6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
goofnroxx

Re: 6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

Postby goofnroxx » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:22 am

...SD is attempting to make the device IPTV-capable as well as being a legacy CableCARD device....
That would be killer.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:35 pm

CableCARD is a mature technology, there's really nothing else to be designed into the tech other than adding more tuners so the reason it's taking so long to materialize must be something other than the tech itself.
Supply chain, CableLabs approval to name a few.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

And not to mention that CableCARD is a dead technology.
Really? Ask the millions of cable users!
Most of them have boxes and not HDHomerun units so the cable boxes eventually will be replaced with non cable card units... it is a dying technology. I can get all my Cable Channels with a Roku also on Demand. X1 platform does not use Cable Cards.
It doesn't matter how many people use cablecard, as long as it's an FCC requirement for cable providers to provide one upon request. That's how standards work.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Postby Keenan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 am

Really? Ask the millions of cable users!
Most of them have boxes and not HDHomerun units so the cable boxes eventually will be replaced with non cable card units... it is a dying technology. I can get all my Cable Channels with a Roku also on Demand. X1 platform does not use Cable Cards.
It doesn't matter how many people use cablecard, as long as it's an FCC requirement for cable providers to provide one upon request. That's how standards work.
True, but only if the cabelco is using the technology that a CableCARD device can use. Comcast, the nation's largest cableco, is already bringing new channels online but only with an IPTV transmission format, these channels are not available to CableCARD devices. Comcast is actively moving towards all-IPTV and about half of their deployed STBs are already IPTV-capable. Being required to provide a CableCARD is one thing, having to transmit your content in a format CableCARD can use is something else altogether.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36 am

One possible reason for the delay in bringing the Prime 6 to market is that SD is attempting to make the device IPTV-capable as well as being a legacy CableCARD device.
Nope. The reason for the delay is they are dismissing their obligations and reacting to the market place. First it was Premium TV to compete with other IPTV offerings. Second was the Servio/Scribe to compete with Amazon's offerings.

It's clear that honoring their existing commitments doesn't rank very high on their priority list.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 am

One possible reason for the delay in bringing the Prime 6 to market is that SD is attempting to make the device IPTV-capable as well as being a legacy CableCARD device.
Nope. The reason for the delay is they are dismissing their obligations and reacting to the market place. First it was Premium TV to compete with other IPTV offerings. Second was the Servio/Scribe to compete with Amazon's offerings.

It's clear that honoring their existing commitments doesn't rank very high on their priority list.
This is why it might not hurt to include us with this kind of news in real time. Now it just kind of seems like maybe they don't know what they are doing when they say one thing and do another. I'm a little irked by this. Now I'm questioning the UI release. They said it's a technical issue but we may learn from a news article that that's not true.

Wasn't the new UI architecture due out 30 days after the Lon Seidman/Ted Head interview last year? I'll have to rewatch it.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:14 pm

True, but only if the cabelco is using the technology that a CableCARD device can use. Comcast, the nation's largest cableco, is already bringing new channels online but only with an IPTV transmission format, these channels are not available to CableCARD devices. Comcast is actively moving towards all-IPTV and about half of their deployed STBs are already IPTV-capable. Being required to provide a CableCARD is one thing, having to transmit your content in a format CableCARD can use is something else altogether.
I'm sorry, but that's not true. The current law says that cableCARD access must be provided if requested. The IPTV exception doesn't apply if the customer requests a cableCARD from Comcast. Being required to provide a cableCARD means being required to support a cableCARD system.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

I'm sorry, but that's not true. The current law says that cableCARD access must be provided if requested. The IPTV exception doesn't apply if the customer requests a cableCARD from Comcast. Being required to provide a cableCARD means being required to support a cableCARD system.
Lock this thread too from your bully pulpit... a moderator that has 22 post now comes along and starts warning people give me a break.. have you actually posted anything useful or helped anybody ?. I guess your next step is to ban people if they do not agree with you.

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:41 pm

Lock this thread too from your bully pulpit... a moderator that has 22 post now comes along and starts warning people give me a break.. have you actually posted anything useful or helped anybody ?.
I was just about to ask who NedS is and what his role is.... When Nate came on board he came out and introduced himself and explained his role

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 pm

Lock this thread too from your bully pulpit... a moderator that has 22 post now comes along and starts warning people give me a break.. have you actually posted anything useful or helped anybody ?.
I was just about to ask who NedS is and what his role is.... When Nate came on board he came out and introduced himself and explained his role
I am taking a sabbatical from this forum .. there is nothing new coming … the release of the duo from a video I saw will be sometime in April taking pre-orders in march … and the Prime no one knows.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:10 pm

Lock this thread too from your bully pulpit... a moderator that has 22 post now comes along and starts warning people give me a break.. have you actually posted anything useful or helped anybody ?. I guess your next step is to ban people if they do not agree with you.
While trying to pull seniority on a paid employee is an interesting take, I'm not here to fight with anyone. I closed another thread because it kept being hijacked for a topic that this thread is actually about. It has nothing to do with disagreements, nor am I even trying to stop the criticism SD faces regarding the Prime 6 (thought I do disagree with some of the assumptions being made).

If you are taking issue with what I said about cableCARD then I would be interested in hearing what you have to say. I'll never ban someone for disagreeing with me. I'm actually a pretty nice guy once you get to know me.

NedS
Silicondust

Postby NedS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 pm

I'm just a tech support guy that got brought on during the holidays. Honestly, I'm still getting up to speed with everything, and it's been a bit of a trial by fire. I've only recently had time to become more active on the forums, where I'm expected to help answer questions and give out helpful information. I suppose I should do an introduction post, though I'm not really anyone special.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 pm

NYPlayer - NedS is awesome - he has strong industry experience and is keen to help customers. Please make him welcome.

Nick

rrussis82

Postby rrussis82 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 pm

Well Welcome NedS

Timing isn't that great to start seeing you respond as many of us are a bit perturbed over recent non announcement I guess you can call it. But SD is a great company, and the bickering usually stops within a few weeks, went through the same with the PTV channels issue.

scyto

Postby scyto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:37 am

Hi NedS, welcome.

This is nothing compared to the endless threads on DVR supporting protected content channels OR can I have grid layout please. I never cease to be amazed at peoples need to rehash stuff. But hang in there, you have good products and this community can be fun too!

Return to “Future Product Discussion”