ces 2019

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: ces 2019

Postby nateb » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

Or is there some other reason for the delay of DRM recording, which statements from SiliconDust employees on this forum have indicated that DRM recording is ready and only waiting on the Prime 6 for release?
To my knowledge, zero Silicondust employees have said that DRM is ready and waiting on the Prime 6.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am

Or is there some other reason for the delay of DRM recording, which statements from SiliconDust employees on this forum have indicated that DRM recording is ready and only waiting on the Prime 6 for release?
To my knowledge, zero Silicondust employees have said that DRM is ready and waiting on the Prime 6.
Nobody said it was "done", but it has been stated before that the two were linked for some strange reason they refuse to explain. They also indicated that both would be available in mid-2018 but now we hear that Prime 6 hasn't even been submitted to Cable Labs. It's time for SD to cut the nonsense and start being honest about time frames. When you're YEARS LATE you can't fall back on the same vague excuses time and time again.

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm

It was back around June/July 2018. However, because the forums are culled with a greater-than-normal-or-expected frequency, I can't give a link to the post.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 pm

Like I constantly have stated there is no urgency for a Prime 6 as long as they think Premium TV will succeed.... losing those channels was a major hit to them so I am sure their priority is getting those channels back not a Prime 6.
Let me put it this way:

In an alternative universe without Premium TV or any other new HDHomeRun products, the Prime 6 wouldn't be coming out any faster.

Instead of talking about those new products, another thread has been detailed by wild speculation and FUD. Some criticism is fair (a lot of companies wouldn't allow any criticism -at all- on their forums), but let's stop derailing unrelated threads, okay?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Like I constantly have stated there is no urgency for a Prime 6 as long as they think Premium TV will succeed.... losing those channels was a major hit to them so I am sure their priority is getting those channels back not a Prime 6.
Let me put it this way:

In an alternative universe without Premium TV or any other new HDHomeRun products, the Prime 6 wouldn't be coming out any faster.

Instead of talking about those new products, another thread has been detailed by wild speculation and FUD. Some criticism is fair (a lot of companies wouldn't allow any criticism -at all- on their forums), but let's stop derailing unrelated threads, okay?
Well how the heck do you advertise a Prime 6 tuner at last years CES fail to deliver it and run out of Prime 3 that sure is some poor planning.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Let me put it this way:

Well how the heck do you advertise a Prime 6 tuner at last years CES fail to deliver it and run out of Prime 3 that sure is some poor planning.
Could this have happened because time and effort was put into Premium TV and 2 new DVR's? I don't blame them for new ideas/options, but maybe 6 months to a year late, they have some splainin to do!

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Let me put it this way:

This article claims that they asked SD what the delay was/is and detailed Premium TV and the two new products as the reason why.

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/

So shame on me for assuming that SD runs a linear process of 'one product/project at a time' but maybe somebody can clarify what alternate universe the author of the article is living in.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:23 pm

According to this they ran out of parts for the 3 tuner prime since many of the parts were EOL:

https://twitter.com/HDHomeRun_US/status ... 8106457088

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:30 pm

According to this they ran out of parts for the 3 tuner prime since many of the parts were EOL:

Maybe I should follow them on twitter more info there.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 pm

If any information like this is released on Twitter, Facebook or any other online source by SiliconDust I wish they would follow up and have that same information released here as soon as possible. (Hopefully right away but at least within 24 hours.) I thought things were improving with the addition of @nateb but it looks like communication still needs to be improved.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 pm

Let me put it this way:

Maybe it was poor planning (before my time). That still doesn't mean the Prime 6's release date has anything to do with these other products.
This article claims that they asked SD what the delay was/is and detailed Premium TV and the two new products as the reason why.

https://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/201 ... n-prime-6/

So shame on me for assuming that SD runs a linear process of 'one product/project at a time' but maybe somebody can clarify what alternate universe the author of the article is living in.
What some tech blogger says doesn't suddenly become fact. Maybe they got the wrong impression from their conversation or drew their own conclusions, or who knows what, but there's no way that anyone from SiliconDust told them that the Prime 6 was delayed because of other products. I can imagine they kept being bombarded by "where's the Prime 6" questions, and they were constantly trying to steer the conversations back to the new products they just released.

(EDITED to remove the "run-of-the-mill" comment. It wasn't fair, or relevant, to be dismissive of the tech news author)

Now I'm locking the thread because I just warned you guys about detailing the thread, and every single post since then just kept it going. You've got other threads already for the Prime 6.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 pm

Alright, unlocking the thread.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 am

If any information like this is released on Twitter, Facebook or any other online source by SiliconDust I wish they would follow up and have that same information released here as soon as possible. (Hopefully right away but at least within 24 hours.) I thought things were improving with the addition of @nateb but it looks like communication still needs to be improved.
Communication will always need to be improved. That's just how it's going to be unless we switch to a far more corporate method of communicating, where no information can be passed on before going through committee. It'd been much less info distributed, but all the info distributed would be distributed equally.

I don't know which way is better.

I do apologize for not noticing that that tweet went out. It's been a hectic week and I missed it.

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 am

I like the open format we have here but it's disappointing that information about SiliconDust is found elsewhere when we are talking about that very topic here with employees. That being said I think you're doing a great job Nate.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 am

This seems like something that could have been said here and a long time ago. [removed by moderator - see forum rules]

Return to “Future Product Discussion”