Setting up LG N2R1 NAS for DVR (it works!)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
acoulson2000

Setting up LG N2R1 NAS for DVR (it works!)

Postby acoulson2000 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:50 am

I successfully set up my old, arm-based LG N2R1 as an HDHomeRun DVR.

This was a little surprising given the age and capabilities - for one thing, it only has 128MB of RAM. A couple of caveats: I haven't tried two simultaneous recordings yet, nor have I tried it with Premier.

I first had to install a modified "Tantalus" firmware from this site. In addition to giving you more optional services (and the ability to add your own), this firmware allows you to SSH into the NAS - a critical part of installing the HDHomeRun Record agent. I did this a while ago and don't remember exactly what steps I went through, but the main thing is that it allowed by to login using the "admin" user and grant the necessary rights to /tmp and to an HDHomeRun directory that I created under my volume1 directory (which I then shared as a WIndows share via the web GUI).

I followed the Manual Install steps - I recommend skipping trying to use the Windows-based setup process, it will fail and isn't necessary if you walk through the whole manual process. I didn't realize that the Windows viewer doesn't find remote DVR agents, which through me off a bit, but when I tried Kodi with the HDHomeRun addin or the Android app, they both worked with the recorder.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”