6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
techpro2004

6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

Postby techpro2004 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:06 am

I know you don't like to commit to specific release dates but I am starting to loose hope. Will we see a 6 tuner prime this year? Thanks.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: 6 tuner prime in 2018 ???

Postby nateb » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm

I understand people being impatient, but three question mark impatient seems like quite a lot.

edit: It's possible joking around with this question isn't going make me very popular. :) Seriously though, we are working hard to make the 6 tuner cable card happen. When we have a hard date, you guys will be some of the first to know. Right now, we don't have a hard date.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:52 am

I understand about a date, but can I at least get a year?

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 am

I understand about a date, but can I at least get a year?
Maybe they will release them after Cable Cards are no longer in demand.

RockandRoller70
Device ID: 1311127E / 1322D7A7

Postby RockandRoller70 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 am

When we have a hard date, you guys will be some of the first to know.
Being first to know would be a change for the better. Too often we are forced to find stuff out from Lon Seidman or obscure internet articles. Given the time and effort the user community here puts in, that always struck me as disrespectful.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:15 am

Being first to know would be a change for the better. Too often we are forced to find stuff out from Lon Seidman or obscure internet articles. Given the time and effort the user community here puts in, that always struck me as disrespectful.
Do you know, I don't think it's ever occurred to the team that doing a Lon video would strike the forum community negatively. Without any sort of official blogging area, I think we've kind of been using Lon as an outsourced vlogger for us.

Internally we're discussing pretty seriously starting up a blog. I know Nick is interested in blogging about how the architecture for Premium TV works. Those of you who are into the tech side of this would probably love it.

That's kind of a rambling way of getting to my question. What would be a good way to alert the forum members first? Would publishing a blog post about whatever news here (and maybe at the same time on the main site) work?

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

nateb, you still have not given me a year but I will answer your question. My suggestion, is to create a locked folder on the forum and put blog entries into that. That way, we would only have to check one website to get all the data we need. Also, I can see a different solution constantly getting delayed and pushed back like the 6 tuner prime.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:30 am

Do you know, I don't think it's ever occurred to the team that doing a Lon video would strike the forum community negatively. Without any sort of official blogging area, I think we've kind of been using Lon as an outsourced vlogger for us.

Internally we're discussing pretty seriously starting up a blog. I know Nick is interested in blogging about how the architecture for Premium TV works. Those of you who are into the tech side of this would probably love it.

That's kind of a rambling way of getting to my question. What would be a good way to alert the forum members first? Would publishing a blog post about whatever news here (and maybe at the same time on the main site) work?
Yes that Lon YouTube Video might have been out too soon but I am sure it was OK'd by Silicondust … My feeling is that us prime users are being left behind.

techpro2004

Postby techpro2004 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:36 am

I feel left back also. I am constantly worried that something will go wrong with the prime 6 development and there will be no other affordable options for a cablecard tuner. I have invested a lot of time and money into this system and I don't want it to go to waste.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:49 am

Lon is great, I'm a subscriber so nothing against him.

I'm coming at it more from the point of view of we have a dedicated and passionate user community. Many of us check in on the forum daily. We're often begging for the tiniest tidbit of information and yet we're mostly given absolutely nothing. Instead, we find things out when the rest of the planet does. I think that kinda sucks.

I mean really, what's the big deal in letting the dedicated community in on some things before everyone else? Would at least reward people for their support and dedication to the products.

Even when information is disseminated here, it's often by Nick in the midst of a particular thread. No rhyme or reason to any of it.

I'm often left with the feeling that SD doesn't really value the community as much as they should.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:56 am

I feel left back also. I am constantly worried that something will go wrong with the prime 6 development and there will be no other affordable options for a cablecard tuner. I have invested a lot of time and money into this system and I don't want it to go to waste.
While I don't have the feeling that they're going to bail on cable card support right now, the pessimist in me can see that it's suddently not going to be a priority for them any more. The priority will be where the money is and that's certainly going to be Premium TV.

OTT is the latest, greatest and now SD has skin in that game. They were stretched thin before this and the pace of development was extremely slow. I can't imagine that getting any better.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:14 am

While I don't have the feeling that they're going to bail on cable card support right now, the pessimist in me can see that it's suddently not going to be a priority for them any more. The priority will be where the money is and that's certainly going to be Premium TV.

OTT is the latest, greatest and now SD has skin in that game. They were stretched thin before this and the pace of development was extremely slow. I can't imagine that getting any better.
I think you're both missing something really important. Silicondust is the unqualified leader in the field of cable card network tuners. Might be the leader in cable card tuners altogether. That took some truly epic investment and gives us an edge in the market that's almost incomparable. There's a reason why we're saying we're committed to the 6 tuner Prime. Because there's value in being the market leader in an area.

ihermit2

Postby ihermit2 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:43 pm

Yeah but cable card as a solution is running out of runway unless we can convince the FCC to do an about face. I sure hope everyone here harasses their government representation regularly, because I personally hate more than no grid guide the mess that is the cable box/satellite individual app 100 little subscriptions and other solutions to the problem that a reasonable DVR solves.

KryptoNyte

Postby KryptoNyte » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:07 pm

It is strange how this media situation is actually starting to regress with all the fragmentation. One day we'll look back and remember how extraordinary it was to have all our media delivered on one organized system. The common person thinks it would be great to have everything al a carte, but as it turns out, it's quite the wild west of media delivery in the direction it's headed.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Yeah but cable card as a solution is running out of runway
CableCARD is long term dead. The FCC agrees. Everyone has accepted that for around five years (anyone with blinders who was not paying attention should have heard it by now). However, long term dead is likely at least another decade for some providers(*) (although perhaps less for others)(***). And the cause is not that CableCARD itself is bad for what it did/does (although because it only addressed the linear QAM providers was one of the nails in its coffin), but that CableCARD is no longer viable to be able to deliver the service(s) people want moving forward.

(*) Which is why there is still a market for CableCARD devices, and while the T company may never design a new CableCARD device from scratch (existing newer products ready to release may happen), the T company, and SD (and the C company, likely would have if it did not go sidewise(**) will continue to offer such products for sale. There is money to (still) be made.

(**) The C company, in one of their pivots to a new direction, managed to go into bankruptcy, even if they likely would have otherwise considered continuing their CableCARD offerings (one of which, for the commercial line, was documented to include DTCP-IP support).

(***) The rumors continue to fly regarding some MSOs aggressive schedules.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”