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm having the same issue. My initial channel usually locks up within first 4-5 minutes, stays locked up until I change the channel. Seems to be stable after that, whether I stay on the new channel or return to the original. Using Windows 10, Windows 7, or the Android app. Experimenting, I launched WMC, had the lockup at 3.5 minutes, did the channel dance, continued on the original channel. I then used the HDHomerun setup to launch another channel in VLC - that channel also locked up after ~4 minutes, though the WMC channel continued uninterrupted.

I think the problem started after I changed the firmware on my HDHR3-US in October. I'm not certain as I initially blamed the problem on a weak signal from my most-watched channel. I've since confirmed that it happens on all channels. At this point I'd be willing to go back to an older firmware if I could find it. I don't think it is a software problem since it affects different operating systems and devices.

EDIT, Dec 18: Tried a "preemptive" channel change today - switched channels right after starting up, but it still locked up after 3-4 minutes.

lkraus
Device ID: HDHR3-US 10333F68

Postby lkraus » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm not yet ready to say this problem is fixed, but three days ago I found that the time zone on my router was off by 13 hours. Since correcting that, live and recorded TV have been working properly, without the freezing I had been experiencing after 4-5 minutes.

Although I blamed the HDHomeRun firmware update for the freezing, there were router changes made at about the same time.

I'm not entirely convinced the time discrepancy was the problem, but it is worth verifying that your devices and router are set to the same time.

Edit, Dec31: Channel froze three minutes after beginning to watch, PC and router both had correct time, so there is something else causing the problem. This is kind of a deal breaker, as my main use is for time shifting programs. Right now, I cannot trust that my scheduled programs will be recorded.

wpb29

Postby wpb29 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:37 pm

After several weeks of testing, reproducing the issue and sending logs to the support team. My problem is solved. Near as I can tell, a firmware upgrade on my router fixed the issues. After the update, I am not able to reproduce the issue.

For the record, my router is the Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 the router firmware version is V1.0.4.26.

Cheers!

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”