Recurring "unable to play channel" error with NAS DVR enabled

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
snorkelcork

Recurring "unable to play channel" error with NAS DVR enabled

Postby snorkelcork » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:16 pm

I have a HDHomeRun Connect (104B1085) running with the DVR running on a QNAP x86 based NAS. Works fine for a period, but after it had been running for a few hours, the native apps on Android/iOS/Mac will fail with "Unable to play channel protocol error". If I stop and restart the DVR using the command-line on the NAS everything is fine again for a period of time. The NAS has plenty of room and no other errors I can find indicate any error.

Any idea on how to fix this for the long term? I have attempted to just have the NAS restart the DVR daily using cron but something must not be working or it happens more often then daily.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Recurring "unable to play channel" error with NAS DVR enabled

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm

In most of the instances when you have started the DVR, it was done without the config file being specified. Without a config file, the DVR doesn't know where to record, and will generate an error if you try to use it. Looking through the logs, the DVR has been started 13 times in the last 10 days, and 11 of those were without the config file. Ideally you will set cron to start it just after a reboot, and include the config file on the command line, e.g.

Code: Select all

/share/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun_record start --conf /share/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun.conf

snorkelcork

Postby snorkelcork » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:17 pm

Thank you. I will adjust that. Still not sure on long term cause/fix but this might be a good enough solution.

danv100

Postby danv100 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you jasonl. Your solution worked for me. I did not have the configuration file set. This also resolved the conflict where I was unable to use the DVR.

Code: Select all

/share/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun_record start --conf /share/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun.conf
I am running the software on: Ubuntu 17.10 (GNU/Linux 4.13.0-45-generic x86_64)

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”