Live TV problems - stutters/freezes/timeout errors

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
asauers

Live TV problems - stutters/freezes/timeout errors

Postby asauers » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:20 pm

I have posted "me too" in several threads now...figured, I'd start my own.

For the past several weeks I have been experiencing lots of stutters/pixelation/freezes..sometimes timeout errors while watching live TV on both my Nvidia Shield and Nexus Player (both hardwired).

Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 13222ADD
Firmware: 20180817

My router is an Asus RT-AC86U with a comcast 150 mb/s connection. I can't pinpoint any changes around the time it started happening (router or hdhr firmware). It seems to happen every 10 minutes or so....but sometimes hours without an issue. So...any ideas??

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Live TV problems - stutters/freezes/timeout errors

Postby nickk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi,

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" again on the PRIME - it disables itself after a while and it looks like it turned itself off.

Nick

asauers

Postby asauers » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi,

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" again on the PRIME - it disables itself after a while and it looks like it turned itself off.

Nick
ok, it's back on.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:09 pm

The HDHomeRun is happy, however the client isn't keeping up.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the Android app (press play/pause 13 times to open the menu).

Nick

asauers

Postby asauers » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 am

The HDHomeRun is happy, however the client isn't keeping up.

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the Android app (press play/pause 13 times to open the menu).

Nick
on on both the shield and NP.

asauers

Postby asauers » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:51 am

problem occurred several times on the NP this morning between 5:45 - 6:30ish AM.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:53 pm

You're getting some network packet loss. Do you have another switch/router you could test with to rule out a problem with the Asus?

asauers

Postby asauers » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:55 am

You're getting some network packet loss. Do you have another switch/router you could test with to rule out a problem with the Asus?
I don't. Are there optimal settings to try? I've had this router since the beginning of the year and the problem has only shown up in the past few weeks. No other devices are having issues and running ping tests on my laptop consistently show 0% packet loss.

asauers

Postby asauers » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 am

router ping test this morning from my laptop (connected to the same switch as the Shield)

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.229/0.428/6.259/0.315 ms

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Unfortunately, ping isn't a meaningful test for this level of loss. Ping sends 1 packet per second, while a video stream is hundreds or thousands. Even just a couple being lost will result in visible issues.

There aren't typically any settings you can adjust that will impact the LAN side of consumer routers. Their settings are typically focused on traffic crossing between the LAN and WAN sides, or on the wireless side, while the LAN side is kind of just there and left to do its thing. The only effective way to troubleshoot is to isolate it, such as by using a different router, or by inserting a switch so that traffic between the HDHomeRun and playback devices never goes through the router.

asauers

Postby asauers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:58 am

Unfortunately, ping isn't a meaningful test for this level of loss. Ping sends 1 packet per second, while a video stream is hundreds or thousands. Even just a couple being lost will result in visible issues.

There aren't typically any settings you can adjust that will impact the LAN side of consumer routers. Their settings are typically focused on traffic crossing between the LAN and WAN sides, or on the wireless side, while the LAN side is kind of just there and left to do its thing. The only effective way to troubleshoot is to isolate it, such as by using a different router, or by inserting a switch so that traffic between the HDHomeRun and playback devices never goes through the router.
that's unfortunate. i really don't know what would cause this out of the blue. it's certainly annoying enough for me to abandon HDHR though.

asauers

Postby asauers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:21 am

I have noticed that the stuttering/pixelation occurs almost exactly every 10 minutes.

asauers

Postby asauers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:25 am

STILL looking for some kind of solution. I have installed a switch (before the router) that the prime and both clients are plugged into. This should eliminate the router from the equation, correct? I am still experiencing picture breakup about every 10 minutes...sometimes enough to stall the image and then I get the "weak signal" screen. It seems to happen mainly on MPEG2 channels (although it has occurred on H.264 channels as well).

paulpoli

Postby paulpoli » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:27 am

Me too...

I see this problem on multiple devices so I am certain it is in the HDHomerun device/software.

Right now I see it on a Win10 machine connected on the same Cisco SG300-28P switch which should have the horsepower to handle the content. I see the same issue as on my primary TV option which is a RaspPi3 running OSMC w/ zuki.pvr.hdhomerundvr.

wtg

Postby wtg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 am

If you haven't yet, check out the Network Packet Loss post. The 2nd post on that thread provides a quick and easy way to determine if you're experiencing low-level packet loss. If confirmed then the 1st post provides a number of ways to determine the source and try to fix it.

I used this to diagnose a slowly failing switch, and at another point discovered I couldn't use my DVR server to do GPU mining either :)

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”