Alternative to EyeTV for OSX ?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
malos001

Alternative to EyeTV for OSX ?

Postby malos001 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:39 am

We've been using an HDHomeRun tuner for years now - first we had the HDHR3-US and now we have the HDHR5-2US. And we've used EyeTV on OSX for about 10 years (we used Elgato hardware before switching to HDHomerun). And for many years it's been rock-solid. We do have a very simple setup - we record OTA shows to an external hard-drive and we only watch them on that Mac Mini that has EyeTV.

But because EyeTV (Geniatech?) is not going forward with support for SD tuners I guess - eventually - we'll have to switch to different software. We have a Schedules Direct subscription and that too has been rock-solid. We generate the XML and EyeTV just uses that. Of course, all our stuff is "old" - Late 2014 Mac Mini and OSX Yosemite and EyeTV 3.6.9. There are so many options now that can use the feed from our HDHomerun tuner but they all seem to have problems (or are very difficult to setup).

I did try installing the Plex Server on our Mini and it actually did recognize the EyeTV content. But my understanding is that if you use their DVR option then you can't time-shift Live TV. The number of options is pretty confusing - Plex, Kodi, Channels DVR (we tried that one too - they don't have an OSX app), SD's own DVR, etc. From what I'm reading, none of them seem as solid as what we've had for almost a decade now.

We can't even try SD's DVR unless we upgrade our OS - which would cause EyeTV to have problems. So - any suggestions ? Should we just wait it out for a year and see if a really good choice emerges ?

Bob

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Alternative to EyeTV for OSX ?

Postby nickk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I think you can install OS X on an external hard drive. It has been a while but that might be a way to test an upgraded OS without breaking anything. Then you can try the HDHomeRun DVR.

Nick

malos001

Postby malos001 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Ah - I forgot that I used to boot-up our really old 2006 Mini from an external Firewire drive. Thanks, Nick. Is there a trial for the DVR Subscription so I can do testing ? (it looks like the Subscription is the only way to do time-shifting of Live TV)

Bob

dmbmke
Device ID: 10421A53, 1071527A

Postby dmbmke » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Try Plex. [removed by moderator]

The UI has significant differences that some users may find beneficial and it supports time shifting.

And they are a valued SD partner!
Last edited by dmbmke on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm

BTW - the HDHomeRun app supports time shifting of live TV with or without a DVR server/subscription.

More information:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=68424

Nick

pb_cymru
Device ID: 123144C7; 12319BB4

Postby pb_cymru » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 am

Bob, I was a long time user of Eye TV on a Mac Mini (very similar setup to you) and was forced to look for alternatives when Geniatech decided to no longer support HD Homerun tuners. There is no ideal solution unfortunately but the closest solution I found to EyeTV which has been accepted by the rest of the family was to use the SD DVR as a backend but link it with djp952's excellent unofficial Kodi PVR add-on: https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerundvr/wiki

I'd have a look at that if you decide to upgrade your OS. The SD software is ok on the mac but is a bit clunky to use. Also I have a problem on my macs (mac mini and macbook air) where it seems to have a micro stutter randomly every 5-10 seconds whereas Kodi is super smooth in comparison.

malos001

Postby malos001 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have High Sierra on an external drive now. I'll try the SD app first and then Plex and then Kodi.

Bob

malos001

Postby malos001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Well - after trying both Plex and Kodi I think I'll stick with Old EyeTV on an Old OSX version for as long as I possibly can. Plex ended up creating a massive number of files - what a mess. And - yes - I know most of them were probably video thumbnails or something but - yuk. Kodi seemed like a better interface but also way too much extra stuff and setup than I want.

I really don't need a "Media Server" app; I think that has become much more clear to me after trying Plex and Kodi.

I also tried the Silicondust OSX app but I just find it very clunky ; it also seemed unstable compared to EyeTV. But I know it's a relatively new product and I'm sure it will get better.

I just want what EyeTV is - a nice channel grid and a very stable application that just does two things (TV and DVR) very well. I think I'll just hold out as long as I can with what I have and then maybe by that time either Silicondust's app will be better or Channels DVR will have an OSX app.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:27 am

. . . . .
I just want what EyeTV is - a nice channel grid and a very stable application that just does two things (TV and DVR) very well. I think I'll just hold out as long as I can with what I have and then maybe by that time either Silicondust's app will be better or Channels DVR will have an OSX app.
Yep, we were in the same boat last year at this time and did convert to SD DVR. We were hugely disappointed. We were not able to keep our 2012 Mini on an old macOS version for just EyeTV.

You made the right choice for now. Hopefully, SD's DVR will get better.

Bgentile

Postby Bgentile » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:55 am

I'm doing the same thing and going back to EyeTV as long as I can. I will ride it out until it dies. I hope it lasts until late next year with the new new Mac OS requiring 64 bit apps. HDhomerun DVR has a solid recording engine but no Apple TV app and it is hard to find out what's on to record. Channels DVR has an unmatched Apple TV app but a clunky web viewer for watching on the Mac. While EyeTV does not have an AppleTV app it is unmatched for its advanced search options to find out what's on and to search for key words in programs to automatically record. Basically set it and forget it. It also has a great Mac OS app with a separate viewing window from the guide. Unfortunately EyeTV is dying a slow death with no future support for HDHomerun tuners, lack of a 64 bit app, and no Apple TV app. Hopefully HDhomerun or Channels improves over the next year. I would love for EyeTV to be updated but don't think that's going to happen. I would really love someone to legally make an open source alternative based on EyeTV but updated to 64 bits.

saul

Postby saul » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:11 am

Same here - riding it out as nothing else works for me. It may not be very large but Geniatech still has a revenue stream that they aren't paying attention to. I just renewed my TVGuide subscription (now €25 from the US!) as it was the easy thing to do. Maybe if/when they come out with 64-bit eyeTV 4.0 they could charge a few bucks for a HDHR plug-in to keep customers.

coloatty

Postby coloatty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:13 am

End of the line for EyeTV. My EyeTV TV Guide subscription is prepaid through August 2019. As of 02/05/2019, the TV Guide EPG is no longer updating. This is confirmed by others on the Geniatech/EyeTV forum, which I am since unable to log into. Previously used email and password credentials no longer successfully log in to the Geniatech/EyeTV web site. [off topic comment removed by moderator]

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”