HDHRBevo support issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
techpro2004

Re: HDHRBevo support issue

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 pm

Also, the Rosewill nic has a realtek chipset. I have had very bad luck with realtek nics. I recommend an intel based nic. They last longer and are much more stable.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:10 pm

I have also heard reports of certain routers causing issues. I think it was netgear (not sure). However, I use their switches with out issue.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Also, the Rosewill nic has a realtek chipset. I have had very bad luck with realtek nics. I recommend an intel based nic. They last longer and are much more stable.
Hmm, I don't recall having problems with realtek nics, but I do agree that the intel nics are reliable and good performers. I use Intel NICs in my most important PCs (e.g. Home Automation PC, Desktop PCs). Of course they carry a superior price tag as well, twice as much as the Rosewill. I am also sure there are folks out there who have had very bad luck with Intel NICs, and others who would say the same about any NIC mentioned. Until a better problem determination is made on the source of this issue, since it could be anything, no use in speculating.

Gary

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Hmm, I don't recall having problems with realtek nics, but I do agree that the intel nics are reliable and good performers. I use Intel NICs in my most important PCs (e.g. Home Automation PC, Desktop PCs). Of course they carry a superior price tag as well, twice as much as the Rosewill. I am also sure there are folks out there who have had very bad luck with Intel NICs, and others who would say the same about any NIC mentioned. Until a better problem determination is made on the source of this issue, since it could be anything, no use in speculating.

Gary
Can you offload your record engine to a different PC temporarily? While this may not pinpoint where the issue lies with your current PC, it may determine that you, in fact, have an issue with that PC. Just a thought. (you will have to remove the current record engine while testing)

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 am

Jasonl and Nateb,

Well I have some new failures for you to take a look at (all time CDT):
1. NEP/PIT game on CBS, started recording at 3:25 PM, started watching about 5:00 PM, failed with MEDIA_ERR (image below) about 5:40 PM. I do not remember getting this error/popup in the past.
2. PHI/LAR game on NBC, stared recording 7:20 PM, started watching about 8:44 PM froze about 9:39 PM. It went back to main menu but I choose to restart the UI. This freeze looked like those In the past, but reacted differently. Prior to the freeze, after pressing the skip on the remote the video froze and for about 15 to 20 seconds a “buzz” could be heard, then stopped. When I pressed the Play button, it looked like it was trying to move forward but would immediately stop in what looked like the same frame.
3. Restarted the above game and used the 10 minute skip to reposition (about) where I left off. Froze with MEDIA_ERR (same as #1 above) about 10:03 PM. Throughout, the catch-up and other skips, the buzz could be heard for periods of time from 1 or 2 seconds to as long as 10 or 12. The video would pause during the buzz, but would continue when the buzz stopped. After this failure, I gave up.

Changes in my Win10 (1803) PC since my prior failures include:
1. Updated the Firmware in both Duo Connect’s to latest.
2. Updated the DVR software to latest.
3. Ran the above recording and playback on a new Rosewill (RC411v3, Realtek chipset) NIC (the internal Marvell cable disconnected).
4. One switch (hop) was removed. The DVR/Playback PC is now connected directly to the same LAN switch as the two Duo Connect boxes.
5. In addition to the HDHomeRun boxes having debug turned on, the DVR PC had the app debug turned on.
6. I have disabled the interrupt moderation settings on both NIC’s and changed the network throttling Registry setting as suggested. I did NOT update the Marvell driver as it seems I already have the most recent driver that is on the Marvell download site (Win8). The Realtek driver is the one installed automatically when discovered, so I assume it is the latest. I did NOT change any of the Offload settings on either NIC.

It appears the first game was recorded on Device 1041E97F, tuner 0. I forgot to check the second game but was wondering if a bad device (e.g. 1041E97F) could cause the lost data errors you saw last time and if there is any way to restrict usage to one device for future recording/playback testing?

Please let me know that you have seen this report. Thanks.

Gary

IMAGE BELOW:

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Jasonl/Nateb, any word yet?

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:28 am

Jasonl/Nateb, any suggestions on testing this weeks games?

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:39 am

Looks like SD isn't monitoring this thread any longer, but I will continue to post the results they requested. Here are my tests on Sunday, 12/23/2018 (all times CST).

1. Fox TBB vs DAL started recording at noon, started watching about 1:31 PM and at 2:44 PM froze, after about 20 seconds of buzz, kicked back to the recordings main menu. I had some control over that menu, in that I could move from the restart icon to the program start to the delete icon, but when I tried to select the program, it would hang for about 10 seconds. Had to restart the UI. I skipped back to approx where it left off and started watching but that only lasted a few minutes and it froze again at 2:49 PM. This was on Duo Connect, 1042DB1D, as I had unplugged my other connect.

About 3:05 PM I dropped power on the about Duo, and powered up 1041E97F to record the 2nd game.

2. CBS NOS vs PIT started recording about 3:25 PM, started watching about 5:00 PM, froze at 5:48 PM. Gave up.

The changes in this test focused on controlling which Duo device was doing the recording and as seen above, the freeze issue occurred on both. I do not know how to restrict the recording to the second tuner, if the tuner(s) are suspect I will need guidance on how to do that, if possible. So basically the environment is same as described in my Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm post above. As stated there, both the tuner(s) and app debug was/is turned on.

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:37 pm

Interesting Sunday. Recorded 5 games and had no freezes. All skips worked fine both types. Did have one strange issue however, that acted very similar to the video actions prior to a freeze. During the DAL vs NYG game (started noon CST), FOX, about 3:25 PM the skips started pausing the video for about a second and then continuing. At 3:35, with NO SKIP, the video simply kicked back to the main menu for no reason, indicating that game was completely watched. I restarted from the beginning, and skipped back to where I left off and all was find after that. Hopefully the HDHR & App debug may better indicate what happened.

Also, on the CLE vs BAL game (started at 3:25 on CBS, tuner 1, I believe) started pixelating REAL bad at the start of the playback, and for about 10 minutes. After, that the picture was fine. This game would have started while Tuner 0 (I believe) was still recording the end of one of the early games. Neither of those games showed any pixelation.

The things that have changed since last weeks tests are (1) new cat6 cable to DVR PC (2) different recording hard drive on DVR PC and (3) virus Scanning of the recording folder(s) was excluded (strong suspect).

Prior to the games on Sunday I ran the SD diagnostic tests (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5877), 2 hours one day, and 6 hours the next, on all 4 tuners, I had one tuner that had 1 t the first day and a different tuner (same channel) had 2 t’s the next day. Two different tuners had multiple s’s on the same channel (different days). None of the tests showed any n’s, on any tuner.

Today I ran chkdsk and a diagnostic scan on the original recording hard disk and nothing turned up. So I intend to go back to that drive for next weeks games and further monitor recording and playback to see if the issue is resolved or this test was an anomaly.

Interestingly, this week had two early and two late games on, the recording of which would have overlapped since each game is recorded with an hour pad. So (I believe) all four tuners of my tuners (two Duo Connects) each recorded a game and at one time all four were recording at the same time. So I have to believe the conditions were such that it represented an extensive test.

Gary
IMAGE:

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:10 am

Interestingly, this week had two early and two late games on, the recording of which would have overlapped since each game is recorded with an hour pad. So (I believe) all four tuners of my tuners (two Duo Connects) each recorded a game and at one time all four were recording at the same time. So I have to believe the conditions were such that it represented an extensive test.
Back-to-back recordings on the same channel only use one tuner even if the padding overlaps.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:43 am

Back-to-back recordings on the same channel only use one tuner even if the padding overlaps.
I didn't know that, thanks much for the feedback Ken.F. That means that the DVR is spooling two streams from the same tuner. Odd, that one stream would pixelate and the other not??

Gary

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I didn't know that, thanks much for the feedback Ken.F. That means that the DVR is spooling two streams from the same tuner. Odd, that one stream would pixelate and the other not??

Gary
Could be an error writing the stream to disk. If your drive is made of physical spinning platters and older than a year, then that is the most likely culprit. (Or perhaps some other intensive task happened at the same time as a write operation. Or there was a solar flare or planetary misalignment. Or ... there are myriad explanations.)

Jpsd1

Postby Jpsd1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Hey Gary,

My freezes have almost completely disappeared over the last couple of months until a couple of days ago when I updated Malwarebytes free on My Win 10 DVR machine. That update requires that you accept a trial of the premium version. That premium trial version loads virus protection into memory. After installing the update I immediately began experiencing freezes on my win 10 HTPC’s that included the viewing screen closing and reverting to the recordings menu. At the time the issue occurred there were 4 HD streams recording from my 2 HDHR Primes. I opened the task manager on the Win 10 computer doing the recording and noted spikes in CPU usage of 35% + for the Malwarebytes service. I unloaded Malwarebytes since I have other virus software installed and the freezes and lockups disappeared. Haven’t experienced any freezes or lockups since removing Malwarebytes. I know that we usually don’t want to load more than one anti virus software into memory but I haven’t had these issues with Malwarebytes in the past and I usually only use it in the free non-memory mode but that isn’t possible anymore since they require you to use the trial paid version before you can revert to the free version.

My experience over the past six years has led me to believe that signal quality, network performance and hard drive performance can all be factors in dealing with pixilation issues. Reducing the number of splitters in my cable feed and changing to gigabit ethernet both helped. Using a switch rather than plugging my Primes into the router also helped. Sometimes though you just have to accept the fact that the cable or antenna feed may experience an occasional reduction in signal quality resulting in a bit of pixilation. In the early days I experienced some negative results utilizing 5400 rpm drives for recording on my Win 7 WMC machines. When I changed to Win 10 I decided to bite the bullet and went with a 2 TB WD Gold 7200 rpm drive for recording. Since making that move I have recorded thousands of programs and up to six HD streams at once with few pixilation issues. I have two other 2 TB WD AVGP 5400 rpm drives I offload to for extra storage since they don’t have to do any of the actual recording.

Not sure if any of this will apply to your situation, but you seem to be someone who is always open to suggestions and appreciates any help you can get.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Thanks rpcameron & Jpsd1 for the feedback and suggestions. Certainly food for thought
Could be an error writing the stream to disk. ... there are myriad explanations.)
10+ minutes of pixelation is a lot for ONE of 4 streams to experience errors writing to disk, then clear up entirely. As for an explanation, I was/am expecting SD to look at the diagnostics (HDHR & app) to perhaps offer an "educated" explanation. But I'm not holding my breath.
My freezes have almost completely disappeared over the last couple of months until a couple of days ago when I updated Malwarebytes free on My Win 10 DVR machine.

Sometimes though you just have to accept the fact that the cable or antenna feed may experience an occasional reduction in signal quality resulting in a bit of pixilation.
I have a strong feeling the freezes may have been due to the Bitdefender target disk scans while the DVR was reading the stream from disk (time will tell). That would explain why I see the freezes on My W10 & Fire TV clients. Doesn't really explain why it freezes only on the skips however. In reading other posts on freezes, I saw another person who mentioned his went away when he excluded scanning and that sparked the idea. It would have been most helpful had SD put that tip in their troubleshooting bulletin (referenced above). It does make one wonder how other playback video providers deal with that issue. Most folks, like me, are not willing to turn off their security software entirely because SD video playback freezes on skips. :roll: While I may be able to mitigate this issue by doing all the things SD and helpful folks such as yourself suggest, if SD wants a return on their (DVR) investment, I think they are going to have to find ways to address these issues in their software/firmware. I have never had a freeze on my Amz DVR/Fire Tv, skipping or anywhere else. ;)

Gary

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Another interesting week-end of successes and failures. After last weeks tests I decided to go back to my original media fixed disk (T:). I started recording the first Saturday game and after about 1.5 hours started watching it. About 2 hours in, it froze on a skip. So, I changed back to my backup disk (E:) and started recording the 2nd Sat game. I watched it all the way through without any skip freezes. So, still thinking Bitdefender may be causing problems, on Sun morning I added all the SD .exe's to the exception list (only media directories were previously added). I then went back to my media (T:) disk. It occurred to me that the MCEBuddy monitor folder was the T: disk in ALL my tests, so for the Sun games, I killed MCEBuddy, thinking he may be in some way influencing the HDHR playback. Whatever the reason, neither of the Sun games had a skip freeze.

Since it appears folks from SD are no longer interested in this thread, I have turned off all SD debug options.

Gary

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”