NAS DVR engine installer fails on QNAP

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
EVOXGSR

NAS DVR engine installer fails on QNAP

Postby EVOXGSR » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:14 am

I have used the Windows NAS DVR installer​ on a Netgear ReadyNAS without issue in the past.​
Getting my new QNAP ready for use but the NAS installer fails to install on QNAP TS-453Be
The QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine​ does not work either. Installs but fails to load

​QNAP firmware version 4.3.5.0760 Build 20181114
I have reapplied and reset the NAS several times and always the same error.

Error Message:
HDHomeRun Share: Error
smbd not found or not running
Unable to install

smbd is running and verified via SSH
[~] # smb2status

smbd (samba daemon) Version 4.4.16
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 3 enabled.
[~] #

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Re: NAS DVR engine installer fails on QNAP

Postby signcarver » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 am

Originally that error seemed to pop up when the computer itself was not discoverable (nothing to do with the NAS but the windows computer). More lately it has been a combination of security updates on the NAS and Windows (particularly win 10) that have an issue with smb 3. It has been a while since I have seen it "in the field" but I think I once fixed it by forcing smb2 but other reading suggested it may be due to smb 1 being removed with latest windows updates.

However I suggest that if using the qnap package and post in that thread and demonrik should see it and be able to get you running (trying to understand fails to load... are you referring to not seeing anything when accessed through nas rather than the service directly through browser or is it a permissions issue with the old folder (again that discussion should be in that thread)

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 am

Hi,

Please enable "send diagnostic information" in HDHomeRun Setup (Advanced tab), run through the NAS Installer again, then post back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

EVOXGSR

Postby EVOXGSR » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:44 pm

signcarver,
Thanks for the guidance, I was finally was able to figure it out.

The Windows NAS installation never did work and I guess I gave up too soon on the QNAP installation package.
Well more like... I didn't want to read 28 pages and searching my error message yielded no resolutions.

Initially, I stayed away from the QNAP installation package method due to a line in the 1st post "The project does not contain a copy of SiliconDust's HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary"
But apparently the latest versions of the package does include the 'HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary'
I just assumed it was not working due to the missing 'HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary' and I could not locate it nor did I know what to do with it if I did locate it.

My knowledge of Linux is limited so to me some steps seem to be missing such as when the QNAP installer defaults recordings to a location that by default is inaccessible and then how to correct.

QNAP is adversed as being supported but ironically installing on an unadvertized product such as the Netgear ReadyNAS was easier.

So in my opinion the QNAP guide needs a refreshed to bring the information up to date and perhaps adding some more details for the less experienced.

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:53 am

Initially, I stayed away from the QNAP installation package method due to a line in the 1st post "The project does not contain a copy of SiliconDust's HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary"
But apparently the latest versions of the package does include the 'HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary'
I just assumed it was not working due to the missing 'HDHomeRun DVR Record Engine Binary' and I could not locate it nor did I know what to do with it if I did locate it.
Is a good point.. That line is meant to be wrt the code that is up on github, not the 'unoffical' prepackaged binaries which I make available separately.
I will update the text to make it clearer.
My knowledge of Linux is limited so to me some steps seem to be missing such as when the QNAP installer defaults recordings to a location that by default is inaccessible and then how to correct.
Lack of knowledge of linux is ok.. but you really need to understand your NAS and its tools.
The location is not inaccessible to the QTS Desktop - you can find everything in QTS (unlike Synology :()
The location is by default not just shared out which IMHO is a security issue. Creating shares without consideration for permissions is opening up potential security holes for your data. It was one of the fundamental reasons I choose to create the QPKG. If you wish to share out the folder subsequently then you can do that through the QTS tools - the difference is you choose, and you can setup what permissions and accesses you need.
To find the location used (it will vary depending on NAS configuration) you need to open the UI and look at the RecordPath. Then in QTS you can make that a share if you wish without implications to the DVR engine. If your one of those that the UI fails to open from the desktop link then use the URL workaround instead.
The UI failing to open is a known issue, but unfortunately I've been unable to reproduce on my 2 QNAP systems here, and as I don't have $100s to spend each month buying new NASes to find the issue I'm still waiting for a considerate soul to provide me with remote access to try and debug the issue on their NAS.. And considering security implications, I completely get why folks won't do that.. But leaves me with no root cause :(
So in my opinion the QNAP guide needs a refreshed to bring the information up to date and perhaps adding some more details for the less experienced.
Which guide?
If it's my thread - I will update as mentioned above to make it clearer.
Something else - will have to wait for SD ;)

tspin

Postby tspin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:47 am

Hi,

I updated my qnap and installed the latest package. I am getting a refused to connect error. The tuner and NAS are on the same network. The my.hdhomerun shows the HDHomeRun record option as 20180817. Any ideas?

demonrik
Device ID: 10736454, 1073A35A, 1075C377

Postby demonrik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 am

Hi,

I updated my qnap and installed the latest package. I am getting a refused to connect error. The tuner and NAS are on the same network. The my.hdhomerun shows the HDHomeRun record option as 20180817. Any ideas?
need more info..
is it the viewer app giving the error? or something else?
What/where is the app running?
Are you runniing any firewalls?
Are you using a real simple network, or are you using VLANs or other configurations?
Is there anything obvious in the record engine log?

Could be so many things...

tspin

Postby tspin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 am

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I get a protocol error from my amazon fire tv. If I clear the data and restart it the tuner kinda works but freezes all the time. No access to my recordings. The windows 10 app runs on my desktop with frequent pauses.

The refused to connect error comes from trying to access the app on the qnap.

These are on the same VLAN with a firewall that permits internal communication - it has been working for about 2 years with no change.

Thanks again for your help.

gibxxi

Postby gibxxi » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:34 am

the smbd error message is not referring to the app's ability to find the SMB service on the NAS. Rather it's failure to find the SMB 1.0 service, on Windows itself.

Microsoft have deprecated SMB 1.0 due to security concerns, and so it is disabled on Windows 10 by default. The SiliconDust DVR Installer needs SMB 1.0 to connect to the NAS to install the service, so without it the install will fail with the displayed failure message.

Also, if the service is re-enabled from "Add / Remove Programs -> Turn Windows Features On or Off" but the sub-item "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" is left enabled, it will still fail. This feature enables / disables SMB 1.0 on an add-hoc basis when it identifies another running service that needs SMB 1.0 support. If it doesn't detect such a service, it will disable SMB 1.0 in preference to 2.0 or 3.0.

Since the SiliconDust app isn't a service, when you attempt to set up DVR functionality, it will fail, as Windows has disabled SMB 1.0. Remove the checkbox next to "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal" under "Turn Windows Features On or Off" and it should work as expected. It worked for me where previously I was having no joy getting it installed at all.

It would be wise to mention though, that (much like HomeGroup support), there's a fair chance SMB 1.0 may be removed from Windows completely in the not-to-distant future, so SiliconDust will need to update their installer to use SMB 2.x / 3.0 for DVR installs to continue working.

However, since demonrik's QPKG adds more functionality than the default SiliconDust one, and can be disabled via QTS, and uses the same engine (AFAIK) as the official one, I'd go with that instead, and ignore the DVR tab in the Windows app.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:37 pm

That is false, and we do not recommend that anyone enable SMB 1 support due to it being completely broken security-wise. The installer itself does not use SMB. It logs into the NAS and tries to locate the running smbd process, which it then uses to work back to find its configuration file, which it then parses to find the HDHomeRun share location in order to set that as the recording location. This works on most NASes because most NASes are pretty much just a stripped down Linux install running Samba and various other open-source tools, with a custom web interface to tie it all together. Some systems customize their install more than others, and that can cause issues for the installer. Forum member demonrik put together a QNAP install package for the DVR, which is available from viewtopic.php?f=126&t=31745, and that is the preferred method of installing on QNAP.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”