6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
n9lya1

Re: 6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

Postby n9lya1 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

My local Cable co told me I was only the 2nd cable card user in their area here..
I have the Prime 3... Patiently waiting for the 6.
Ilike my HDHOMERUN Setup!! a 6 Tuner would open up a whole world I recently upped my Harddrive space by mirroring 2 6TB Drives into a 12TB Drive for all recorded media.. Then anything I want to save I save on an external array... Nice..

It would be nice if there was an email signup for when the Prime 6 is available or maybe a $35 pre buy where those who pay $35 get first chance to buy and if nothing materializes or we do not want it then, we can add the $35 to our DVR acct as credit?

Just a thought.

Jerry :D

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:20 am

My local Cable co told me I was only the 2nd cable card user in their area here..
Ilike my HDHOMERUN Setup!! a 6 Tuner would open up a whole world I recently upped my Harddrive space by mirroring 2 6TB Drives into a 12TB Drive for all recorded media.. Then anything I want to save I save on an external array... Nice..

It would be nice if there was an email signup for when the Prime 6 is available or maybe a $35 pre buy where those who pay $35 get first chance to buy and if nothing materializes or we do not want it then, we can add the $35 to our DVR acct as credit?

Just a thought.

Just a FYI, if you mirrored 2 6TB drives, you would only have 6TB of storage. It sounds like you are striping the drives to get 12TB. Be warned that if one drive were to fail you'd lose the data on both drives.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:38 am

Just a thought.

I heard the 6 tuner Prime is not even in production so it could be a long wait.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Just a thought.

I sure could use one. Comcast ended my long stretch of free HBO so DRM is irrelevant to me. It was a welcome feature to view DRM for all of a few months.

Paul.C

Postby Paul.C » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 pm

I can understand not wanting to give a date. There are many factors that SiliconDust don't control, like how long certification takes, or lead times for manufacture.

However - it'd be reassuring to know how far along it is, and what's left to do. Mockups/props? working in the lab? ready to be certified for emissions? ready to be certified by CableLabs? approaching pre-production?

To ask for a date just sets us up for disappointment. Most of the factors outside SiliconDust's control fall towards the end of the development process, and we're not talking variability of a few days.

But I do think it's reasonable to ask how far along things are, and what hurdles remain. We don't even know that.

Hope SiliconDust will consider sharing that information. We're all excited and have our wallets out. If you need us to be patient, it would be best to set our expectations at some level. Letting us know where you're at is one way of doing that without making promises you may not be able to deliver on.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:22 pm

Just a thought.

We've already been waiting like 5 years, whats a few more? :P

meltonkt

Postby meltonkt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:10 pm

As an alternative, how about just letting me buy the old Prime until the new one comes out without having to resort to some Craigslist backalley crack deal? I understand that taking preorders for the Prime 6 creates all sorts of logistical and liability issues if there are unexpected delays, but I am ready to drop my cable box today and go to an older Prime in preparation for the day the 6 becomes available. The only place I can find it sketchy looking offerings on eBay.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 am

As an alternative, how about just letting me buy the old Prime until the new one comes out without having to resort to some Craigslist backalley crack deal?
The problem would appear to be that the old devices are not in production, there are approximately zero returned and remanufactured devices available, and it (essentially) makes zero sense to spin up manufacturing of something that has such a short sell date. If you could commit to buy enough enough devices to justify the run, perhaps it could happen? How many thousands of devices can you commit to purchasing?

I do not know, and do not expect to hear, the details regarding the various delays (there is no right-to-know internal company details). All one can do it wait patiently for the announcement, or choose another path.

DualRated

Postby DualRated » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:00 pm

New here, first post, I'm also very interested in any update on this product. Just upgrading from Ceton/WMC to Plex and I really need a compatible CableCard tuner. Still would love to know, what year will this be released???? (because 4 question marks must be better than 3)

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

New here, first post, I'm also very interested in any update on this product. Just upgrading from Ceton/WMC to Plex and I really need a compatible CableCard tuner. Still would love to know, what year will this be released???? (because 4 question marks must be better than 3)
You can find used 3tuner primers used, but 6 is better cablecard prices and all.

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Just a thought.

tick tock with every strike of the clock the economic viability of selling the product diminishes and the other guys prices fall... as far as the general market knows the silicondust cable tuner never existed [ask 10 people randomly on the street]. The likely issues as to why they can not secure the right components [possibly at the expected price given the trade situation since it seems like all the chip makers are sitting on a lot of stock] reminds me of the 4 tuner transcoder that never happened in either ota or ocur. But that was more about the the new 4 tuner transcoder SoC sold out production for a couple of years and the company that made it got bought out a couple of times as well.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Postby Keenan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 am

And not to mention that CableCARD is a dead technology.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:12 am

Really? Ask the millions of cable users!

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:29 am

Really? Ask the millions of cable users!
Most of them have boxes and not HDHomerun units so the cable boxes eventually will be replaced with non cable card units... it is a dying technology. I can get all my Cable Channels with a Roku also on Demand. X1 platform does not use Cable Cards.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Postby Keenan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 am

One possible reason for the delay in bringing the Prime 6 to market is that SD is attempting to make the device IPTV-capable as well as being a legacy CableCARD device. Otherwise, it must simply be a business decision as to whether the market for a CableCARD device is really there anymore and how large/small it might be. CableCARD is a mature technology, there's really nothing else to be designed into the tech other than adding more tuners so the reason it's taking so long to materialize must be something other than the tech itself.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”