SOLVED: Newer version of hdhomerun_record service for Linux and FreeBSD?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
averyfreeman
Device ID: 1326E235 1313788A

SOLVED: Newer version of hdhomerun_record service for Linux and FreeBSD?

Postby averyfreeman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Environment (version increases are over time period I've been using this VM for recording TV):

Code: Select all

VMWare vSphere ESXi 6.5 - 6.7U1 FreeBSD 11.1 - 11.2-RELEASE hdhomerun_record service 20180817 vmxnet3 10Gbe paravirtual network driver (source: open-vm-tools) 1x Intel 82598EB 10Gbe chipset PCIe card (the one that quits) ixgbe driver 2x Intel i210 1Gbe NIC integrated with C612 MB chipset (the one never quits)
Other services that may play a role:

Code: Select all

Samba w/winbind 4.7 - 4.8 (Windows domain member - just turned this off) NFS client (records to OmniOS VM w/ dedicated zfs array for the tv) rsync daemon
Hi,

I've been running hdhomerun_record service on FreeBSD for the past 8 months or so on VMWare vSphere ESXi and it's been working really well, until recently -

I bought a 10Gbe network card, Supermicro AOC-STG-i2 w/ Intel 82598EB controller, for this particular server and set it up with the vmware network infrastructure so it's available for all VMs (not 'passthrough'). The only problem is, now the FreeBSD VM stops recording TV after a few days - also won't play.

I noticed if I restart the hdhomerun_record service in FreeBSD the recording/playback starts working - so what is making it crash now related to the 10Gbe card? It's the only thing that's changed so it must be related.

Are there any updates to the FreeBSD version of hdhomerun_record I can try?
Last edited by averyfreeman on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Newer version of hdhomerun_record service for Linux and FreeBSD?

Postby jasonl » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm

20180817 is the current DVR release.

My first suspicion would be something related to saving to an NFS location. The DVR is intended to be used with local storage, and saving over the network may have unpredictable results. I would suggest starting by temporarily switching to local storage to rule that out as a potential issue.

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:53 pm

20180817 is the current DVR release.

My first suspicion would be something related to saving to an NFS location. The DVR is intended to be used with local storage, and saving over the network may have unpredictable results. I would suggest starting by temporarily switching to local storage to rule that out as a potential issue.
That's a good call, although I did have the NFS recording set up going for several months without issue using just the 1Gbe --

I think this may have been related to a setting that causes issues for me in ESXi - the directpath I/O for PCIe devices- it was turned on for an 'internal only' network (vSwitch without any physical adapters connected) so it's obviously not necessary, but I turned it off and I haven't seen the issue reproduce (yet). The internal-only network is what I'm using for NFS.

The only thing that makes me second-guess that is that I think it must have been turned on without my knowing before I got the 10Gbe card. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks for the support! I know it's a very unconventional setup that doesn't really warrant any real support from you guys, but it is interesting and hopefully helpful for other people, and I genuinely appreciate your feedback.

Edit: FWIW there's no reason an /etc/fstab NFSv3 mount w/ root permissions on an internal network that achieves an average of 24Gbps would be regarded as anything besides local storage by the OS.

That being said, it's not really an easy option since all the OS are on NVMe and the OmniOS VM is controlling all the spinning rust via a passthrough LSI SAS controller. Plus there are other considerations for the whole lab, like AD permissions being easier to deal with on a Solaris-like OS rather than in Samba, etc.
Last edited by averyfreeman on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:11 pm

It has been several days since I turned off 'directpath I/O' on the virtual device I have been using for the NFS share I record to using FreeBSD and everything has been going well for longer than it has in the past. Will update if setup decides that it's still not happy, but I am thinking this thread is solved.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”