When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Re: When Will New UI Be Pushed Out?

Postby Keenan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:01 pm

----
Last edited by Keenan on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm

<duplicated post>
Last edited by mcewinter on Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm

I don't want to read between the lines but more than a month ago we were told a new UI was in the works 'soon' and now you say "New features are not in the crosshairs at the moment". Does that mean the new UI will still be out "soon" but when it does come out "soon" it will not have the new features OR, "soon" means "in the distant future"?
To be clear, I mean we have our new feature set for this UI release set in stone, and we are not going to add more until this release happens. I believe earlier in this thread I detailed most of the new features for this release.

So in answer to the question, neither.
Thanks!

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Speaking for yourself, do you use Silicondust's solution "mission critical" in your home or do you just test stuff as it arises? I have always assumed the team uses their own product but I ask only because some of these issues, like I had described above, should be painfully obvious to somebody deeply atached to the product; I'm mildly amazed that the UI has functioned like this since its inception. And the lack of screen saver is something that should speak a little loudly to somebody invested in the product, or at least uses it daily; most videocentric apps have a screensaver implementation.
I might be the wrong person to ask about mission critical? I don't have a significant other and I'm not concerned about WAF. I use the HDHomeRun software for watching and recording. And when I'm not watching, I close or turn off the software and let the recording happen in the background where I don't have to care about it, pretty much as it is designed. I *think* that's how most of us use it. Even on the main set top box in the living room, I operate under the idea that the HDHomeRun software is playing something, is preparing to play or record something, or is off in favor of the main GUI of the device the software is running on. In my user case, a screensaver would be entirely pointless.

Going forward, it will likely be pretty beneficial to consider user stories like yours, where it sounds like you expect the HDHomeRun software to work more like a full media center, like Kodi or Plex/Emby, effectively replacing the default hardware GUI with our own GUI that plays music and podcasts as well as recording video and maybe even launching apps, where the user is pretty much expected to spend all their time inside that one GUI. A situation like that would make a screensaver make a lot more sense. Another related user case (that might also be like yours) would be someone coming directly from something like a Comcast DVR, where they really only want the HDHomeRun UI and absolutely never leave it. That would also call for a screensaver.

I wasn't around for the original UI development, so I'm not sure how much user stories were considered in putting it together. But going forward, hopefully we'll consider them more often.
Falling asleep in front of the TV is something that happens, speaking for myself of course ;) I'll use Plex to playback recorded TV if I anticipate this happening as Plex will fall back on the system screensaver.

Thanks for giving me your ear. Happy Holidays!

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:11 pm

On the way but no solution planned? That's a little discouraging. Is that still the case since this thread has aged a little?

I'm curious as to who at Silicondust uses what hardware. Do you guys go out of your comfort zone to use other equipment beyond your test bed? Like, in your home?
Definitely still the case. All UI heads are down right now working on solving last remaining bugs. New features are not in the crosshairs at the moment.

To pull back the curtain a bit, I'm actually a telecommuter at the moment, so office==home for me. And personally I use or test with an Amazon Cube Fire TV, a Shield, an Win10 dual monitor PC, A Win10 touchscreen laptop, an iPad, an iPhone, and an old Mac. I also have accounts or downloads of all our partner software (Plex, Channels, Emby, and Kodi). And needless to say, I've got a crappy HDMI switcher from some no-name chinese company. :)

My primary starting point for all tests is the Win10 desktop, since that's mainly what I work with. The hope is to be able to reproduce the issue there. If I cannot, I start narrowing down any given problem to the specific hardware or as much of a corollary as possible. If I can't reproduce with a similar device, we know it's down to something on that specific device, so we either go out and grab one of those, or the office may already have one. In the past few weeks, that's included the Fire TV 4k green screen issue, the iPad Pro issue, and ... I think a Fire TV TV issue (but I may be making that one up in my head). For the most part, it's usually fairly simple to reproduce a problem once we have the necessary hardware and a recording of the offending video.

We have one other developer who works remote out of the UK. And all the rest of the dev team is at the office. I don't actually know how many of the other guys go out of their comfort zone at home, but I do know that pretty much all devices get some pretty thorough testing at the office. Also, I think I'm the only iOS/Mac guy. Most everyone else is very much in the Android ecosystem for personal devices.
I don't see an Apple TV mentioned and you say you're the only iOS/Mac guy so does that mean the Apple TV app project is sitting on the shelf collecting dust? SD seems to have relinquished the Apple TV user market to Channels, which performs beautifully by the way.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Falling asleep in front of the TV is something that happens, speaking for myself of course ;) I'll use Plex to playback recorded TV if I anticiape this happening as Plex will fall back on the system screensaver.

Thanks for giving me your ear. Happy Holidays!
A binge setting and sleep timer is something I'd love to see incorporated that I don't think I've seen any requests for, actually. Maybe I've just missed them.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't see an Apple TV mentioned and you say you're the only iOS/Mac guy so does that mean the Apple TV app project is sitting on the shelf collecting dust? SD seems to have relinquished the Apple TV user market to Channels, which performs beautifully by the way.
At the moment our software doesn't run on Apple TV, so I don't do a ton of testing on it. If any of the partner apps have a problem and come to us, we can certainly help fix any issues.

Part of the reason we rebuilt the UI is to make it more conceivable that we could do things like expand to Apple TV. If that expansion does happen, I'll likely pick up an Apple TV.

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:22 pm

At the moment our software doesn't run on Apple TV, so I don't do a ton of testing on it. If any of the partner apps have a problem and come to us, we can certainly help fix any issues.

Part of the reason we rebuilt the UI is to make it more conceivable that we could do things like expand to Apple TV. If that expansion does happen, I'll likely pick up an Apple TV.
Good to hear!

mchias13
Device ID: 131D4055

Postby mchias13 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Going forward, it will likely be pretty beneficial to consider user stories like yours, where it sounds like you expect the HDHomeRun software to work more like a full media center, like Kodi or Plex/Emby, effectively replacing the default hardware GUI with our own GUI that plays music and podcasts as well as recording video and maybe even launching apps, where the user is pretty much expected to spend all their time inside that one GUI. A situation like that would make a screensaver make a lot more sense. Another related user case (that might also be like yours) would be someone coming directly from something like a Comcast DVR, where they really only want the HDHomeRun UI and absolutely never leave it. That would also call for a screensaver.
Nate, this is exactly how we run the HD homerun software on our main tv. The SD software replaced a WMC pc when that one died. For android, xboxone, appletv, I could understand not keeping the SD UI as the main screen, but those of us with dedicated pc's used 90% as a DVR, the SD UI is what I (and the family) would want as the main screen. If we want to watch something else, then we'd use a keyboard/mouse to pull something else up, like a browser or app. Overall, we don't have many big issues with the SD software, but the 1 thing that bugs me is the UI doesn't stay as the main screen like WMC, SageTV, or etc.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

the 1 thing that bugs me is the UI doesn't stay as the main screen like WMC, SageTV, or etc.
Something I would never want as I use all my devices for other things. Watching TV is only secondary. I like HDHomeRun app as it is now. I have very little complaints.

shoman94

Postby shoman94 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm

We're trying very hard to get it going this week (again, save for android because of fire tv).
It stinks that (it sounds like) us Android TV users will have to do without because of the Fire TV.
If that is the case, I'll do my best to keep ongoing updates about Fire TV. The issue is a performance one. For some reason roughly similar hardware on Fire TV performs substantially worse than hardware on regular Android. Last night we may have had a mini-breakthrough in narrowing down the cause. Will know more once engineeering has had some coffee or red bull or whatever.
I don't understand how that is the case. I have both the new 4k firetv and a new Sony Android tv. They both perform equally but 1080i content does not work on the firetv. I have had zero issues with performance on Android tv (Oreo).
I see zero reasoning for this since i use both every day extensively.

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Okay, I'm an SD noob, but a programmer for longer than most folks. I'm coming from decades of DirecTV with their varieties of DVR and scheduling guides. I have also used the Comcast hardware over the years. I currently own an extend and my four tuner connect arrives today.

I RARELY watch live TV, I can't stand commercials and I prefer to binge an entire season of a series. DVR functionality is the most important aspect of my new system. I've invested in a dedicated PC with loads of storage, 8TB so far.

Before I ripped the dish from my roof I tested various IPTV providers and OTA systems. I settled on the SD hardware but I'm still testing DVR software. Plex provides a guide in a format I'm used to and the flow makes sense to me. The lifetime price is also a plus, I'm not a fan of monthly fees. I installed the HDHomeRun DVR a couple days ago and it appears to be running fine. The current UI is innovative, but not what I'm used to seeing in a DVR. I'm a bit annoyed at having to install Kodi to access the DVR on Windows 7 or 8 PCs, that seams like a bit of a kluge. I can live with it, but I'm not a fan.

If a "standard" guide with a schedule is in the works for the new UI I would love to see it. If not, I'll probably go with Plex or Emby. I will be testing HDHomeRun Premium so compatibility with that is a must.

That's my two cents as a recent "cord cutter".

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Postby JeffRand » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 am

If a "standard" guide with a schedule is in the works for the new UI I would love to see it. If not, I'll probably go with Plex or Emby. I will be testing HDHomeRun Premium so compatibility with that is a must.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

daChurchPcGuy

Postby daChurchPcGuy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 am

Okay, that's all I needed to hear, I'll cancel my subscription to the HDHomeRun DVR service.

Thanks Jeff

neil459

Postby neil459 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 am

Yep, I agree. But whoever made that decision also botched a boatload of other decisions (IMO) with DVR UI. Hopefully, there are people at SD that are seeing what an utter mess that caused. Maybe not. But one can hope.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”