Recommendation of best hardware that run HDHomeRun app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
vttom

Recommendation of best hardware that run HDHomeRun app

Postby vttom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:26 am

I just bought a Connect Quatro, got it hooked up, and installed the hdhomerun_record package on my Linux machine.

So far, things are working pretty good together. However, the only device I currently own that supports the HDHomeRun playback app, and that I can connect to the HDTV in my living room, is a Fire Stick 4K. And, as you can see from the recent thread of that name, the HDHomeRun app on the FireStick is having problems playing DVR'd content. (I don't get the green screen, but the de-interlacing is so bad it's almost unwatchable).

So I'm now looking at buying a piece of hardware to hook to my HDTV for the express purpose of running the HDHomeRun app. I would like to stay with the HDHomeRun app because I do plan to eventually ditch Xfinity cable and subscribe to the $35/mo HDHR Premium package, and, unless I am mistaken, if I want to be a able to DVR the HDHR premium channels I HAVE to use the HDHomeRun app.

So... What HDHomeRun playback hardware do people recommend?
Last edited by vttom on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arative

Re: Recommendation of best hardware that run HDHomeRun app

Postby Arative » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:40 am

Nvidia Shield is the probably the best, somewhat pricey unless you can find it on sale.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:46 am

I second the shield. If you want a grid epg you can use live channels which is just a skin for the hdhomerun app. I am more into cablecard than ota but from what I understand, you can record the premium channels with any program you want. If you are on a budget there is always the jetstream android tv box (walmart). However that box is new and although updates are promised it is not tried and true like the shield.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:50 am

The Shield for me as well. Just perfect for me!

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 am

It ran well on my Fire TV Gen. 2, but those are not available, any more, except on the secondary market. I'd take a pass on the cheap Chinese Android TV boxes (Xiaomi, Jetstream). Since Silicon Dust does not yet support the Apple TV, I'm afraid your only option is an Nvidia Shield.

Caveat: If you stream NetFlix or Amazon Prime and have a DD 5.1 sound system, only Fire TV and Apple TV handle DD+ -> DD transcoding.

vttom

Postby vttom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:17 am

you can record the premium channels with any program you want.
Can someone who subscribes to HDHR's Premium package confirm this? I was under the impression you MUST use the HDHR DVR software and playback app to DVR the premium channels that come in via Internet stream (rather than OTA).

vttom

Postby vttom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:32 am

Caveat: If you stream NetFlix or Amazon Prime and have a DD 5.1 sound system, only Fire TV and Apple TV handle DD+ -> DD transcoding.
At the moment, not an issue for me. All my sources go into my TV via HDMI, and then I go TV->Soundbar with TOSLINK. The TV can only send 2ch PCM. I've tried sending the audio directly from the source to the soundbar so that the soundbar gets the DD bitstream, but then I get audio/video sync problems. Since it's not a 5.1 soundbar anyway, I'm OK with the 2ch downmix.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:48 am

Can someone who subscribes to HDHR's Premium package confirm this? I was under the impression you MUST use the HDHR DVR software and playback app to DVR the premium channels that come in via Internet stream (rather than OTA).
Nope, once you've subscribed to Premium TV, you can record them using whatever software you want, just like OTA. Two possible reasons you might have heard otherwise is that sometimes these channels aren't available to other software when still in demo mode. And Plex still doesn't have a way to natively integrate them, so people have to use workarounds on that platform.

vttom

Postby vttom » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 am

Nope, once you've subscribed to Premium TV, you can record them using whatever software you want, just like OTA.
Interesting. I was under the impression that the HDHR RECORD software managed the Premium channel streams while the Connect hardware only served up the OTA streams. But it sounds like the HDHR Connect actually brings in the Premium streams and presents them to the LAN (more-or-less) like additional OTA channels. That makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. There's a whole lot more going on in that boring-looking little box that I thought.

So now I'm not quite so obsessed with trying to get a native HDHR player app going on my HDTV before I ditch CATV (although, unlike the apparent public consensus, I rather like the native HDHR app).

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 am

If you want to keep your fire tv, check out emby. There current beta has a ton of performance enhancements and very shortly, they will be including guide service for free with a premier subscription (similar to a plex pass). The only difference is from what I hear it handles premium channels better than plex due to supporting multiple guide sources. I have also found emby's gpu transcoder to be much more stable than plex.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Postby signcarver » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Nope, once you've subscribed to Premium TV, you can record them using whatever software you want, just like OTA. Two possible reasons you might have heard otherwise is that sometimes these channels aren't available to other software when still in demo mode. And Plex still doesn't have a way to natively integrate them, so people have to use workarounds on that platform.
Not exactly "whatever software you want" as legacy apps that rely on tuning by frequency (such as wmc) won't tune by the virtual channel number that would be needed. Other "legacy" software (such as myth) may require one to use a different method of tuning than one has set up the device for.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Not exactly "whatever software you want" as legacy apps that rely on tuning by frequency (such as wmc) won't tune by the virtual channel number that would be needed. Other "legacy" software (such as myth) may require one to use a different method of tuning than one has set up the device for.
That's why you have the expert designation and I do not. :)

torb

Postby torb » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am

To the OP, we've been pretty happy running on an Xbox One S. Not much more than a Shield and it serves as a UHD Blu-Ray player as well.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:27 am

To the OP, we've been pretty happy running on an Xbox One S. Not much more than a Shield and it serves as a UHD Blu-Ray player as well.
+1

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:29 pm

it serves as a UHD Blu-Ray player as well.
The only reason I went with XBox One S on the main TV. I already have a good collection of Bluray and 4k discs.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”