Audio drop out with Nvidia Shield

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dshookowsky

Audio drop out with Nvidia Shield

Postby dshookowsky » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I've been running HDHomerun for a few years. I recently purchased a NVidia Shield TV to replace my Raspberry Pi 3. The Pi3 worked fine, but was unable to view the DRM channels. The NVidia can view the DRM channels, but unfortunately, the audio stops every 10 minutes or so. This only seems to happen with the HDHomerun app so far. I was able to watch several programs on Netflix without issue.

This is a problem with live TV and recordings. The Shield is connected via HDMI to the receiver and from the receiver to the TV via HDMI.

This started as a flawless Windows 7 Media center that could playback and record all content (DRM included) and has steadily gotten worse.

asauers

Re: Audio drop out with Nvidia Shield

Postby asauers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 am

does the picture also freeze/breakup? it happens every 10 min or so and lasts for 3-4 seconds. this has been happening for me for several weeks. Nvidia shield and Nexus player (both hardwired), so it's not a shield specific issue.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Any difference if you bring up the settings screen (play/pause 13x or tap the volume slider 26x) and turn off Use AC3 passthrough?

dshookowsky

Postby dshookowsky » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 pm

The picture is fine. This is an audio-only issue

I never knew there was an option for AC3 passthrough - that's well-hidden. Giving that a shot to see if it affects anything.

dshookowsky

Postby dshookowsky » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 pm

I've enabled AC3 passthrough from that settings dialog and that seems to have solved the issue.

delvirtud

Postby delvirtud » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

I've enabled AC3 passthrough from that settings dialog and that seems to have solved the issue.
Odd, I am having the same issue, however, the AC3 passthrough was already enabled. I disabled it and I think it solved my problem.

A little background: for me this is only occurring on HD HBO channels with that have DRM. I would play the show and in about 15 minutes my receiver audio would begin going in and out. The video was fine the whole time. If I forced closed HDHomeRun and reopened it, it would again be fine for about 15 minutes. Disabling the AC3 passthrough seems to fix it. It has only been about 30 minutes so I will update if the problem arises again.

delvirtud

Postby delvirtud » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Odd, I am having the same issue, however, the AC3 passthrough was already enabled. I disabled it and I think it solved my problem.

A little background: for me this is only occurring on HD HBO channels with that have DRM. I would play the show and in about 15 minutes my receiver audio would begin going in and out. The video was fine the whole time. If I forced closed HDHomeRun and reopened it, it would again be fine for about 15 minutes. Disabling the AC3 passthrough seems to fix it. It has only been about 30 minutes so I will update if the problem arises again.
Update. Soooo, it doesn't "fix" it. It just dumbs down the audio to linear PCM. When is the real fix coming? Is this a HDHomeRun app thing or is this an Nvidia Shield thing or a collaborative fix?
Thanks,
del

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”